Thread: tuning camaro 3800

Tuner in Training

tuning camaro 3800

So far I have tuned my tranny, speedo, fans and such, but havn't done any engine tuning. My car has a cat back and ram air. What tuning can be done to the engine to gain a little power?

Advanced Tuner
    since you said you tuned your tranny I will assume its an A4 car until you confirm.

did you remove all the torque management in both the transmission and the engine tabs ?

there is some present in many areas and typically you are either changing values to a number it can never achieve such as 640 ft lbs or to 0's so no torque reduction gets employed.

if you run your mouse over what you are thinking of changing there will be a description on the bottom of the area you are working on that will inform you something to the effect of raisng this value removes toque management etc..

if you have a lot of mods or if it was an LS1 car it probably wouldnt be adviseable to remove all the torque management unless your trans has been beefed up to take the extra abuse

if you dont mind running a higher grade of fuel you can probably add quite bit of timing in certain areas to make more power also just add it in small increments and scan to see if you have any KR in your scans ,knock retard histogram set on + to show maximum amount of KR is your friend.

beyond that you can tune your maf up to about 7500hz by using any of the 3800 tuning guides and tune your ve much the same if you choose allthough tuning ve in a 3800 is a debateable subject. beyond that you will need a wideband sensor in place to accurately maximize your tune at WOT

I have a friends NA 3800 regal running 15.1 @92 with the basic things above ( not wideband afr tuned yet) it has an intake , u bend delete and rockers - all he needs is a 2.0 or better 60 foot and it will be in the 14's not bad for the few things done to it.

good luck with yours
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    yes my car is an automatic. and thanks for the suggestions. i would like to play with the timing, but i dont really know where to begin. i guess i just need to do some more reading and experimenting.

Tuner in Training johnnystunner's Avatar
    [QUOTE=murphinator;224029

beyond that you can tune your maf up to about 7500hz by using any of the 3800 tuning guides and tune your ve much the same if you choose allthough tuning ve in a 3800 is a debateable subject. beyond that you will need a wideband sensor in place to accurately maximize your tune at WOT

QUOTE]

hey my 3800 is pretty well tune even added some mods, but what does that MAF tune do?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by csmitty23 View Post
    yes my car is an automatic. and thanks for the suggestions. i would like to play with the timing, but i dont really know where to begin. i guess i just need to do some more reading and experimenting.
    study your histograms and how to copy & paste special this will allow you to add and remove timing in exactly the areas needed from your scan data to your octane tables
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

[QUOTE=johnnystunner;224146]
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator;224029

hey my 3800 is pretty well tune even added some mods, but what does that MAF tune do?
    The MAF tune helps ensure that the fuel trims are inline this is done by taking LTFT=STFT @ 14.7ARF and adding (or half) it to the MAF table.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder