Thread: DBW Tuning

Advanced Tuner

DBW Tuning

I am about to buy HP Tuners and have read some info about tuning DBW parameters on LS1tech.com. Apparently SOME of the calibrations for DBW are accessible in VCM but not all and when you open them a message appears on the screen that says change at your own risk or something. One guy over there even says that he fried his ECM by changing those values. I am interested to know how or why an ECM can be fried, what changes are considered "relatively safe" and which are considered "definitely not safe." and when/if HPT plans on adding access to the missing DBW settings. (There are apparently close to 200 DBW-related tables and VCM only accesses a few of them.) Thank you.

J. J.

PS: This may be my first post, I don't recall. I've been lurking here for a while and did a search but there is very little here related to DBW.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I wouldn't worry about it much on gen 4's if thats what vehicle type you have.

Gen 3 LS1's do have a warning because if the value you enter is outside the limit of the TAC(which we cannot read) it will fry the pcm.

Ultimately there are many tables in the pcm that can kill the pcm if they are changed incorrectly, in which case we try not to add those tables to our software so nobody accidentally changes them. In the case of the ETC tables one of our customers complained as to why we don't have them and one of our competitors did so we added them to not allow a competitive advantage so while they are there just don't complain if by changing one of those tables you fry the pcm as its not recommended
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    From what I've seen HPT is really good about putting that warning in the mouse over help text at the bottom of the screen. So you will have a warning that you shouldn't change those tables unless you know what you are doing.

Advanced Tuner
    Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Gen IV but I have to say that I am confused by you saying, "I wouldn't worry about it much on gen 4's" and a few sentences later saying, "don't complain if by changing one of those tables you fry the pcm."

What exactly causes them to fry an ECM? Do Gen 4's not have the warning? Are you saying that on vehicle that use the TAC module you don't know what is out of range and therefore can't say how far you can change them but on vehicles that have the TAC functions built into the ECM you can read those limits and can therefore give the tuner a range to work with?

J. J.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Gen 4's only have a couple of ETC tables currently available to them(although we are adding more) and are completely different than the gen 3 pcm's. No I do not believe the current gen 4 tables available have a warning because I believe the tables currently available can't kill your pcm which is the reason I said I wouldn't worry about it. The guys you are talking about are LS1 based pcm's which really doesn't have any bearing on a gen 4 pcm, apples to oranges.

I just know in the case of gen 3 pcm's(which you do not have) the tac cannot be read so we don't know what the range is.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Gen 4's only have a couple of ETC tables currently available to them(although we are adding more) and are completely different than the gen 3 pcm's. No I do not believe the current gen 4 tables available have a warning because I believe the tables currently available can't kill your pcm which is the reason I said I wouldn't worry about it. The guys you are talking about are LS1 based pcm's which really doesn't have any bearing on a gen 4 pcm, apples to oranges.

I just know in the case of gen 3 pcm's(which you do not have) the tac cannot be read so we don't know what the range is.
    That makes more sense. Thank you. Any idea if/when more tables will become available for DBW in Gen IV's?

J. J.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you. I THINK I have an e40 though. Mine looks like this:

Do the E38 additions apply to the e40 also?

J. J.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there anything new to help me tune throttle response on an e40 ECM? I've got this thing in and running now and there is a full second delay between pushing the pedal and the throttle blade doing anything. Its SOOOOOO annoying and borderline dangerous for what I do. I really need a solution, be it converting to cable (Is that even possible with an e40?) or tuning the ETC somehow.