Thread: Load Based values to convert?

Advanced Tuner

Load Based values to convert?

Hey All,
    Just wondering does anyone know what the load base values are so I can convert them to a maths channel in correlation to psi or similar?

Thanks Grant LS1

Tuner in Training
    Can you not just use the map sensor and convert the values to a boost reading in what ever scale you want.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Jeremy,
    Yeah I can but thats in the HP Tuners software, I'm trying to get my mainline dyno to convert from PSI to Load(as I'm not sure what the calculations are to convert?).

Thanks Grant LS1

Tuner in Training
    I am not sure if the mainline dyno you are using has OBD2, if it has OBD2 then I think the load is a SAE PID and not a Ford enhanced PID so may be present. I am not sure how SAE load correlates to load in HP Tuners or how Ford calculates Load. Load looks very stable in the logs I have seen in comparison to Map, The value also lags behind map. Sorry cannot really help you any more than this.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Anyway Jeremy,

I Haven't actually got the obd2 port plug in for my mainline yet, so I have to manually log everything.

Surely it cant be that hard to convert it, I have some logs of the dyno in psi & the car in load & this is how it translates but not sure if spot on?

Air Load
    0.96 Boost PSI
    1.05 = 4.1
    1.14 = 5.7
    1.44 = 9.2
    1.65 = 12.65
    1.67 = 11.95
    1.72 = 11.32
    1.65 = 10.12
    1.62 = 9.75
    1.53 = 9.45
    Well just looking at it, it can't be as there's 2 different values for 1.65 load & then the first 1 is higher than the next 2 figures that are higher in load then lower in PSI, how does that work?

Thanks Grant

Tuner
    Sct scanner logs load and the way I see load if 1 is 0psi boost and a load of 2 is 14.7psi of boost or there abouts, so a load of about 1.5 would be about 8 psi, just my opinion
    06 F6 typhoon, DEKA 60lb, walbro intank, 12psi actuator, 36mm ported internal gate, dump, cat, plazmaman 1100hp cooler and plenum kit... 348RWKW....(SOLD) SAVE FUEL TUNE LEAN AND REMEMBER PING IS POWER!!!*********MASSIVE THANKS TO ROB @ MONSTA TORQUE*******

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Luke,

Yeah I guess thats a simple(ish) equation, but the post I have above the load on the left is what the scanner saw(ie engine log) & the boost on the right is exactly what the engine was putting out according to the dyno log.

I have a feeling there's some other thing's that come into the affect!

Cheers Grant
    Last edited by Grant LS1; 07-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Grant,
    Did you get my email the other day?

cheers
    Luke
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Load is heavily dependent upon VE of an engine and can not be correlated directly to boost on a Ford.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    The ford pcm calulates air flow in pounds mass per intake stroke and then uses this to caculate load. Everything is inferred bar ACT, ECT (used as correction to volumetric efficiency), MAP and BAP. The stock speed density calculation is pretty darn good.

Here's load vs boost and load vs air flow. See the difference with boost.