Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The reflash failure thread...

Tuner
    I had this issue on same car in which it took me a entire day to flash ecu 5 times. I ended up disconnectring battery in which helped this one time after many attempts as i think it somehow spazzed the icm out during write. I also tried a different laptops and usb cables to see if it improved.
    Make sure your headlights are off and remove interior light globe if it is on as they seem extremely senstive to voltage fluctations.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I think its noise. The existing MPVI interface seems very susceptible to anything that is not 100% clean and perhaps some attention to a next generation interface might be worth looking into

Ive had countless problems like this with Fords and Holden VEs too

Some people have even resorted to myths like opening the car door while writing :-)

Ive found that running on Laptop power only helps things along a bit. If there was some way to attenuate the signal on the BUS through a mod to the MPVI might help?

Advanced Tuner
    Grant,

Never had a ve fail with the mpvi,
    but have had heaps fail with the other one that I no longer use..

With the beta I have I get a few scanner errors but on 2.22 it's fine. I'm going to send my interface back for a new one soon...

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't been able to get a car to connect with 2.22, what version's everyone running, I think I updated 2.22 a month ago, but never tried reading or flashing a ford again after the first failure!

Thanks for the news with the beta saving file problem, all I did at the time was as you mentioned thanks!

I haven't flashed a ve yet just done reads, as I'm just learning!

Advanced Tuner
    you need 2.23 to read most fords,

send a email to support with your serial number and they will send you the new beta

Senior Tuner
    I wonder if this is a noise problem where the cable
    meets the harness; line impedance mismatch, lack
    of outright drive strength, etc. which might make
    for a marginal read at the PCM. Or stupid things like
    Ford used negative edge and GM used positive edge
    clock phasing, leading to a marginal timing situation
    because clock is now minimally, not maximally time-
    distant from data transitions.

Any chance you have a 'scope that could be put to
    the PCM connector serial data & clock lines, to look
    for signal integrity abnormalities?

Advanced Tuner
    Got another fg in and same thing.. Failed 3 times in a row.

This time I have a brand new USB cable

Advanced Tuner
    A quick update fo me, I did a self rescue in my little Lenovo S10E that i use for HP tuners, Basically cleaned a heap of crap off it and now only run the basics.(not exactly handy if you use your laptop for more than just tuning)

I flashed my car aprox 25 times without a single failure over the w/end.

I even had the a/c fans on low, and my WB02 plugged in at the same time.

BUT i did find i could gaurantee a write fail with the interior light on. I thought this may have been a voltage issue so i tried with it again with the ac fan off and the wb02 off and again it failed. I also tried to write again with the interior light on (only) and a battery charger on the car to top the voltage up.

Again the write failed.

Its really got me wondering if the some parts of the interior light wiring is close enought the obd2 cabling to cause some sort of noise? Or perhaps the relays in BEM are making the noise??

I realise none of the above is scientific prove but its food for thought?

On another not, my first few writes where 6.5 minutes + but no i average around 5.5 minutes. What sort of time are other averaging?

cheers
    Luke
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    i always flash with the doors closed so the interiour light is off

Advanced Tuner
    i always write with the drivers door open because i cannot be bothered sitting in the drivers seat for 5.5mins will it does its job

Advanced Tuner
    I Have flashed my ford now 6 times or so & failed 3 times in 1 instance of which I reported here but all the other times it has been fine.

I have heaps installed on my compaq/HP Presario V2000, as I use it to run my business, downloads tv shows, rip dvd's, you name it I do it!

But just thinking about it when it failed the 3 times I had the cable outside the door with door shut, all the other times door open & it sitting on the drivers seat & I just move mouse around every couple of mins(stop it sleeping or anything)!

My flashes are generally happening in 5 to 6 mins now, first says 9.28 mins when it starts but jumps real quick in spots, I'm still having issues with HP Tuners automatically changing some axis(fuel base TPS) & other things automatically for no good reason sometimes!

Grant

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    i always write with the drivers door open because i cannot be bothered sitting in the drivers seat for 5.5mins will it does its job
    ill try it this arvo on the FG XR6t i have to do ill turn interior light off and leave the door open

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant LS1 View Post
    I Have flashed my ford now 6 times or so & failed 3 times in 1 instance of which I reported here but all the other times it has been fine.

I have heaps installed on my compaq/HP Presario V2000, as I use it to run my business, downloads tv shows, rip dvd's, you name it I do it!

But just thinking about it when it failed the 3 times I had the cable outside the door with door shut, all the other times door open & it sitting on the drivers seat & I just move mouse around every couple of mins(stop it sleeping or anything)!

My flashes are generally happening in 5 to 6 mins now, first says 9.28 mins when it starts but jumps real quick in spots, I'm still having issues with HP Tuners automatically changing some axis(fuel base TPS) & other things automatically for no good reason sometimes!

Grant
    Im sure cleaning out my computer has helped. I also changed the power management profile so its always on high perfromance and doesnt goto the screen saver. Because mine is a mini pc the battery last a couple of hours even on the high performance profile.

I've even managed a couple of high speed writes (speed doesnt really change but i checked the checked box just to see it i could induce a write fail) and they where okay also.

Advanced Tuner
    my laptop is only used for tuning, it has 4gb ram and a 500gb hdd, its got plenty of grunt to get the job done, as i said i have flashed gm's about 10000000 times and never had a problem..

flashed this FG today and 5 out of 6 writes worked well

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm still having issues with HP Tuners automatically changing some axis(fuel base TPS) & other things automatically for no good reason sometimes!
    Have you contacted support regarding this? It seems this would be something important that you'd want to contact us about.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    my laptop is only used for tuning, it has 4gb ram and a 500gb hdd, its got plenty of grunt to get the job done, as i said i have flashed gm's about 10000000 times and never had a problem..

flashed this FG today and 5 out of 6 writes worked well
    Door open?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    I've even managed a couple of high speed writes (speed doesnt really change but i checked the checked box just to see it i could induce a write fail) and they where okay also.
    I haven't tried mine with non high speed read or writes, it was set at high speed so I've always left it on that, anyone else tried either or?

& Bill sorry no I haven't contacted support about it as I didn't know how to explain it, but it was a file that was tuned by SCT software then read off HP Tuners & then I compared & copied differences & the axis points went all squeif, it added decimal places to the 2nd row & so it made all axis points spread below 7% TPS only found it in the fuel base table but not sure if any other's got changed as it doesn't show up any different on the compare files either way.

Advanced Tuner
    you can only use low speed on fords from memory, makes no difference with it on or off..

yep flashed it with the door open and light off

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I haven't tried mine with non high speed read or writes, it was set at high speed so I've always left it on that, anyone else tried either or?

& Bill sorry no I haven't contacted support about it as I didn't know how to explain it, but it was a file that was tuned by SCT software then read off HP Tuners & then I compared & copied differences & the axis points went all squeif, it added decimal places to the 2nd row & so it made all axis points spread below 7% TPS only found it in the fuel base table but not sure if any other's got changed as it doesn't show up any different on the compare files either way.
    When using the compare feature if the axis from one file to another has different values but the same table size ie both tables are 30x30 but one goes 1,2,3,4,5,6 and the other goes 2,4,6,8,10,12 the info will still copy over...with fords we see this alot so you really need to be careful with what information you are trying to copy over.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    found another little reflash bug...

after writing to our FG this morning it had gone to 100% and the bar graph had moved along as it normally would but instead of saying write completed it said retry.. the car ran like a busted ass as well.. reflashed and it said completed this time and it ran fine...