Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russ k's adaptive idle config.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_SS View Post
    Am I missing something here? I copied my value from the histogram, but the Running Airflow table doesn't change when I paste the value.
    Make sure that the units match (metric or imperial) before copying & pasting.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    I found it's better to PM then to post something up
    God forbid directions or a guide... imagine the sales they would have if they offered a guide or something. Probably double.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Make sure that the units match (metric or imperial) before copying & pasting.

Russ Kemp
    I switched both scanner and editor to metric for g/sec. I did the cold start till hot, but my damn laptop locked up...forgot to turn off the window saver. The scanner stopped. I will have to go back out tomorrow morning. I have one small question though. Around 98-140 degrees. The histogram shows 4.2, 3.5 and 3.2. Does this mean I have to paste those exact numbers to replace 1.107 that I have. That seems to be alot of airflow. The car idled perfectly....832rpm's from 1050. IAC count shows 22 and TPS 6.9%. Im on the right track.

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Sweet_SS; 05-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwrtrip75 View Post
    God forbid directions or a guide... imagine the sales they would have if they offered a guide or something. Probably double.
    I hear ya. Tuning isn't so black and white, but it would be nice for a little more detail on the table's. You can read the discription on each table in the editor, but I want to know how tables affect one another.

good luck getting an answer... this forum sucks.
    Yes it does, but some threads do have answers. All I can say is search, search, search! Most new thread problems have already been answered in much older threads.
    99 Hugger Camaro LS1 M6 TSP Torquer V2 cam, 100 dry-shot N2O, 42# "green tops", lid, p&p MAF/TB, LS6 Intake, Hooker LT's, Custom ORY with Flowmaster Merge, DMH cutout, Magnaflow CB, tuned with LC-1 and '02 OS.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CLRD4TO View Post
    Yes it does, but some threads do have answers. All I can say is search, search, search! Most new thread problems have already been answered in much older threads.
    the search usually brings up a million results. So the problem here is lack of organization. You can have all the info in the world...it does no one any good if they cant find it.

Tuner in Training
    Ive always found using google works best. Force google to only search this site by typing in something like this:

"car wont idle site:www.hptuners.com"

Change out the CAR WONT IDLE part for whatever you want to search.

the search usually brings up a million results. So the problem here is lack of organization. You can have all the info in the world...it does no one any good if they cant find it.

I agree about the search turning up a lot of responses. Google or not. I searched and searched for info on the RussK idle config. Found different versions of it. Then someone just sent the correct one to me.

There are some good starter guides and the GB DVD should ship with the darn thing if you ask me. This forum is unlike most others that I am on. People WILL help if you PM them. But posting for everyone to benifit and get help.... good luck........
    I will admit that what really started getting me on track was some advise I got early on. "Dump that tune and start from a known good stock file"

Everyone wants to keep the good tunes a secret...lol.
    The ones in the repository are lacking. Im no expert but still a great place to get a stock file.
    My personal reason and interest really comes from the fact that I have two cars to keep tuned and I make changes too often to keep paying a tuner....
    One car the Z has had 3 motors in the past 12 months. That would be about 1500.00 in tuning right there plus the upgrades that the vette has gone through have been massive.
    Plus there is nothing like understanding the tools you are working with IMO. After getting the DVD, HPT standard then upgrading to pro, then having my interface go out twice (215.00) each time.. paid 250.00 for a base tune THAT SUCKED!!! I have already paid enough to ship my cars to Frost or someone to have them dyno tuned and ship them back!!
    lol.
    All in all good luck with the idle. When I started from a KNOWN stock file... and got the fueling down. My idle was there right then. Now I am tuning other issues out and learning from massive reading here and there.
    2007 Trailblazer SS
    Pacesetter long tubes/magnaflow duals/electric water pump/electric fans/fast lxrt/ported tb/ 4" CAI/as hood/
    1999 CAMARO SS- LS2 1 7/8" LTs|BIGCAM|S2Heads|FTRA|UD Pulley|TRU DUALS|LCAs & LCARBs|panhard bar|BMR ADJ T-Arm|racetronix fuel pump|FAST102/102 Mcleod Adj MC|HINSON SHIFTER|S2 T56|4.56s|RAII|K&N|LID|Monster 4/electric water pump/micro edge/lnc2000/qa1s/nx plate/qa1 drag bar/12 bolt/4.11 gears/3.5 ds

Which version of the file should I use for a 1997 LS1 Vette? My car idles fine between 975-1000 RPMs however when I try to dial in the Idle Air Flow I get some 9.xx crazy numbers.

I open the russk config.
    logging the default PIDs
    start the car,
    turn off the fans with the bi directional controls
    then when it gets to about 178ish I look at the numbers and they are mostly zeros only the early stages have numbers and they appear too large.

I am guessing im using the wrong file.
    2007 Trailblazer SS
    Pacesetter long tubes/magnaflow duals/electric water pump/electric fans/fast lxrt/ported tb/ 4" CAI/as hood/
    1999 CAMARO SS- LS2 1 7/8" LTs|BIGCAM|S2Heads|FTRA|UD Pulley|TRU DUALS|LCAs & LCARBs|panhard bar|BMR ADJ T-Arm|racetronix fuel pump|FAST102/102 Mcleod Adj MC|HINSON SHIFTER|S2 T56|4.56s|RAII|K&N|LID|Monster 4/electric water pump/micro edge/lnc2000/qa1s/nx plate/qa1 drag bar/12 bolt/4.11 gears/3.5 ds

Tuner in Training
    Where can i get this .cfg for a G8, for some reason the histogram will not load up...
    2000 Maple Red Metallic Trans Am A4, Grandfather Left It To Me
    LME 440 LS7|TSP LXR 285cc LS7x|278/286 .718 .702 112+4|Becks Intake 115mm|Direct Port|D&D T56 Mag|McLeod RXT
    2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SMR||KOOKs 1-7/8"|Corsa|VaraRam|223/231 .610/.617 115+4|3.45s

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon0652 View Post
    Where can i get this .cfg for a G8, for some reason the histogram will not load up...
    My .cfg file is for Gen III pcms. A G8 (Gen IV) is very different.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    I switched both scanner and editor to metric for g/sec. I did the cold start till hot, but my damn laptop locked up...forgot to turn off the window saver. The scanner stopped. I will have to go back out tomorrow morning. I have one small question though. Around 98-140 degrees. The histogram shows 4.2, 3.5 and 3.2. Does this mean I have to paste those exact numbers to replace 1.107 that I have. That seems to be alot of airflow. The car idled perfectly....832rpm's from 1050. IAC count shows 22 and TPS 6.9%. Im on the right track.

Thanks for the reply.
    Conversions are wrong. Like mentioned you need to make sure, the setting is the same (Imperical or Metric).

Tuner in Training
    sorry im a little new to this. what is the RAF table

Quote Originally Posted by gmtechnician View Post
    sorry im a little new to this. what is the RAF table
    Running Air Flow, in the editor it is the Base Running airflow table.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Am I missing something here? I copied my value from the histogram, but the Running Airflow table doesn't change when I paste the value.
    Just write them down and manually type them into editor.

Tuner

I usually search using google but start my search with the word hptuners

Advanced Tuner
    Damn this link is hard to find! Subscribing for next time I need it.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Potential Tuner
    Dear Russ.

Regarding your idle config file.

I have a C6 Z06 LS7 2008 with cam, heads, headers and CAI. It runs 13:1 comp and E85 here in Sweden.

My car runs open loop up to 1500 rpm due to bucking/intake revision.

Can I run your idle config even in Open Loop or does the car need to be running in closed loop?

My idle.cfg file is for the Gen III Pcm. Check 5_Litre_Eater's thread about idle tuning for the Gen IV PCM. What are your cam specs?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ling-down-idle

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    bump to stay in the loop..