Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2003-up Silverado AC request type

Tuner in Training
    I figured out why my fans would not engage.

My A/C Fans Disable speed was set to 0mph. I did not think this was a problem as the HPTuners description states "A/C Fans Disable speed: If the AC is on both fans will disable if speed is above this value and other thresholds are not met". Now my Fan 1 AC enable pressure was already set to 225 and disable to 220 (I`m not running a pressure switch so I faked it with a resistor that reads 228psi) I assumed that since my a/c pressure was above 225 the fans would enable as "other thresholds" would be met.

I changed the AC Fans disable speed to 40mph and the fans came right on.....always on... (due to my AC pressure constantly being 228 even with the A/C turned off). I thought I was onto something and tried raising the Fan 1 AC enable pressure to 250 thinking that would allow the fans to turn off when the A/C request was off, but turn the fans on when the request was on and speed was below 40mph. No luck there, now the fans would not enable regardless of speed or A/C request status. Looks like I will either have to put a pressure sensor inline to monitor the actual pressure, or use a relay to enable to a/c pressure sensor resistor bypass only when the compressor is running.

Cliffnotes, In order for the fans to activate BOTH the Fan 1 AC enable pressure AND the A/C Fans Disable speed conditions must be met. Not either/or like the HPT notes would lead you to believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    85 El Camino SS black and silver, factory buckets.
    5.3L/4l60E 3.73 posi
    1980 Chevette .....needs a V6 swap
    www.fquick.com/G-Body

Potential Tuner
    I have successfully made the a/c request work with a computer off of a 2003 Suburban, and a Vintage Air A/C system.
    1. I changed the serial cycle to analog. (it would not work with analog cycle)
    2. Wired the compressor clutch output of the aftermarket ac to connector C2 pin 17 applying +12v for the A/C request.
    3. had local A/C shop who can crimp hoses install sensor port inline on my hot gas hose. (I feel this is where everyone is missing out, with the factory sensor, the pcm can cycle fans and compressor, and we can adjust the pressure where we need the fans to cycle)
    4. Set up pressures for fan cycling on pcm
    5. I inserted terminal in 42 of connector C1 for fan 1 and wired up realays and fan
    6. Inserted terminal in connector C2 uses terminal 33 for fan 2 and wired up relays and fan
    7. I used factory fuse/relay block so all I had to do was wire relay to compressor clutch

Again, I think we are complicating things too much by taking out the high pressure sensor, it cost me $37 in parts and labor to have it installed in my refrigerant line, and I feel that all the systems are working so much better with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ntwifi View Post
    I have successfully made the a/c request work with a computer off of a 2003 Suburban, and a Vintage Air A/C system.
    1. I changed the serial cycle to analog. (it would not work with analog cycle)
    2. Wired the compressor clutch output of the aftermarket ac to connector C2 pin 17 applying +12v for the A/C request.
    3. had local A/C shop who can crimp hoses install sensor port inline on my hot gas hose. (I feel this is where everyone is missing out, with the factory sensor, the pcm can cycle fans and compressor, and we can adjust the pressure where we need the fans to cycle)
    4. Set up pressures for fan cycling on pcm
    5. I inserted terminal in 42 of connector C1 for fan 1 and wired up realays and fan
    6. Inserted terminal in connector C2 uses terminal 33 for fan 2 and wired up relays and fan
    7. I used factory fuse/relay block so all I had to do was wire relay to compressor clutch

Again, I think we are complicating things too much by taking out the high pressure sensor, it cost me $37 in parts and labor to have it installed in my refrigerant line, and I feel that all the systems are working so much better with it.

What sensor did you use? Can you draw a diagram of your setup and post your tune? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: How is over pressure protection accomplished? Do you have a separate binary switch in the system?

Here's a link to another thread where this is discussed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709611
    Last edited by HartRod; 11-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Pretty sure he just wired up the AC Pressure sensor that you would normally have on a Fbody.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Pretty sure he just wired up the AC Pressure sensor that you would normally have on a Fbody.
    I was thinking he used the truck pressure transducer and not the Fbody pressure switch.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Quote Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    I was thinking he used the truck pressure transducer and not the Fbody pressure switch.
    My car's do not have a switch. Its a 3 wire pressure sensor. The Fbody's reference actual pressure and not just a switch.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    My car's do not have a switch. Its a 3 wire pressure sensor. The Fbody's reference actual pressure and not just a switch.
    So do the trucks.

Potential Tuner
    What it comes down to is if your ecu has the IAC driver installed. If you choose analog or serial the computer will look for a 3 wire pressure sensor. If you choose analog cycle or serial cycle the computer will look for a 2 wire pressure switch. All the information you need has been posted on ls1 tech in a thread titled "A/C request Blue/Green connector ECU". The forum wouldnt let me post the link.