Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software?

Potential Tuner

How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software?

How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software? I have the software and the interface cable and the credits. I have been paying others in the past to tune it. Now I have a new engine( ls1 410 Stroker). New turbo (Procomp triple Ball bearing). And I want to do the veriable speed tune useing the 2 bar sensor. This takes time and I want to be able to tweek it myself. Where do I learn all this? Are there books? Are there others willing to teach? Please help. My car has become a never ending series of upgrades and I will never be compleatly done with it, I will always find some new way to make it better. If this is the case I need to be able to tune it myself. I have the tools. i.e. HP ,Tuners software and credits. I now need the knowlege. Please point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bly123 View Post
    How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software? I have the software and the interface cable and the credits. I have been paying others in the past to tune it. Now I have a new engine( ls1 410 Stroker). New turbo (Procomp triple Ball bearing). And I want to do the veriable speed tune useing the 2 bar sensor. This takes time and I want to be able to tweek it myself. Where do I learn all this? Are there books? Are there others willing to teach? Please help. My car has become a never ending series of upgrades and I will never be compleatly done with it, I will always find some new way to make it better. If this is the case I need to be able to tune it myself. I have the tools. i.e. HP ,Tuners software and credits. I now need the knowlege. Please point me in the right direction.
    http://thetuningschool.com/
    http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Advanced Tuner
    spend some time going thru all the stickies and demos. read as many old posts as you can.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks.

... also, post your location information. You may have a thirsty guru living two streets over that has run out of Guinness, but has plenty of time to mentor.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531 View Post
    ... also, post your location information. You may have a thirsty guru living two streets over that has run out of Guinness, but has plenty of time to mentor.
    I am in the same boat ... figured this was a good idea, so I added mine

Potential Tuner
    I live in Keller TX the Dallas Fort Woth area. Any one local that can help me learn at least the basics so I can figure out how to read a scan and makes changes?

I would suggest starting here:

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

Excellent book, and for the money, it's a steal.

It is a good book, but I have a 2010 Silverado and the new VCM's don't have a AFR VE Table. So I am still lost even with the book.

Before touching a setup like that, you need to make sure you understand all the details. That is not a setup to learn on really as it makes it more critical to be close.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

+1 to all the above posts.

I read through the ma sport book before starting tuning and a couple more times during. But, theres still plenty know-how gaps. I ended up calling up a local accomplished tuner and he gave me a huge helping hand. Still not done though, now Im looking into buying a Greg Banish DVD.

My car is cam only and Im having a hard time grasping everything with tuning. I recommend learing on a near stock car before you touch the turbo tuning. You might be better off learing as much as you can but still have someone else do your tune. I know its not what you want to hear but Im sure you have a few pennies in your new setup.
    99 Hugger Camaro LS1 M6 TSP Torquer V2 cam, 100 dry-shot N2O, 42# "green tops", lid, p&p MAF/TB, LS6 Intake, Hooker LT's, Custom ORY with Flowmaster Merge, DMH cutout, Magnaflow CB, tuned with LC-1 and '02 OS.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet

Potential Tuner
    BUMPING an old ass thread. I'm in S. Jersey and would love to learn first hand from a Pro Tuner willing to show me the ropes.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple87SS View Post
    BUMPING an old ass thread. I'm in S. Jersey and would love to learn first hand from a Pro Tuner willing to show me the ropes.
    I'm in central nj and I'm in the same boat I wish someone would start a reasonable priced class in nj I'd pay 250-300 for one

Where are you located??

I would personally recommend The Tuning School. I have been personally doing EFI calibration since back in the GN & TPI days (UV EPROMS & MEMCALS). I purchased a brand new mustang dyno and a free trip to the tuning school was included. I decided to go before SEMA 2 years ago and I can say Bob & Jason are top notch and systematically attack tuning the correct way.

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

Tuner in Training
    not to sound bad guys. all your info is great. but that don't help the budget guy that's trying to transition from old school to new school tuning. some off us cant afford a tuning school nor are we going to open a business doing so. someone seting out to make some videos explaining what the tables do or how to set time. or even how to avoid common mistakes. like me. I don't want someone to do it for me. but trying to figure all the stuff out like the tables, hystographs, where to set timing and where to adjust fuel wold help new guys out big time and would stop a lot of questions. iv had a couple guy try to look at my tune but been fighting cancer in and out of the hospitals it been hard to stick with it. anyways hope no one took offence it wasn't ment that way. have a good one fellas

Quote Originally Posted by sniperperformance View Post
    someone seting out to make some videos explaining what the tables do or how to set time. or even how to avoid common mistakes. like me...
    You mean like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-dvd-1

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    I've never seen your DVD, but I do have both of your books. Highly recommended, especially if your budget is tight.

Advanced Tuner
    I`m in a similar boat....tuned up to C5 FI vettes...I am looking for some step procedure info on a 2015 gen 5 5.3 with whipple....need to fill in a lot of blanks
    2003 MY Z06 3.3 liter whipple ...sold at around 1000 rwhp
    wip 2015 Silverado w/2.9 Whipple (phase 1 completed) phase 2 in the works

Give our website a look...think you will be impressed :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]