Thread: LE5 Cam Phase Maps?

Potential Tuner

LE5 Cam Phase Maps?

Hi,
    This is basically a huge cry for help... I'm using a standalone ECU with the 2.4 VVT LE5 engine. It's an engine conversion with cable-driven ITBs in a Vauxhall VX220, so I couldn't just use the original ECU and HPTuners...

The standalone ECU handles the cam phasing fine, but I have no base map at all and I'm finding it hard to get anywhere near the right cam phases by just tweaking and driving around, so I could really do with a base map to start from.

Please can someone help me out and give me a screenshot of the stock inlet and exhaust cam phases for the LE5 (if they're available with HPTuners)? Even just some logging data of just a quick drive around (if it has the cam phases shown?) would help immensely...

thanks!

Not sure what you want, something in here ?
    let me know. 2007 LE5
    Attachment 23516

on another note,
    does any one know why I have slide bars at the bottom
    of each columns ? Or does all of them look like this ?
    Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, thanks for responding so quickly,
    What happens if you click on a button like 'Low', 'Med', or 'High' on the camshafts? Do you get a table of values? I'm after something like the following images (so basically the standard map for warm running)... not sure how you get to that page from HpTuners though?

I notice the title bar says you've got it turbo'd - is that right, or does it still run the NA cam timings?

There are tables in there and its turbo'd, cam phase is still N/A numbers.
    I will get you what your looking for tonight after work.

Potential Tuner
    That'd be a massive help, thanks!

Last edited by Ecotec2.4; 05-18-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome, that looks spot on.

Thanks, can't wait to give this a try now (am considering leaving work to give it a try - the range of values are a lot different to the tables I was using previously (which was in a post above), so fingers crossed it won't be so asthmatic in the middle of the rev range now

I don't know if this info is actually helpful to anyone (I never found it anywhere!) but the actual cam timing figure seems to be the angle after top dead centre that the cam trigger wheel's teeth pass the sensor (I guess it was obvious, but it took a while to figure out that's what happened .

Ecotec2.4 - if you have a chance, please could you post up the 'High Baro' graphs? I live more or less at sea level so they may be very slightly more suited (sorry, I never realised those tables were labelled for pressure until I saw the window title).

Thanks again - you almost certainly just transformed my car

Potential Tuner
    Thanks!

It's really interesting how the Inlet cam changes so drastically with barometric pressure, but the exhaust is basically the same.

Anyone know why the bottom half of the graph is basically the same, and what kind of grams/cyl you'd expect at wide open throttle (It's a new way of describing airflow for me)? Are they values that are only reached if you have after-market forced induction? - or when you're accelerating, does it go above 0.6g/cyl and the cam timings basically vary only by RPM?

I'll post up how it goes when I get to try it tonight...

Potential Tuner
    Ok, just got back after playing with the car. It's a hell of a lot better - it just keeps pulling now... Thanks for all the info!

My maps are based on MAP, not MAF. I worked out very roughly that I could expect around 0.72 g/cyl on wide open throttle (based on 0.8*bhp g/sec). That sticks me safely in the lower half of the graph for WOT, so making a map when I'm only really worried about power is a lot easier

I still need to play with the spark timing now, but it's all looking great - I'm running around 30-35 degrees advance now, and it seems pretty happy with that.