Thread: HPTuners over Trifecta

HPTuners over Trifecta

Well, I was wondering when I'd come across a Trifecta tuned PCM.... and now I have.
    In this particular case, the owner has an Infiniboost tune, but wants me to do some HPT magic on it at the track. He has an EZflash cable... but it's about 8 hours away in his home city. So... I'd have to read and tune over the Infiniboost tune.

Last I heard, there were issues with read errors, saving issues, etc.... but I've also heard stories of this working with success.
    Have there been any updates as to the repercussions of reading and tuning over a TF tuned PCM?

Any updates and recommendations would be helpful.

Worst case, I guess he cold get Vince to send the new HPT-TF file to the owner with what ever updates he wants, then go hard on the tune.
    Tyler

I had the Original Trifecta tune on a spare ECU last July. I tried to do a read entire and while it saved the file, HPT would not open it. I did a write entire over the Trifecta with my stock file and went forward, never looking back.

Never tried it with the Extra Crispy version though, keep us posted.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

best thing to do is to buy the new version of it so it could be tuned with HP

2008 HHR SS 5-speed

HP-Tuned

Advanced Tuner
    if he has a trifecta ecu, he may get the hpt version for free or discounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
    if he has a trifecta ecu, he may get the hpt version for free or discounted.
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
    The owner is looking into it this afternoon, though.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    The trifecta tunes do not pass validation with HPTuners because Vince writes his tunes using software that he himself developed. Vince does not write tunes using HPTuners like you and I do.

Well, no need to deal with this anymore.
    The guy is holding off for now, until he can get the HPT compatible tune from Trifecta.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    I will be tuning over one next Wed. I will try to remember to post up the results.

Same question here - after 5 years

Is there a possibility now to read and edit a trifecta tuned ECM with HPT?

Unless something has changed in the past few years; no, not easily.
    As Steve mentioned, when you read one out it fails validation.
    The only way to edit them is for the owner to get the HPT version of the tune (if they still do that), and just flash over.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    No, you need the OEM tune from Trifecta, the customer SHOULD have kept their original tune, or else Vince can email one out to the customer. He would not send me one for the car I bought used with a TF tune, so I flashed a stock tune over the car and it worked out, but it cost me an extra $100.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Someone remind me why people want Trifecta so bad? (im serious, that wasn't supposed to be sarcastic. I've been banned from css and solstice forum and never returned there so im out of the current loops)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I think when this was written the new beta wasn't out. Now, I think more people are wondering about writing over the TF tune to erase its horribleness.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    thanks for the refresh
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Someone remind me why people want Trifecta so bad?
    Standalone tune...
    If you have no BCM, ABS, TCM....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    I think when this was written the new beta wasn't out. Now, I think more people are wondering about writing over the TF tune to erase its horribleness.
    Yeah, I've been getting a lot of requests lately to retune cars that are Trifecta tuned. Either because they are just tired of the tune's issues, or because they need updates and the "Trifecta Dealer" near them is no longer answer the phone or emails to schedule a time to reflash.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Yeah, I've been getting a lot of requests lately to retune cars that are Trifecta tuned. Either because they are just tired of the tune's issues, or because they need updates and the "Trifecta Dealer" near them is no longer answer the phone or emails to schedule a time to reflash.
    Yeah, the TF tune that was in my Solstice was TERRIBLE. Got about 22 mpg, ran a 10.8 AFR, and fouled plugs every other week.