Thread: How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software?

Potential Tuner

How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software?

How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software? I have the software and the interface cable and the credits. I have been paying others in the past to tune it. Now I have a new engine( ls1 410 Stroker). New turbo (Procomp triple Ball bearing). And I want to do the veriable speed tune useing the 2 bar sensor. This takes time and I want to be able to tweek it myself. Where do I learn all this? Are there books? Are there others willing to teach? Please help. My car has become a never ending series of upgrades and I will never be compleatly done with it, I will always find some new way to make it better. If this is the case I need to be able to tune it myself. I have the tools. i.e. HP ,Tuners software and credits. I now need the knowlege. Please point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bly123 View Post
    How can I learn how to use my HP Tuners software? I have the software and the interface cable and the credits. I have been paying others in the past to tune it. Now I have a new engine( ls1 410 Stroker). New turbo (Procomp triple Ball bearing). And I want to do the veriable speed tune useing the 2 bar sensor. This takes time and I want to be able to tweek it myself. Where do I learn all this? Are there books? Are there others willing to teach? Please help. My car has become a never ending series of upgrades and I will never be compleatly done with it, I will always find some new way to make it better. If this is the case I need to be able to tune it myself. I have the tools. i.e. HP ,Tuners software and credits. I now need the knowlege. Please point me in the right direction.
    http://thetuningschool.com/
    http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Advanced Tuner
    spend some time going thru all the stickies and demos. read as many old posts as you can.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks.

... also, post your location information. You may have a thirsty guru living two streets over that has run out of Guinness, but has plenty of time to mentor.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531 View Post
    ... also, post your location information. You may have a thirsty guru living two streets over that has run out of Guinness, but has plenty of time to mentor.
    I am in the same boat ... figured this was a good idea, so I added mine

Potential Tuner
    I live in Keller TX the Dallas Fort Woth area. Any one local that can help me learn at least the basics so I can figure out how to read a scan and makes changes?

I would suggest starting here:

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

Excellent book, and for the money, it's a steal.
    2006 Trailblazer SS Stock- almost. Roush SC installed. 2 Bar OS.

Potential Tuner
    It is a good book, but I have a 2010 Silverado and the new VCM's don't have a AFR VE Table. So I am still lost even with the book.

Before touching a setup like that, you need to make sure you understand all the details. That is not a setup to learn on really as it makes it more critical to be close.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6
    Old Setup: 480 rwhp 437 rwtq with 230/232 cam and a best of 7.17@98.47 w/1.58 60'
    New Setup: AFR heads, 11.6:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 236/244 custom ground cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s

+1 to all the above posts.

I read through the ma sport book before starting tuning and a couple more times during. But, theres still plenty know-how gaps. I ended up calling up a local accomplished tuner and he gave me a huge helping hand. Still not done though, now Im looking into buying a Greg Banish DVD.

My car is cam only and Im having a hard time grasping everything with tuning. I recommend learing on a near stock car before you touch the turbo tuning. You might be better off learing as much as you can but still have someone else do your tune. I know its not what you want to hear but Im sure you have a few pennies in your new setup.
    99 Hugger Camaro LS1 M6 TSP Torquer V2 cam, 100 dry-shot N2O, 42# "green tops", lid, p&p MAF/TB, LS6 Intake, Hooker LT's, Custom ORY with Flowmaster Merge, DMH cutout, Magnaflow CB, tuned with LC-1 and '02 OS.

Potential Tuner
    Sweet

Potential Tuner
    BUMPING an old ass thread. I'm in S. Jersey and would love to learn first hand from a Pro Tuner willing to show me the ropes.