Thread: What is the "ideal" cranking AFR?

Advanced Tuner

What is the "ideal" cranking AFR?

I'm having a lot of trouble with hot starts and when I log a cranking cycle my Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Rez reads a 7.08. I'm guessing that is too rich for the car to be able to start. What tables need to be adjusted and what AFR should I shoot for?
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I've decided to basically put everything back to stock with the exception of the spark tables and the MAF. I'm going to try adding only startup air and see what that gets me.

Advanced Tuner
    I have just changed my tune about 20 times trying various things. I tried more startup air, less startup air, more cranking fuel, a lot more cranking fuel, less cranking fuel, a lot less cranking fuel and a bunch of combinations of those two and nothing seems to help my startup issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried Injector Temp Gain? This is mainly to assist with hot starts.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same issue when cold. Or after the car rest for about an hour and i switch on the ign. The commander afr is about 4-9 which is way too rich.

After i crank it and it starts then it quickly runs through 13-14.68.

Which tables / settings reference the commanded AFR on reds/ign ON with no cranking.

I have adjusted the openloop IVT base table and Gains tables. Without success.

Thankyou

Tuner in Training
    Same issue here. If the car sits for about an hour after shutting off then it is hard to start. I would love an answer to this since I can't seem to figure it out.
    Daniel

Pontiac G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    Yeah. The weird thing is mine runs perfectly when at full operating temp. Idles nice. No much of an idle dip in gear or park free revving. But when cold or after shut of for an hour it seems overly rich when restarting and stumbles and wants to dip and stall sometimes until full operating temp is reached. I have a 216/226 cam and LT headers and thinking it may be an open loop fueling issue. So i Played with the 50kpa settings In the ivt gain table as that's where my cam now idles but there's still an issue . I'm going to go over the ve table once more in the idle areas as I'm in full sd mode but I'm sure it's pretty close as my fuel trims are usually -2 to +2.

Any tips would be appreciated

P.s . I don't have a maf installed and in sd mode so can anyone help explain the process of working out the idle airflow without the maf in a l98 gen4? Do you use the ve airflow pid in the scanner?
    Last edited by Jamz; 12-31-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Increase OL P/N and In Gear fueling for the corresponding IVT versus Coolant temp. Problem solved.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    I have modified the airflow minimum vs etc multiplier table so that's there is more minimum running airflow at colder ect temps to fix the problem.

The idle guide I read on the forum shows how to log the idle airflow on a gen 3 vs ect from a cold start right through to hot. In the gen 4. I found the hot running airflow numbers and used the multiplier table to add air for lower ect's.

Hope that helps someone else with the same problem.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Increase OL P/N and In Gear fueling for the corresponding IVT versus Coolant temp. Problem solved.
    The issue wasn't adding fuel, it was actually rich after I installed my cam. I actually had to reduce fuel in the ivt gain tables, drop the cranking ve to 80% across therboard and increase base running airflow for colder temps to get a nice afr for cold and warm startup / driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    The issue wasn't adding fuel, it was actually rich after I installed my cam. I actually had to reduce fuel in the ivt gain tables, drop the cranking ve to 80% across therboard and increase base running airflow for colder temps to get a nice afr for cold and warm startup / driving.
    Uh.... Well if that works for you that's dandy.

I've never had that much issue nailing down hot and cold starts by simply changing minor OL stuff and airflow tables but then again I guess every car is different.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap