Thread: Cold Start Idle Issues

Advanced Tuner

Cold Start Idle Issues

having a starting issue. its taking 3-4 tries to get it to "stick" when starting.

it will start then die. im unsure what it is: initial start up airflow, friction airflow initial, the base raf. its not undriveable by any means, just annoying. im trying to upload the tune but the site is giving me some trouble there. i have uploaded the most recent scan.

ps- it was doing this before the new MAF so thats not a problem.

Senior Tuner
    When asking for help post copy of tune/log of issue, full list of vehicle modifications, and reason for posting.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    When asking for help post copy of tune/log of issue, full list of vehicle modifications, and reason for posting.
    read the post. i tried to post the tune. didnt work

t2 cam, exhaust, etc.

if the site is giving you trouble, you could use a different file hosting service and provide a link to the file
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by umrjmac View Post
    if the site is giving you trouble, you could use a different file hosting service and provide a link to the file
    i emailed it to myself on another computer

Senior Tuner
    Glad you got it worked out.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    ideas?

Have you tuned the base running airflow?

What injectors are you running?
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    Have you tuned the base running airflow?

What injectors are you running?
    to an extent, yes. ive been trying to figure out what it wants right at start-up as thats when its having the most issues. off throttle, i think, will fall in line more easily after that. it IS doing better since ive been redoing the idle because of the new maf (took 5-6 tries or feathering the gas pedal).

im sort of thinking 6.5 g/sec is a bit low but it seems to warm idle fine with that.

42lb modified stock injectors

again, its right at start up that theres a problem. after that, it idles nicely.

When you use the RussK config file, do not touch the throttle. I needs to be from a cold start and just copy and paste the data from the histogram into your tune file.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    When you use the RussK config file, do not touch the throttle. I needs to be from a cold start and just copy and paste the data from the histogram into your tune file.
    i havent been. that was before i started redoing the idle. when running that config file i just keep trying til it stays running
    Last edited by Wnts2Go10O; 07-21-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    bumps?

Looks to me like you don't have enough air on cold start. Try to open the TB more and get the hot IAC counts down. Also you need to make sure the IAC gets to max steps when cold. What is the AFR doing?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    Looks to me like you don't have enough air on cold start. Try to open the TB more and get the hot IAC counts down. Also you need to make sure the IAC gets to max steps when cold. What is the AFR doing?
    atm, the wideband is not operational. the LC1 went again i think

the iac counts are going down since tuning with the new maf. because of the restriction the stock MAF was, the IAC wants a lot less. so that part is being worked on.