Thread: Can't write high speed

Tuner in Training

Can't write high speed

Hey all,

I've got a MPVI interface, and as long as I've had it, I've never been able to write high speed (it times out on the bootloader in high speed). Low speed works fine.

FWIW, I've tried 3 different laptops (1 ghz P3 w/ 1 GB RAM and XP, 2 Ghz P4 w/ 2 GB RAM and XP, and 2.2 Ghz Core2Duo w/ 4 GB RAM and Win7). No change.

Same behavior in my old GTP, the 3 different LS1 RX7s I've owned, a friend's otherwise stock Camaro, a stock Buick Regal, and 4 other LS1 RX7s I've worked on. They all work 100% fine in low speed, but time out the boot loader in high speed. Some of the LS1s are 99+ PCMs, some are 98 (about 2/3 of them) PCMs. I know, 100% that I do not have any voltage issues in most of these cars (my car for sure). It's a fresh battery, and 0 gauge to power and ground, with ECU and OBD2 power pulled (and fused) out of a 0 gauge lead to a distribution block. The car has no HVAC, no wipers, no power windows, no stereo... nothing to draw down power or induce noise.

So, any ideas on this? If it's not my laptop, and it's not my car, perhaps there is an issue with my MPVI box? Are there firmwares that can be flashed on these? EVERYTHING else but this works great on it (well, there are some weirdness with PIDs for '98 vs. '99 on the 2+ BAR MAPs, but that's another story).

Thanks!

Blake
    1988 Mazda RX7 TII - Forged 347" LS1/2004r/3600 stall/Stage III Heads/Cheatr Cam/Precision 76GTS/E85/HP Tuners 3 BAR OS

Did you email support?
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training
    I did a long while back, they said it was a voltage problem, cut and dry.

But, 'tis not.

I went with it then, because it was a fresh build, and no one is perfect. I'm quite confident in my car now, and even more confident that all 10+ cars I've worked on did not all have identical voltage issues.

edit: FWIW, I know I never had any problems with my old serial interface (been using HPT for a long time), though I can't recall if it had a high speed option or not. I've slept since then.
    1988 Mazda RX7 TII - Forged 347" LS1/2004r/3600 stall/Stage III Heads/Cheatr Cam/Precision 76GTS/E85/HP Tuners 3 BAR OS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    email support I can have you send in the interface for testing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Bill,

Thanks, just sent an email.

-Blake

Tuner in Training
    i live in ny, but i'm in memphis right now

any luck?

Have you Had any luck with this? i'm trying to read my pcm, and it will only work in low speed.

I've tried 2 different laptops, and tried pulling my neg terminal off and reseting the pcm to no aval.

Might try my back up pcm if time permits.