Thread: Help Please!

Tuner in Training

Help Please!

Ok here goes,
    I just did an engine swap. I had a 98 ls1 w/ 228r cam, headers etc.... I just installed my new ls1 (darton sleeve 427 from lingenfelter) with an ls7r cam, prc 2.5 ls6 heads, headers etc. I also installed racetronix 42# injectors and the racetronix fuel pump setup for the 98 metal tank.

Long story short the car wont start. The ls7R cam DOES have the wheel on the back for the cam sensor. The plugs are wet, very wet. 155+ lbs of compression. The car backfires out the intake and exhaust, which makes me think timing but could it be that its just too rich and wont fire? I pretty much loaded a stock tune in it with the IFR table adjusted for the new injectors. Im new to the injector side of HPTuners as I have not ever had to deal with it. Can someone please give me some input? I have searched the web for days and came up with a little list of things to check on my next days off. Please feel free to add to the list.

1. Fuses and relays
    2. Case Relearn?
    3. CKP sensor connector

Could this be a VATS problem? And I just set the MAF fail hi to 0 and unplugged it. I have the 1bar SD upgrade for the tune. Im going to check for spark as well. Thanks in advance I would just like some ideas as im a little stressed about all this money spent and it doesn't start.

Mike
    1998 Camaro M6 - 99PCM, Darton sleeved ls1 427, PRC 2.5 LS6 heads, LS7R cam, UMI goodies, Baer Brakes, Trans by Tick, Waiting for rear end to go bye bye

Tuner in Training
    Also, it has a 24 tooth reluctor wheel, which I believe is correct since its a 98. Is it possible that it was installed incorrectly? I did not do it myself, had the builder install it. I assume he knows how to install it as he does not seem like an idiot by any means. Can someone also rule out VATS for me? I think VATS either wont crank or cuts fuel, neither of these are the case. Is there something else that could be throwing the ignition timing off? If you install 42lb injectors which are actually about 52lb on the gm due to pressure and you are coming from a 28lb, would the car start and at least run if it had the stock tune?
    1998 Camaro M6 - 99PCM, Darton sleeved ls1 427, PRC 2.5 LS6 heads, LS7R cam, UMI goodies, Baer Brakes, Trans by Tick, Waiting for rear end to go bye bye

Tuner in Training
    Ok,
    Today I figured out that my spark timing is WAYYYYY off. I figured this by watching spark and using a compression gauge to watch when the piston was on the compression stroke. Not the most accurate but will catch gross errors. What causes timing to be off 90-180 degrees in an ls1? Im not getting any codes so.... possibly the reluctor wheel was installed incorrectly?

have you checked the push rod length? when i changed my heads awhile back i needed some longer pushrods but the ones i got were marked incorrectly and were too long causing the valves to stay open and pour fuel straight out the exhaust with clouds of black smoke and back firing while running.
    Give it a go yourself first, if it doesnt work out then pay someone.

Tuner in Training
    I did not check lifter preload, but I did a compression test and found that I have 170psi, which tells me that the valves are not stuck open. With my spark timing being that far off though, push rods don't much matter right now. I need to tackle the ignition timing problem first.

Tuner in Training
    Got it figured out, reluctor wheel was installed incorrectly. Bummer, out comes the engine again.