Thread: 08 LS3 Vette trans tuning?

Tuner

08 LS3 Vette trans tuning?

Getting in an 08 LS3 vette with an automatic for a bit of tuning. He just wants minor stuff; torque management minimized, MAF tuning for the K&N intake, etc.
    My question is; I have yet to do any automatic tuning. This has a 6-speed auto, and I know nothing about it. Is there anything anyone recommends, or should I just leave it alone? Thanks in advance!

Senior Tuner
    Here's a few changes I've made to mine. Still not happy with it but it is better than when I started. Based on my experience this is a difficult tranny to eliminate some TM without eliminating all.

Tuner
    Very cool, thank you. Does it still shift funky like this one does stock? Very wierd 3-4 shift.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nicstang View Post
    Very cool, thank you. Does it still shift funky like this one does stock? Very wierd 3-4 shift.
    Probably still "funky" but not quite as bad as factory. All I really did to improve shifts was speed up the 2-3 and 3-4. This did make it feel somewhat better. Still have a lot of TM. You can eliminate TM completely but that's not what I am looking for. Also the downshift from 5th to first is very slow. Don't think there is a way to fix that. 4th to 1st is fast.

I recommend you this:

6-Speed Automatic Transmission Tuning Guide
    http://www.thetuningschool.com/courses.html

It's great and one of the test vehicles is a 08 C6 Corvette.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by loppad View Post
    I recommend you this:

6-Speed Automatic Transmission Tuning Guide
    http://www.thetuningschool.com/courses.html

It's great and one of the test vehicles is a 08 C6 Corvette.
    I'm sure it's a good book but does not have a solution for this slow downshift that I would liked solved. I've email Ian about this too but so far nobody seems to know what to do. My tranny takes just over 1 second to shift from 5th gear to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    I'm sure it's a good book but does not have a solution for this slow downshift that I would liked solved. I've email Ian about this too but so far nobody seems to know what to do. My tranny takes just over 1 second to shift from 5th gear to 1st.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but the trans can't do a direct 5-1 shift, it has to do 5-3, then 3-1, or 5-4 then 4-1 etc,so I don't think you'll ever get a lightning fast 5-1 downshift.
    VE Calais V 6.0L L98 V8 6L80E

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carneb View Post
    Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but the trans can't do a direct 5-1 shift, it has to do 5-3, then 3-1, or 5-4 then 4-1 etc,so I don't think you'll ever get a lightning fast 5-1 downshift.
    True, can't do a direct shifts but the shifts go very fast. It's the advance that doesn't recover quickly. I have a log that shifts from 6-2 in .109 seconds. But for full timing recovery it takes 1.187 seconds. How do we control the advance recovery time?

change the speed control terminate to "immediate". I've seen a significant improvement in tm ramp time.

Tuner
    Very good info guys, thanks. I will play with it a little. The customer is really just interested in 'firming up' the upshifts on the car, but I dont like pulling all of the TM out. Again, I appreciate the input and advice.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by icicleboy View Post
    change the speed control terminate to "immediate". I've seen a significant improvement in tm ramp time.
    Tried that way back. Did not help. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=27010&page=2

If you disable neutral down skip, you will see a improvement and i don't recommend doing that. It been nice to see more parameters for downshift TM.
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Senior Tuner
    $60 question. All you need to do to master the A6 is contact www.thetuningschool.com and order the "How to tune A6 Trans. Supplement". With 200+ tables for the A6 you don't wanna guess. You'll be provided a step by step guide that will give confidence to your decisions!
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    $60 question. All you need to do to master the A6 is contact www.thetuningschool.com and order the "How to tune A6 Trans. Supplement". With 200+ tables for the A6 you don't wanna guess. You'll be provided a step by step guide that will give confidence to your decisions!
    Yes, the book was mentioned in reply #5 already. I'm sure it's a good book but it won't tell us how to control timing retard during downshift. Ian (w/The Tuning School) in the post before you is virtually saying that.

I've also read through the 6L80e portion of the book recently and can't say I'm blown away. As an example it would mention a table and say "this is the xyz table, you want to change all the values to x". It does not mention why you want to do this, exactly what this table controls in detail - or what the value represents as a unit.

Potential Tuner
    im not ultra impressed either...for $80, i expected a lot more explanation as to what the parameters do rather than just what to adjust...and after following the guide and making the changes...my tranny feels almost the exact same as before...frustrating
    '08 C6 A6 4LT Convertible
    Gone but not forgotten: '09 PBM G8 GT

You do have support for the 6 speed guide. If you have a question about a table or procedure please give me a call 727 264 8875 or email me [email protected]. Im out right now since i had surgery yesterday for a hernia, but i do check my emails.

Ian
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune