Thread: Allison TCM stand alone tuning

Potential Tuner

Allison TCM stand alone tuning

OK, I know this is a bit outside of mainstream HP tuners usage, but I have a swap in progress. I am using an Allison 1000 trans and 8.1L TCM behind a mechanical 5.9 Cummins.

So, the big question is this: Can HP Tuners communicate with and reprogram an Allison TCM without a DMax or 8.1 PCM being present?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No it will not, our software ONLY licenses the pcm(the tcm is free and doesn't use a license spot so technically you could swap in new tcm after new tcm without having to use more licenses/credits) because of this we do not allow tcm only tuning.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    OK, followup question. Does the PCM need to do anything other than simply be present? Does it need to have sensors in place? Does it need to be connected to the TCM via the CAN bus? If all it needs is for a PCM to be present, powered, and connected to the ALDL that wouldn't really be a problem

Advanced Tuner
    just wire in a pcm, powers, grounds and the data line,, thats all you should need ,, just so hpt can read the ecm,, then it will read the tcm
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    just wire in a pcm, powers, grounds and the data line,, thats all you should need ,, just so hpt can read the ecm,, then it will read the tcm
    ^^^ Bill, can you verify this? Also, does it have to be a Dmax PCM of the same year as the TCM or will any PCM work?

Also, do you have a complete list of the Allison TCM parameters that HP Tuners has control over?

I am trying to make a choice between HP Tuners and EFILive. So far, I know EFI will do exactly what I need and doesn't seem to require a PCM, but HP Tuners is less expensive and has better support for gas vehicles.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated

Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    I am also interested in this. I use HPTuners at my shop to tune customer cars and own a motorhome with (probably) the same swap harness (destroked). I REALLY don't want to buy EFI Live and have paid plenty of software license fees to HP Tuners. There must be a way to open this up.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
    ^^^ Bill, can you verify this? Also, does it have to be a Dmax PCM of the same year as the TCM or will any PCM work?

Also, do you have a complete list of the Allison TCM parameters that HP Tuners has control over?

I am trying to make a choice between HP Tuners and EFILive. So far, I know EFI will do exactly what I need and doesn't seem to require a PCM, but HP Tuners is less expensive and has better support for gas vehicles.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated

Thanks!
    Yes as long as there is a pcm & tcm, power to the obd2 port, etc and there are no wiring issues it should read fine, we do all of our reading/writing on bench harnesses when testing so its just a matter of getting the wiring correct.

In the 2008 Os that I had up conveniently it has

62 tables
    26 constants

Its pretty much everything you'll need from shift points, TCC lockup, gear ratios, trans tq management ect. I don't have a list although our help file does

www.hptuners.com/help as we list every table from every application in there.

I have a 2004 Cummins that I just did a Allison swap on and wanted to do some trans tuning on it. I wired the trans into the obd2 port but it doesn?t seem to want to communicate with the Allison. It pulls up the info for the factory 48re transmission. Any way around this?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have a 2004 Cummins that I just did a Allison swap on and wanted to do some trans tuning on it. I wired the trans into the obd2 port but it doesn?t seem to want to communicate with the Allison. It pulls up the info for the factory 48re transmission. Any way around this?
    2 things.

This is a 12 year old thread, several things have changed including how tcm's get licensed so this thread really is out of date and I will close it due to that fact once I'm done replying

2nd thing is there is likely no easy way around it other than installing an allison tcm controller and even then I'm not sure if we actually offer support for the tcm itself in your case since the TCM license for the allison is tied to the ECM and the ECM license.