Thread: Diesel Timing

Tuner in Training

Diesel Timing

Soo,, tried this question in the diesel area and no response.
    my vehicle is a 2004.5 LLY Duramax.

I have recorded a nice long trip with the scanner and am comparing scanned results to what I expect to see using the timing tables displayed with the editor. The problem is using all the displayed programmed timing tables I can't always correlate what I am seeing as scanned values with the programmed values. I often see more total timing than I can correlate with programmed values. Are there timing tables that are not displayed when using the editor?

Thanks

Can you post the scan and tune.

There might be other modifier tables adding timing under different conditions. Also deceleration or other conditions might add timing. Sorry I have not tried tuning a Diesel so I'm in the dark with out a tune to look at.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for responding Phantom. The problem here is I want an answer from the folks, in the know, to my question. Are all the tables accounted for in the editor. The answer is simple, yes, no or I don't know. I have tried on more than one occasion to get a response from Bill or Chris to a couple of questions about how the editor functions. I have never gotten a response. In my opinion, the support for the diesel folks is almost nil. I think we are a very small piece of the buisness. Too bad, thats what Chevy thought when they gave up the big car market to Ford some years ago. If I was starting from scratch, I would buy EFI live for diesel tuning. Huge base of folks using that tool and from all the forums I have visited way more support. Anyway, I digress. I just want my question answered. By the way, using all the tables displayed, including the modifier tables, I can't account for the scanned values I see. Maybe, I haven't figured out exactly how the ECM processes the tables, I don't know, but they still can answer my question. I'm pissed!!!

In short YES there are tables that you do not see since they have not been mapped.

With out knowing what OS ID the truck is running I have no chance to tell what is missing or even if you may have missed something in you histogram when scanning.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Tuner in Training
    TommyD,

As I understand it, when you read the ECM, you are getting all of the known tables and values for the tune in your truck. In order to log what is happening, you need to create histograms for the information that you want to log. There may be a limit as to how many things can be logged at a time but I have not hit that yet. I had 15 things being logged in my last histogram.

I suspect that you haven't set up the histograms yet and that is why you are getting unexpected results.

I am very new to this so don't take what I'm saying as gospel. If I were you I would continue to ask questions pertaining to diesels in the diesel forum. There aren't that many guys in there but there are a few much more knowledgeable than me and they do show up eventually. You could also try PM'ing one of the ones that appear to know. I think they will all help if they can because they seem to want to get more interest going.
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges