Thread: twisted pair (cat3/cat5/cat6/etc) and EIO

twisted pair (cat3/cat5/cat6/etc) and EIO

I searched the forum and found a couple of really old posts, but never found a "final answer" to the question...

I'm hooking up an NGK AFX, and need to run the wires to the MVPI. Since the EIO interface is plugged into the MVPI unit separately from the OBD-II cable, I'm wary about having a spaghetti-tangle of wires eventually. ESPECIALLY since the cables will have to drape between my legs while I am driving. Add to that the "daily driver" and "show car" factors, and I need it to all disappear nicely when I'm not using it.

I came up with a solution that involves fabricating a cable that runs parallel with the OBD-II cable, going from the EIO to a custom plug/jack that I can mount discreetly near the OBD-II plug under the dash. Add some zip ties or something, and this would basically take me back down to one cable (that will simply have two plugs on the end instead of one).

Being an IT geek, I saw the 8 pin layout of the EIO and instantly thought of twisted pair, such as CAT3, CAT5, or CAT6 cable, with an RJ45 (standard computer network) plug on the end. It would then be easy enough to mount a jack under the dash next to the OBD-II jack.

My question, not knowing enough about voltage and electricity, is this: Will the twisted pair cable be able to handle the power that needs to transmit across it to/from the EIO? Are we talking +5v max? And how do amperage and wattage factor in?

If it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea. I can always move on to "plan B" if need be. But this would certainly guarantee a clean result, if it will work. I just didn't want to "go for it" and end up frying something.

Thanks!

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    Track The Executioner on Facebook
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    K&N FIPK (dual ram-air "under construction")
    2.75" exhaust, high flow cats, x-pipe, & Spintech "mufflers"
    Wilwood brakes, 14" rotors w/ 6 pistons in front, 4 pistons rear
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19
    Banshee hood (carbon fiber), RK Sport front bumper, one-off rear bumper

Since it´s supposed to be a voltage reference the current should be low. There are no specs in the AFX manual. Think you can use any cable, as a matter of fact, i´m thinking of stealing your idea for my own AFX !
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden