Thread: Running HPT on a mini laptop

Potential Tuner

Running HPT on a mini laptop

I've been thinking of purchasing a small laptop for tuning but they don't have a disc drive. Can I use http://www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT_MPVI_Drivers.zip to load it in or will I need to do something different? Thanks
    '05 Pontiac GTP. 42.5#, 3.4 pulley, 180 t/stat, 3" D.P. w/magnaflow cat, no res. Wizaired, 104's. Brake upgrades.

That should work without a problem the only extra step you might need to take is to tell windows where the extracted driver is located when installing it. I would extract it to the desktop install the drivers (it will install it 2x that is normal since it has two chipsets for bidirectional controls) then restart windows test the program close it and delete the extracted files from the desktop. Windows should have copied the drivers so deleting the files there will be fine.

If you are running Windows 7 or a 64bit version you will need to make sure that you get the drivers specific to that.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Advanced Tuner
    I have Motion Computing LS800, LE1600, and LE1700. All run fine with HPT. one is on XP Pro, the others on Win7. One has a SSD drive, the others HDD. All runs fine.

whatever you buy, it needs to be on MicroSoft XP, Vista ( not me however ), or Win7. Ok, I still have a Win98 laptop too and it is running HPT also just fine. OS matters first, then the size of space you have to put programs.

I've been using a Dell Mini for years. As above just download the software and install from there (your CD is more than likely out of date anyway).

im running a hp mini and have no drama's at all, just download and install the drives as mention'd befor and all will be fine.
    Im also running hpt on my mac book now, heaps better screen and way better battery life.
    Give it a go yourself first, if it doesnt work out then pay someone.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys!
    '05 Pontiac GTP. 42.5#, 3.4 pulley, 180 t/stat, 3" D.P. w/magnaflow cat, no res. Wizaired, 104's. Brake upgrades.

Tuner in Training
    I was going to buy a mini for HPT, but when shopping around I found the ACER 5532 at best buy for under $300 and it has been a great. Just a thought. the battery life sux but it has a full size keyboard (including numeric pad) and a dvd drive.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastkingcab View Post
    I was going to buy a mini for HPT, but when shopping around I found the ACER 5532 at best buy for under $300 and it has been a great. Just a thought. the battery life sux but it has a full size keyboard (including numeric pad) and a dvd drive.
    one of my son's has the ACER and battery life is great...he plays video games for at least an hour before he needs to get it charged again
    2002 6.6 TR6060 ZO6 (520Whp)
    2014 Audi S7 (730whp)

Advanced Tuner
    I use a Lenovo S10 ($550 AUD) I was having alot of problems with right failures, but after cleaning it out and reformating it so only the basics where on it ( i only use it for tuning and my RC Heli stuff now) It performs flawlessly.

I can log and tune for two hours on one charge and recharge only takes and half an hour to 45mins. Im very happy with it.

I just used a thumb drive to install all the software
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

I installed the software on a mini laptop utilizing a standalone CD/DVD drive that connects via a USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastkingcab View Post
    USB right?
    Because no optical drive will fit into a mini. I have not seen one which has, all of them must use an external USB drive