Thread: turbo cobalt tuning issues

Tuner in Training

turbo cobalt tuning issues

basics:

80# injectors
    HTA 30r
    no meth (yet)

alright so the car is done! however, im trying to tune this mother fucker and its doing shit ive never had it do on me before. i tried tuning the maf just like i have been for years (maf % error, copy, multiply, you know) and the son of a bitch will not react differently, keeps pegging the wideband at 10 on the afrs. it also idles pretty badly, but it at cruising interstate speeds its perfect, besides the fact it seems like its guzzling gas. another weird thing is that the timing is supposed to be commanding about 17* through most of a pull and its going up to 28* and not knocking. it feels slow as shit and i really am at a loss. the only thing i think i might can do on the timing is take the IAT multiplier and just zero it out. anyone willing to take a look at a few logs and the tune?

edit: i also have the 1st map sensor unplugged
    Last edited by hatrickstu; 04-25-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ok well here is a log on no DFCO or PE. i shouldnt have been boosting, but i was. what is the next step? the maf appears to be good, so where from here?

Question for you. Why would you log with dfco and pe shut off? Im more of a beginner to tuning but I have never heard of this. How do you get that your maf is good? To me it looks way off but I might do this differently. You probably have way more tuning experience than me, so Im just asking.
    E-85 279.5whp/258tq

Tuner in Training
    oh trust me, i dont have hardly any experience. i was told to do some data logging with those off because it keeps external factors from affecting the maf. maybe im looking at this wrong, but my maf error is actually pretty damn good, how do i adjust those fuel trims?

Tuner in Training
    oh trust me, i dont have hardly any experience. i was told to do some data logging with those off because it keeps external factors from affecting the maf. maybe im looking at this wrong, but my maf error is actually pretty damn good, how do i adjust those fuel trims?

Alright. If your willing to try something new this has worked wonders for me. Its shauns tuning guide from the redlineforums.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...ve-tuning.html

I use this to get the cruising mafs close and the wot sections right on. Then I copy the maf table back into the regular tune with everything re-enabled and then touch up the maf using an average of both stft and ltft for cruising and idle. I have heard getting the maf for wot tuning with a turbo is more of a pita because of the lag and turbo tuning might have some tricks that I am unknown of. Good luck man I hope this helps.
    Last edited by skatinboarding; 04-25-2010 at 10:56 PM.
    E-85 279.5whp/258tq

Quote Originally Posted by skatinboarding View Post
    Question for you. Why would you log with dfco and pe shut off? Im more of a beginner to tuning but I have never heard of this. How do you get that your maf is good? To me it looks way off but I might do this differently. You probably have way more tuning experience than me, so Im just asking.
    to keep other variables out when tuning for fuel... if oyu have piston protection and cat temp enabled that will effect is as well. you disable it so you are tuning without these variables and when you add this back in, those variables will react correctly

Tuner in Training
    For some reason I can open your log but not your tune, So for the AFR i cant really help you. Your fuel trims are definately WAY off though so hopefully someone that can read your tune can figure that out. As far as timing, I usually zero out the ECT and IAT multipliers (except for the high temp areas where it pulls timing) so you can have full control over your timing table. Try that just to see if you can at least get the timing in check. I have a spare MAF for a cobalt too if you wanna give it a try just to rule that out.

Tuner in Training
    that issue is resolved now. trying to figure out a good timing map for the car now

what was the resolution>?

Potential Tuner
    Yeah man how did you set up your blow through? I think I asked you this before, but i need into on this because that's how mine is set up

dude just go on ss/net I have a link up with all pictures how to do a proper blow through setup.
    just make sure the piping your maf is in is 3"
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas

Potential Tuner
    In what section?

under 2.0 lsj performance probably I don't remember exactly
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas