Thread: Bricked my VCM

Bricked my VCM

I guess I'm the lucky winner for a bricked VCM! I was tuning my MAF today and used write calibration about 20 times and then that last time I hitted Abort by mistake while it was loading the bootloader code, and it actually aborted the process while loading the bootloader!
    So I tried just hitting Begin again, Failure... turned the key off then on, second try, failure. Disconnected the battery, waited 15 seconds, connected it back, same thing.

So I clicked the Info button, it shows me Chevrolet Cobalt SS I4, no VIN, no BCC, and shows me Seg1 as Tuner/Editor or something like that (my car and the MPVI I used are in the car which is parked somewhere else)

Car behaves like it should work but it won't crank, fuel pump starts, the dash works and shows fuel level, and message center works too, its just like the car has been told not to start, because I already had failed flash and message center was blank, with no communication anywhere else than with HP Tuner, I guess this is when the bootloader is actually written to the computer.

I didn't try a Write Entire, but I guess the VCM couldn't even connect to it, right? Just though about Write Entire when I sitted in front of my computer.

So... in this situation, is there a way to recover or should I just buy a new VCM? And should you this Abort button be removed of HP Tuners?
    Last edited by TiCPU; 05-24-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo

The VERY first thing if you think you have corrupted an upload, is pull the PCM fuses for a couple seconds (that is it, or pull PCM connectors, but no need). The PCM is probably hung in FLASH mode, where it is not going to function properly at all.

Pull it and do a flash again, you should be ok, worse come to worse, do a PCM Recovery or whatever HPT calls it.

You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TiCPU View Post
    I guess I'm the lucky winner for a bricked VCM! I tuning my MAF today and used write calibration about 20 times and then that last time I hitted Abort by mistake while it was loading the bootloader code, and it actually aborted the process while loading the bootloader!
    So I tried just hitting Begin again, Failure... turned the key off then on, second try, failure. Disconnected the battery, waited 15 seconds, connected it back, same thing.

So I clicked the Info button, it shows me Chevrolet Cobalt SS I4, no VIN, no BCC, and shows me Seg1 as Tuner/Editor or something like that (my car and the MPVI I used are in the car which is parked somewhere else)

Car behaves like it should work but it won't crank, fuel pump starts, the dash works and shows fuel level, and message center works too, its just like the car has been told not to start, because I already had failed flash and message center was blank, with no communication anywhere else than with HP Tuner, I guess this is when the bootloader is actually written to the computer.

I didn't try a Write Entire, but I guess the VCM couldn't even connect to it, right? Just though about Write Entire when I sitted in front of my computer.

So... in this situation, is there a way to recover or should I just buy a new VCM? And should you this Abort button be removed of HP Tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by n0dih View Post
    The VERY first thing if you think you have corrupted an upload, is pull the PCM fuses for a couple seconds (that is it, or pull PCM connectors, but no need). The PCM is probably hung in FLASH mode, where it is not going to function properly at all.
    Pull it and do a flash again, you should be ok,
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCPU View Post
    Disconnected the battery, waited 15 seconds, connected it back, same thing. (Failure)
    worse come to worse, do a PCM Recovery or whatever HPT calls it.
    I don't know if pulling the battery positive for 15 seconds was enough, but I'll try removing the PCM fuse for 5 minutes when I'll get back there.

As for PCM recovery, I though it was when you tried to write a second time after a failed write and it writes "Recovery" on the first step, I can't even get to this step, the MPVI won't even connect with the scanner.

You won't, you can't talk to the PCM when in flash mode.

Don't wast time pulling fuses for minutes, unplug both and as soon as you plug in you are fine and it resets the PCM to read (normal) mode. You then flash away.

I don't have HPT, so I don't know how it works, my tuner if I know I have a corrupted cal, I check off PCM Recovery, if I am changing OS, then I do a full flash. Easy...

edit: how do I know on this? 1, work in the electronics industry, so I play with parts like this, 2, I have done it so many times it isn't funny. My Buick has the memory seat option, which is cool, but if you touch ANYTHING (radio, seats, climate control, etc) while the car is being flashed, it hangs the PCM in flash mode. Then I have to pull PCM fuses and start over keeping my paws off.

NOTE: ONSTAR often gets chatty on the bus too, so if you have it, pull the infotainment fuse OR yank the module connectors, it has bit me too, once, only once.... I used to be on the design team for OnStar Gen 2 thru 6.1.
    Last edited by n0dih; 05-24-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Don't wast time pulling fuses for minutes, unplug both and as soon as you plug in you are fine and it resets the PCM to read (normal) mode. You then flash away.

I don't have HPT, so I don't know how it works, my tuner if I know I have a corrupted cal, I check off PCM Recovery, if I am changing OS, then I do a full flash. Easy...

edit: how do I know on this? 1, work in the electronics industry, so I play with parts like this, 2, I have done it so many times it isn't funny. My Buick has the memory seat option, which is cool, but if you touch ANYTHING (radio, seats, climate control, etc) while the car is being flashed, it hangs the PCM in flash mode. Then I have to pull PCM fuses and start over keeping my paws off.
    This happened to me too in the past, the bootloader is loaded then something interrupts the loading and I just click begin and it recovers, no problem. But this time it happened when loading the bootloader so I'm affraid it will continue to fail even after fuse re/plug, don't forget I also pulled the battery positive! I'll give it a try before getting a new PCM though, I'll also try Full flash write, I'm going there in 30 minutes.

NOTE: ONSTAR often gets chatty on the bus too, so if you have it, pull the infotainment fuse OR yank the module connectors, it has bit me too, once, only once.... I used to be on the design team for OnStar Gen 2 thru 6.1.
    At least I don't have Onstar to complicate the matter :P

Thanks for your advice.

I just went to my car to try to do the full flash, I tried to start it and it started right away, tried the scanner, works. So I stopped it and did the failed calibration again and everything worked just fine.

Thanks for your time!

Pull it and do a flash again, you should be ok, worse come to worse, do a PCM Recovery or whatever HPT calls it.

You should be fine.

You don't want to be pulling the fuse/power to recover PCM's.

Our boot loaders are designed to be recoverable with our software. When you pull the power, our loaders stop operating and GM's boot up loader takes over (which in some cases works well, on other pcm's, works horribly).

If, after many attempts you cannot get the PCM to recover using our documented procedures, then as a last resort pull the power.

Also, never use a write entire to recover a write calibration failure.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    You don't want to be pulling the fuse/power to recover PCM's.

Our boot loaders are designed to be recoverable with our software. When you pull the power, our loaders stop operating and GM's boot up loader takes over (which in some cases works well, on other pcm's, works horribly).

If, after many attempts you cannot get the PCM to recover using our documented procedures, then as a last resort pull the power.

Also, never use a write entire to recover a write calibration failure.
    I have attempted the recovery, I have attempted the power and still unable to find the ECU.

I have checked all fuses, I have checked pin 16 for power and all are ok. I get the green light when connected to ODBII port only. I get the same when connected to laptop only.

I can pull the licence info from the PRO but when connected to the OBDII it will not find the VCM.

I got power to everything, except the fuel pump and the car will not crank.

This has happened before but just removed power for 2 minutes and everything came back, reflashed and I was on my way.

Not this time....am I screwed????
    2006 HSV Dealer Team - Club Sport - Daily Driver
    Custom suspension, Custom dual stainless 3" exhaust, 1 7/8 custom ceramic headers, LS3 416ci, 2.3 Lt SC 13psi, Triple Carbon Extreme clutch, Dual Walbro externals, 80lb inj

disconnect the battery and be sure to disconnect the MPVI from the veicle and also the laptop, connect everything up again and try again.
    I count sheep in hex...

Hi Chris,

Already done that twice today.

1. Remove positive from battery, left for about 5 mins.

2. checked each connector on the Pro cable, remove from laptop, removed from car, separated the serial connector the usb connector and checked contact.

3. removed and replaced all fuses

4. Plugged everything back in

Same result, power to everything except for the fuel pumps and no cranking.
    The same error unable to locate....

Got anything else?
    Custom suspension, Custom dual stainless 3" exhaust, 1 7/8 custom ceramic headers, LS3 416ci, 2.3 Lt SC 13psi, Triple Carbon Extreme clutch, Dual Walbro externals, 80lb inj

not sure what version you're using but try v2.22.
    I count sheep in hex...

all sorted now.

Yep went back to 2.22, loaded my original base tune and completed a write cal.

Recovery process started and completed, which allowed the pumps to start but the car would not. So I charged the car battery a little as it was close to 12v.

Updated the software and opened my latest good config and everything went as normal.

Turned the key and we have the beast back on the road.

Thanks for your time Chris

Tuner
    Chris,
    How long does the basic tune take?
    Should young tuners write down what needs be the tuned then quickly make changes?
    This battery voltage issue is now on my mind.

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS