Thread: VE Table - Any way to automatically add 10% while tuning?

Advanced Tuner

VE Table - Any way to automatically add 10% while tuning?

Fogive me for any errors in what I'm writing down as it's been a while since tuning my car and configuring the scanner so what I'm referencing may not be right. Anyways when we tune for MAP vs RPM in the VE Table, we're generally targeting stoich for anything below PE. Go through the process of multiply by half, paste, etc etc to get within +/- 1 or whatever we feel comfortable with.

Now in the lower rpm columns and lower MAP rows, a large cam will surge to some degree so we generally try to make these cells a bit richer, which I know for me has been a manual process of adding 10%+ after tuning the whole VE table.

I'm curious if there is a way to automatically when tuning, especially during RTT, add a +10% target fueling to the troublesome cells we know need to be richened up a certain amount (ie the table is targeting 14.6, but in lower areas we want to target say 13.2). There may already be a way to do this in the scanning software or editor and it's just not apparent to me, but if anyone can help direct me in the best way to configure this it would be of great help!

Thanks all!
    2002 BSM T/A WS6 #3371 (Sept 12, 2002) "LOB"
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

only way is to set your vehicle to go into PE mode at low RPM's by setting pe at those rpm's to 0%tps
    then you can command richer down low
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Is this a practice that is ever followed, or is it the norm to balance the VE table, then add % wherever it's needed?

I'm just trying to find a way to make life easier while tuning on the go.

The area of concentration for me is around 45kpa and below, around 2.4krpm and down.
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

selct area, type in 1.10 and click multiple button

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Quote Originally Posted by Japeatr View Post
    selct area, type in 1.10 and click multiple button
    does you no good unless you are in open loop....
    hence why I said to put in open loop via PE so that you can command what you want
    if you are in closed loop, it will just trim back to where it wants to anyways and putting 10% more in will be removed by the pcm anyways...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Car is running full time OLSD. The MAF mysteriously disappeared from the car some time ago

as long as you are in open loop,...
    add 10% to the cells in question...

to be honest..it sounds like maybe your issue might be more of an injector timing issue...
    its very possible you are seeing a false reading in the lower areas of the VE table where overlap is most apparent on a cam.
    if you push the injector timing to a later point in the cycle, you can effectively keep some of that fuel mixture from blowing out the exhaust before it gets used...
    thus giving you a more true reading of actual air fuel.

obviously there can be disadvantages of this as well... push too far and you are just spraying raw fuel into the combustion chamber with an intake valve open and you just wash down the cylinder walls...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    I was actually contemplating on doing this to test everything out, until my cyl# 7 decided to bust a ring for no apparent reason. $3k later I have my baby back. I had the two back injectors richened up by 2#'s to keep them a bit safer since more air is pushed back. So this will naturally give the slightest false rich reading for the other 6 cylinders so I gotta be cognisant when tuning.

Before the ring went running rich in the low rpm and low load areas seems to work well against surging. Just sucked for get up and go when I need to until outta that range.

I have a ton of reconfiguring to do now and want to push out what power I can, but keep the engine safe in case of any bad gas or anything else for that matter.