Thread: Need replacement for LC-1, what options do I have? AEM, Fast?>>

Advanced Tuner

Need replacement for LC-1, what options do I have? AEM, Fast?>>

I've been dealing with the pain of owning the LC-1 for far too long and it has really crippled my tuning consistency. Outside this I think the unit is finally taking a complete dump. Never had this happen before but when I hit WOT the unit reads pig rich and I get a bouncing sin wave... I'm done. Even the tuner I used when installed the heads couldn't use the LC-1 and used AEM in place.

anyways it's been forever since looking into performance stuff and am curious if there is anything good for around $200 and competitive with the features of Innovate.

I have two bosch sensors from the LC-1 and would like to reuse if I can. I do not need a gauge for visual when driving, and the only time I see my AFR is when I'm looking at my laptop when using hpt. I also have the LC-1 setup for NBo2 simulation for when I plan to possibly activate STFT when I get this tune dialed in.

The AEM seems to be the all round solution. Questions though:
    - can I use without the gauge, or is there a package sold without the gauge?
    - can NBo2 simulation be configured?
    - can I easily tap into the wires already used for the LC-1?

how about the FAST unit, will this fullfill my target requirements above? I read some comparison done by pace or something, and it had the FAST lagging behind a bunch of the units if I recall correctly?

Thanks for any help or guidance, appreciate it! I have this up on ls1tech as well but figured maybe someone here may have some positive feedback or warnings of which to stay away from.
    2002 BSM T/A WS6 #3371 (Sept 12, 2002) "LOB"
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

I have a NGK AFX kit and love it. It doesn't fit your requirements though. Of the kits that I looked at, only the Innovative kits could act as a narrowband O2 sensor.

All of the kits will have a box/gauge that must be connected since that interprets the raw data from the wideband O2 sensor and provides you with a linear voltage output that you can use with HPTuners to log the AFR/lambda. I have the box for my kit installed in the glove box, so I can see it when I want to but its out of sight 99% of the time.

I would imagine that each kit would come with its own wiring harness. If you're feeling froggy, you can probably take the box-side connector off of the new wiring harness and put it on your old harness if you figure out what each of the lines do, but I would replace the harness if I changed kits.

Have you spent much time troubleshooting your current setup? tried a new wideband O2 sensor? verified that you dont have a wiring issue? re-done the free air calibration? You may be ahead of the hounds to do some of that and figure out which piece of the equation is bad and then contact Innovative's support email/number/whatever and order a replacement part.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training
    I would go with the NGK AFX Kit as well. Have you considered welding in a new O2 bung for the wideband and putting the stock narrowband back in its original location?

The AEM only comes with the gauge as the controller is built into the gauge. It can be configured for nerst cell (narrow band) output but there is only one output wire and you have to select either nerst cell emulation, 0-1V output or 0-5V output. Not sure what you mean by the wires used by the LC-1 but the AEM will have a slightly different sensor and the only wires the controller needs hooked up are swithced power and ground (and the output wire).

The NGK AFX is the best hobby-based WB around currently.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by umrjmac View Post
    I have a NGK AFX kit and love it. It doesn't fit your requirements though. Of the kits that I looked at, only the Innovative kits could act as a narrowband O2 sensor.

All of the kits will have a box/gauge that must be connected since that interprets the raw data from the wideband O2 sensor and provides you with a linear voltage output that you can use with HPTuners to log the AFR/lambda. I have the box for my kit installed in the glove box, so I can see it when I want to but its out of sight 99% of the time.

I would imagine that each kit would come with its own wiring harness. If you're feeling froggy, you can probably take the box-side connector off of the new wiring harness and put it on your old harness if you figure out what each of the lines do, but I would replace the harness if I changed kits.

Have you spent much time troubleshooting your current setup? tried a new wideband O2 sensor? verified that you dont have a wiring issue? re-done the free air calibration? You may be ahead of the hounds to do some of that and figure out which piece of the equation is bad and then contact Innovative's support email/number/whatever and order a replacement part.
    I've done it all, even spoke to the owner or main engineer at Innovate, and the issues I had they just ignored as they had no idea what was going on. For example, run the car for about 30min and the AFR curve is very linear and smooth, when things get hot outside over the asphalt the AFR curve gets very jagged. Voltage is rock solid +/- 0.01v. Logging through the Innovate software gives you a perfect sine wave with the key in the accessory position. They had no idea what the problem was. Rewired to no avail.

I dealt with it as much as I could, tuned as I could, now 1 year later after dealing for 3 years, I go to start up my tuning process again and boom, at WOT my AFR readings dump to 9 and very jagged which has never happened before... I'm done with innovate, probs since day one.
    ------------

Anyhoo, onto my quest to find an alternative. So AEM there is no way to use without the gauge it sounds? And you can put into NB simulation but that requires a reset to 0-1v? No rewiring?

NGK, the pace comparison report put them dead last using the Bosch sensor, having worse reaction time and most inaccurate reading...? Plus if using thier own sensor puts price around $4-500.
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Fury View Post
    So AEM there is no way to use without the gauge it sounds? And you can put into NB simulation but that requires a reset to 0-1v? No rewiring?
    The controller is the gauge so, no. you can leave it in your glovebox and forget about it. It has one output only which can be configured for nerst cell, 0-1V, 0-2V or 0-5V. If that output is hooked up to the PCM for narrow band emulation there is nothing left for HPT. Never been a fan of narrow band emulation though.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Fury View Post
    NGK, the pace comparison report put them dead last using the Bosch sensor, having worse reaction time and most inaccurate reading...? Plus if using thier own sensor puts price around $4-500.
    I'll PM you a link to where I got my kit for $259.99 with the NTK sensor (not the Bosch)
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

I have also used the NGK AFX wideband and have always been pleased with how it works. I first had an LC1 and it worked for a few weeks then died and I sent it in for a replacement and sold it. I have used the NGK for a little over 3 years now to tune cars with as well as install in a few cars and have had zero problems. It is a very simple setup and I purchased mine due to pretty good reviews on here from some of the tuning veterans who I have great respect for. I have also used the PLX wideband setup in my own car and in several customers' cars and not had any trouble with it and it does have a NB output. I have read some negatives of this wideband though as of now I have not had any problems with any of the ones I installed. The NGK AFX includes a sensor and you should be able to find one for around the $250-$290 range, or at least thats what they used to be last time I looked. It does require calibration every so often but I have found it to be a minute adjustment at best if any. The PLX grabbed my attention because it is self calibrated, though I dont know exactly how well this works over time but again I havent had any trouble with them. The PLX setup can also be purchased without a guage so it is just the wb02 sensor, wiring, and the module you can tuck under the dash. Good luck with whichever route you choose!

Potential Tuner
    AEM make an version if the UEGO that does not have a gauge. Google "AEM UEGO Inline" and you should get a number of links. It looks to be ~30 less than the model with a gauge.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1madss View Post
    AEM make an version if the UEGO that does not have a gauge. Google "AEM UEGO Inline" and you should get a number of links. It looks to be ~30 less than the model with a gauge.
    Shoot wish I saw this post earlier. I went out and got the NGK with the NTK sensor. Oh well.

Anyone know any posts or diagrams on hooking everything up to the car and to the EIO?

I have used the AEM for 3 years and it has worked great for my tuning needs!
    2018 GMC Denali A8 6.2L
    2016 CTS-V
    2016 C7 Z06 A8
    2016 C7 Z06/Z07 A8 vert
    2015 Chevy SS 6.2 LS3 A6
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI
    1995 Chevy 1500 5.3 CAI Z06 cam
    1957 Chevy vert