Thread: Slight Breakup during full throttle sometimes

Tuner in Training

Slight Breakup during full throttle sometimes

Every few full throttle pulls the car seems to miss out or breakup a bit and only for a few rpm. I know that the tune is a bit rich, but it still shouldn't cause it to breakup IMO. The only thing I can notice is that the maf reading bobbles a bit around the time it happens. The timing, af, etc read identical to pulls when it does not miss at all.

Car is an 02 z06, cam, vararam, long tubes. SD tune in open loop.

I am thinking that it is just the plugs being old mainly. They have been in at least since I purchased the car about 5k ago (who knows how long before that) and the tune up until this point from the PO was PIG rich at around 10.5 and it would miss/bobble much worse.

What do you guys think? Also what plugs and gap would you recommend to run for this car?

pig rich and an improperly gapped spark plug(or worn out spark plugs) could easily make it do what you are talking about..especially with cam with more overlap than stock...raw fuel goes into the cylinder and put the fire out....

use NGK TR55's
    pre gapped in the box.

if you dont mind spending a bunch of money on a far superior plug, Brisk makes a set of silver plugs GOR17LGS...cost for one is about the same as the entire set of NGK plugs
    -Scott -