Thread: 2001 3.4L Grand Am Help with KR

Tuner in Training

2001 3.4L Grand Am Help with KR

To start out, my car is a 2001 Grand Am with 3.5L heads and LIM, non ported 3500 Upper, bored 59mm throttle body, 28lb trailblazer injectors and a borla exhaust. I have owned the car for over 5 years and it has always had KR issues and I think I am finally starting to work them out.

I was able to work on my tune this past weekend and I think I have put a dent in it, but I am still getting some KR and I am looking for some advice where to go next. Overall I would say it is the best that it has been in years, but I know there is still work to be done.

I have attached a log and my file if anyone cares to look it over and provide any thoughts.

Senior Tuner
    EGR Diag Enable Temp Set to Max for tuning, then return to stock if you like after
    Power Enrich Delay vs. TPS... 0 that table out
    High and Low Octane Timing tables: Copy and paste the High table to the Low for tuning. When you are done, set the low table 3* below the high to enable the proper function of it, but you do not want it messing with the car while tuning it.
    Now here is where you have a choice, I have KR Decay rate multiplied by 2 for both High and Low Loads, then have Base Retard Multiplied by .5 I have had mine this way for 3 years now, and many, many track runs. The Knock Sensors are programed to be super sensitive to Knock in the V6's and this will help a lot. I would also suggest you 0 out that torque reduction table for tuning as well. This is not removing your cars ability to react to Knock, just cleans it up a little. That trans can take a hell of a lot more than what you are asking it to do as well bud, you have lots of room to play a bit here... lol

Get a scan after you have done this stuff and lets have a go at that timing table of yours. Then if you like, we can clean up that trans tune.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding this but by multiplying the KR decay by 2 aren't you actually adding time until the KR is dropped and the advance is brought back on?
    2004 Grand Am SC/T- Eaton Magnuson M62 supercharger, 2.6" pulley, EGR delete, Greddy PCV oil catch system, 42.5lb/hr injectors, LS1 MAF, custom CAI, cooling mist meth injection system

Senior Tuner
    Higher #'s are actually making it rebound quicker in that table.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Ok thanks.
    2004 Grand Am SC/T- Eaton Magnuson M62 supercharger, 2.6" pulley, EGR delete, Greddy PCV oil catch system, 42.5lb/hr injectors, LS1 MAF, custom CAI, cooling mist meth injection system

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Higher #'s are actually making it rebound quicker in that table.

Correct,I double the stock table.

Russ Kemp