Thread: HP Tuners and Windows Vista

Advanced Tuner

HP Tuners and Windows Vista

Hello,
    I am having a problem. I cannot open a .cfg file from going to the VCM Scanner and selecting File>Open Config> then browsing to the HP Tuners folder and selecting the config that I want. It keeps telling me that I do not have permission to open that file or folder. I uninstalled the Suite and changed the location to C:\HPTuners vs. C:\Program Files\HPTuners. I was on the phone with Dell support and even they could not figure out the permissions. I hope someone has an easy fix for this issue. I bought the computer in January. It is an XPS 420 if that helps any. I appreciate your help!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Welcome to the wonderful world of windows vista.

Move your files to a folder you have permission for and you'll be able to open them through hptuners.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Bill I will try that. It worked fine, but why is Vista like that?
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Contact Bill Gates

Honestly I have no clue, I just relocated my files to my documents folder & all has been well.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    It is security. Something long overdue. If you run the setup the right way and install it as normal, you can used HPTuners even when installed under C:\Program Files (I do). An alternative is to run the program as an Administrator all the time. (but then you will be prompted for administrator access every time you run the program).

It is just a change in methodology for using Windows. But in the end, this added security will be a good thing.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner
    I read somewhere that you can decrease the security level. Tried to find the thread but couldn't.
    03 Mercedes ML55 AMG - Stock
    06 S2000
    06 GMC Sierra 3500 - Tuned
    09 GT-R - Stock
    09 Lexus LX570
    10 Camaro SS , Bolt Ons , Tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Not required to lower the security level.. I didnt...

By doing so, you would be killing part of the security Vista brings.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    Not required to lower the security level.. I didnt...

By doing so, you would be killing part of the security Vista brings.
    Yea, how would you live without the Vista security?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY <---
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Yea, how would you live without the Vista security?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY <---
    Hey, I dont see you preaching linux either.. But Vista is at least a step forward. At least people complaining about the security in Vista at least know what they were missing in XP and earlier. They just are looking at it in the wrong way.

And the Mac thing, yeah, I one owned a Mac. Back when they were something unique (before OS X). If I wanted another Intel based PC running a non-windows OS, I would just be running Linux on my PC. Hell, I would even buy one of the supported versions of Linux before I purchased OS X. But now we are off topic again.

I'm by no means a Mac advocate, but I dig that commercial. In fact I'm Microsoft through and throuth (MCSE since NT 4). I just think Vista is a bloated POS. My home machine ran fine on XP with 1/2 GB of RAM, stepped up to 2 GB to run Vista and it still ran quite noticably slower. For the enterprise it will require a huge tech refresh to run properly. I'm sure I'll come around. I fought moving to Windows 95 at first too but I think I'll stay on XP until it's end of life.

Sorry for the hijack.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    I'm by no means a Mac advocate, but I dig that commercial. In fact I'm Microsoft through and throuth (MCSE since NT 4). I just think Vista is a bloated POS. My home machine ran fine on XP with 1/2 GB of RAM, stepped up to 2 GB to run Vista and it still ran quite noticably slower. For the enterprise it will require a huge tech refresh to run properly. I'm sure I'll come around. I fought moving to Windows 95 at first too but I think I'll stay on XP until it's end of life.

Sorry for the hijack.

Still jacked. But, shut off what you dont need. XP was the same way when it first came out. I personally havent disabled a thing in Vista. (well, web preview as I did in XP). .Otherwise, 2gb and it runs acceptable. Single core machines I have seen it on suffer though.

Anyway, to the OP. Have you disabled anything in Vista (like UAC or the virtual file system)? If not, uninstall HPTuners and do a simple clean install. Then, run the program, activate, etc. Once you have done that, just save your configs in a nice accessible (with your permissions) location (like you user folder). You wont run in to any other permission issues then.
    Last edited by bilemke; 03-20-2008 at 02:57 PM.