Thread: IAT relocate on TT GTO for meth

Tuner in Training

IAT relocate on TT GTO for meth

I have a custom TT GTO and after logging some runs it seems my intercooler may not be keeping up as my IATs climb pretty fast in WOT. I just bought a methanol kit and will be installing it soon. Im looking for this to be safe and I read about relocating the IAT and just spraying it. Will this have any benefit or will I still have to tune the fuel? Also my car is tuned by MAF scaling and has been running perfect putting down just under 600 HP and TQ so I really dont want to mess with it too much. But with the MAF scaled will relocating the IAT and just spraying be ok? Thanks for your help.

mike
    2005 GTO Custom Twin Turbo 570 HP 590 TQ

1994 Camaro LQ4 swapped with hot cam

Relocating the IAT shouldnt affect the tune much unless you're moving it far enough to where it would read differently (when not spraying). IE: if the MAF were right up by the air filter it would read colder than when you relocate it just ahead of the throttle body.

You don't need to relocate the IAT just to spray the meth. The reason to move the IAT when spraying is so you can tune it for the meth for max power and detune it in case the meth fails or runs out. So you add timing when the IATs drop and under load and don't add it when the IATs are not low and in load (because you may be out of meth).
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    so basically I have to tune it in no matter what? I was just trying to find a way to cool my IATs without touching my tune and not loose anything. I just dont want a malfuntion in the meth kit blow the motor

No. If you just want to cool off the intake charge just plumb in the nozzle(s) after the MAF/IAT spray away. So if your tune is ~safe now then if there is a meth malfunction you're just back to where you are now. Only if you want to run more timing when the meth is spraying do you need to relocate the IAT and tune.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    No. If you just want to cool off the intake charge just plumb in the nozzle(s) after the MAF/IAT spray away. So if your tune is ~safe now then if there is a meth malfunction you're just back to where you are now. Only if you want to run more timing when the meth is spraying do you need to relocate the IAT and tune.
    IMHO, the tune will still be safe under this senario as the IAT table can be set up to pull timing back to what you have now if the meth fails.

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

placing the iat after the meth is the best fail safe on the market. You can get pretty agressive on pulling timing if your temps get hot.

Tuner in Training
    sounds good.. i have seen people doing this on the gto forums as well so im pretty confident that it wont be a problem.

How far away should the nozzle be from the IAT sensor. My intake from my blower to my bonnet is pretty short. I have maybe a foot and a half on intake piping after the blower to the TB. I was thinking about putting my IAT in the bonnet and the nozzle in the 90 degree elbow before the bonnet. Belows a pic of my set up. What do ya think? Enough room?

1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

Yea, that should be fine.
    Bill Winters

Cool thanks.
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.