Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF Ethanol experiment

You're welcome, you started where I did. Monday night I'm going up to 33% when I fill.

I wanted to drive it a while before I let the cat out of the bag.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    grand national guys have been using zylene blends for years , its 118 octane and present in most premium gasoline allready if you look at a M.S.D.S.

they say to add a capful of marvel mystery oil if you go over a 4 to 1 ratio - I have always gone 4 or 5 to 1 with no issues but am now spiking my fuel with e85 since its cheaper

www.e85forum.com is a great place to get e85 info as well as the grand national and modular ford forum seem to be well beyond debating if its a good or bad thing and have moved on to making power both have e85/e98 specific forums and are good places to lurk if you are researching e85 in boosted applications

www.turbobuick.com

www.modularfords.com
    Xylene is a product made in the unit I work on at the old Amoco refinery as well as the Light & Heavy Ultraformate for gasoline. (Ultraforming & Isomerization units) I was refering more to the toluene I guess. I haven't seen it around the refinery, maybe in the chemical plants.

Advanced Tuner
    so basically what you've done was go 6:1, change cruise to .977, tune maf?

I was running the cruise lambda before the E. It actually helped mine a bit. Just tuning 4% positive MAF freq on mine got it there.

Actually, I always start with the stock MAF freq table and take out or add what I need compared to what I have loaded. I was at .935 X stock, now I'm .975 X stock. That way I know where I am and I put it in the Calibration Details notes. I expect I'll be close to the stock MAF freq on the 33% with the MAF relocated into the ZZP cold side CP.

I didn't romp on it for 25-30 miles after my refuel and the trims drifted +3 from -0.8. I then adjusted for that and I'm back to flat again. Didn't make any changes at first because I wanted to gauge the E85 content of my tank by where the LTFT's went.

EDIT: I've not been on CSS for like 3wks now, but was going to say you might want to just keep it around here Would suck if a bunch of rickyracers blew up their car putting E85 in on their infinizboozt tune yo!
    Last edited by Gimpster; 07-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Ya, but it's too late, someone linked to this thread on another E85 Q in the LNF general section.....
    BOOM!

Looks like the thread disappeared on css. Just as well.

ya the .nub owners will be spending money on rebuilds if the find out e85 can work in doeses on the LNF

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Update...

35% Ethanol, 21* advance at 7k rpm, 19 psi boost @6k, 5.3 ms Inj 1.
    12* advance at 4k, 24 psi.

NO KR! 60-100 times maybe a tenth faster, got into the pull a bit late @ 60 mph but NO KR! I'll have to try it again tonight about a dozen times.

Addicted to corn!

Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-25-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Very nice!!!

Today I found the limits of 25% in the midrange, I'll email you the timing for comparison. Also if you feel froggy pull a little bit of PE. I thought the car was feeling a bit fat and I backed down to .89 for now and it picked up almost a tenth.

Hmmmm....I'll consider it, you'll have to send a new message for the tables, gmail online is hard to find them in a long thread, sorry.

Advanced Tuner
    I really want to try this... E85 station about 10 miles away...

No negatives for me yet. Looks like 35% E caused a 6% positive MAF freq shift. Compensate accordingly & let us know what you think.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Loaded up .89 PE lambda last night, took almost .2 off a run. Thanks Gimp!

Rolled into full boost in 5th at 4k for a bit, still no KR.

40% E, .90 PE & 21* advance, life is good!

Whats the injector time looking like now?

Advanced Tuner
    This is an intersting experiment. One question comes to mind - do you think this would be as effective pumping the alcohol (methanol/ethanol/isopropanol) through a water/meth injection nozzle on the cold side piping? You would still get the enhancement in burn properties that is presumably causing the benefits right? and in addition you would get some charge cooling.

And then instead of your injector pulsewidth going up, it would go down while you have the nozzle firing. I've made this point several times on other forums, but the response is always that water/meth injection is not an extra injector controller - but you can't avoid the fact that alcohol injected from any source is supplemental fuel. In addition, you could control the alcohol content by nozzle size rather than by pumping gallons from separat pumps.

Just a thought. The only experiment i've looking to do soon is log a run with 25% isopropanol in the water/meth mix - to see if pulsewidth drops measurably because isopropanol has more "fuel value" than methanol.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    Whats the injector time looking like now?
    No real pulls this morning, I'll see tonight if I can on the 40%.
    35% was still around 5.3 ms since I went to .90 PE.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    This is an intersting experiment. One question comes to mind - do you think this would be as effective pumping the alcohol (methanol/ethanol/isopropanol) through a water/meth injection nozzle on the cold side piping? You would still get the enhancement in burn properties that is presumably causing the benefits right? and in addition you would get some charge cooling.

And then instead of your injector pulsewidth going up, it would go down while you have the nozzle firing. I've made this point several times on other forums, but the response is always that water/meth injection is not an extra injector controller - but you can't avoid the fact that alcohol injected from any source is supplemental fuel. In addition, you could control the alcohol content by nozzle size rather than by pumping gallons from separat pumps.

Just a thought. The only experiment i've looking to do soon is log a run with 25% isopropanol in the water/meth mix - to see if pulsewidth drops measurably because isopropanol has more "fuel value" than methanol.

Appreciate your input as always, but with the MAF relocated to the cold side CP right ahead of the TB, meth injected right after the IC would prob still soak it. I was considering it for a while though.

All of the points you made are valid, but here are the things I really like about E85 mixing:

1.) I know when my fuel tank is empty. Most of the newer/nicer kits have low level sensors and all that, but alas.

2.) Its pretty easy to control the E85 mix. LTFT is your guide as to how much/little you're running

3.) If for some reason my alky injection kit failed, running 21-22* timing @ PE .90 on 91 octane (whats available to me) is likely not going to go very well during the middle of a pull.

So far the E85 mixing has been pretty IAT agnostic. Iam Broke and I have seen IAT's in excess of 120oF (I know I have anyway!) and still no knock @ 22* and .90. I think theres more left in it too, but without being on the dyno I don't feel like throwing anymore timing at it. I hate to run more just for the sake of running more if we're beyond the point of appreciable gain.

I saw a post on another forum the other day and its a point I'd love an alky injection expert to chime in. The poster didn't like the idea of injection on a GDI car. Basically that might be reversing some of the advantages of that direct fuel charge. I can't remember who posted that, so if it was anyone here sorry.