Thread: C5 corvette questions

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

C5 corvette questions

This is like my second home so figured I'd ask, I'm going to look at a 2000 Vette over the weekend, just wondering if theres anything I should check specifically on the car? I've always been an fbody guy so corvettes are relatively new territory, save for the engine, for me. Its an FRC btw.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Are you going to swap in a 2001+ O/S? hehehe That would be the first suggestion <grin>.

Seats tend to have issues (rocking) as they age on the C5's. Other than that, just a few electrical gremlins like battery run down. A trickle charger will usually prevent that issue though.
    ABS module can be an issue and a new one is ~$1300 but ABSFixer.com will fix just about any ABS issue you may have.

Look at the rear end to make sure it doesn't have "leaky butt syndrome". The left diff cover tends to leak over time. It's usually something you can fix yourself but if you can get one without leaks that's a plus.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Check the headlight up/down a few times for the 'coffee-grinder' sound. Easily fixed, but a good bargaining chip. Also check the front frame rail pieces. They're designed to ride over parking lot dividers, curbs, etc. If the owner was careless, and really hammered something, these can get badly damaged. Fixable, too, but another good bargaining chip. Check the front tires. Too much camber and toe will peel off the inside edge of the front tires. Rears, too, if the alignment was non-optimal.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

A Billy Bob Vette eh?

Seats, headlights, check the codes No, but really, check 'em because there is a "quirk" where the AC baffles get out of calibration. Requires taking the motor out and clocking it if I recall. If it's an F55 the replacement shocks are insanely expensive. Most guys get the F55 shock simulator modules so they can run aftermarket shocks without throwing a code.

If you do buy it invest in a column lock disable module so you don't get stranded.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Senior Tuner
    Try to look for corrosion to the PCM/TAC connectors and wiring or the area under the battery tray. Many leaky batteries over the years. Can definately be some hidden damage under there. Large build-up of trash and grass on radiator and condensor can cause hot running and poor AC performance. I've also seen some really bad repair work to the bodies and inner structures as far as bonding and surface repairs. check the gaps and inside of the jambs and trunk areas closely. Frame damage will usually show just behind the lower control arms as that is where the "crumple" usually starts to happen. You can usually see that through the wheel well.

Also damage to the floor boards or rocker areas from improper jacking or lifting.

One more thing, some of the interior trim pieces and seals are are starting to go obsolete so the cost is starting to go up and availability down. If the interior is too used up, it could cost a lot to make it right.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 08-27-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Jaime

Potential Tuner

Posted by jegsemplyee - corvette performance

Check out this funny car taken in 1980
    what about the C5 Z06, tons of guys seem to have them?