Thread: Mustang Dyno Tuning

Tuner in Training

Mustang Dyno Tuning

I have a friend that has a Mustang Dyno at his garage and I asked him if he'd mind me using the dyno for tuning my G8. He's okay with it and I plan on going there sometime soon and trying my hand at dialing in the MAF and VE tables.

I figured the best thing to do was put the dyno at a target load and have it maintain that load while sweeping through the RPM range. So if that's what I should do, what percent load would you recommend? Or should a hit differing loads?
    Eric Singer
    -------------
    2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB (on it's way Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Corsa catted connector)
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V - Stock
    1985 Buick Grand National - Modified

Try and hit all your load cells, you wont get every cell but you should be able to do +80% of them, it will take a bit of time so do keep an eye on coolant temps and such.
    The more cells and the more hits will give you a more accurate fuelling and timing tables.
    Give it a go yourself first, if it doesnt work out then pay someone.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks,
    Getting a large amount of hits on most of the cells really should be much of an issue since I can give 100% attention to the data collection. I'm just wondering what other people with Mustang Dynos are doing? I was thinking that the Constant Force section would be the best, but obviously I'm not a professional tuner and the owner of the dyno isn't one either, just a very fortunate guy with a massive amount of cool toys/tools.
    Eric Singer
    -------------
    2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB (on it's way Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Corsa catted connector)

i dont us a mustang dyno and i dont think they exist in australia but the dyno dynamics i use while tuning lets you program the rpm point at which you want to tune(as long as you have a rpm input for it) and it just varies its retardation based upon the rpm signal being fed from the car so obviously as it sees the rpm trying to increase past its programmed point it increases the resistance to keep it there letting you cover the map range in the same rpm line, much easier than trying to tune using roller speed.
    Last edited by Delft Calais; 03-26-2010 at 06:22 AM.
    Give it a go yourself first, if it doesnt work out then pay someone.

Potential Tuner
    Yes, Mustang or Dyno Dynamics can work the same. Some Mustang dynos are equipped with optional RPM pickup and some use roller speed that needs to be calibrated from wheel (roller) speed - either way works fine. My personal preference is also to hold RPM zones and vary load with throttle to hit as many MAP values as posible. Airflow across the front of the car can't be stressed enough - may favorite fans are ones I can barely walk in front of! Temperature variations will obviously affect your results. As you obtain results from each RPM, step up one at a time. I don't have much HP specific experience, but about 11 years of dyno experience and can tell you that once you've created your tables, you should also do some 'sweep' tests to 'smooth' the tables a bit.

Ed

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Guys, that's great information. He has a RPM pickup for the dyno, so that's not a problem. Heck, he even has a tree for the dyno so you can simulate drag racing conditions.

So the objective is to vary loads while staying in the RPM zones and a final check using RPM sweeps. Thanks for the tip on the dyno fan as well, he's got one mother of a fan for that dyno. I think there are some YouTube videos from cars on the dyno from a meet we had at his shop last week.

Thanks!
    Eric
    Eric Singer
    -------------

Tuner in Training
    Eric Singer
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by dynotuner View Post
    you should also do some 'sweep' tests to 'smooth' the tables a bit.

Ed
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sweep test- running the throttle up and then back down without lifting off?
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkZ28 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sweep test- running the throttle up and then back down without lifting off?
    My interpretation is to use the same load and do a gradual sweep through the RPM range while dataloging. The hope is that you’re Air Fuel ratio will be at stoich through the RPM range. Only really looking at throttle up.
    Eric Singer
    -------------

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by esinger View Post
    I have a friend that has a Mustang Dyno at his garage and I asked him if he'd mind me using the dyno for tuning my G8. He's okay with it and I plan on going there sometime soon and trying my hand at dialing in the MAF and VE tables.

I figured the best thing to do was put the dyno at a target load and have it maintain that load while sweeping through the RPM range. So if that's what I should do, what percent load would you recommend? Or should a hit differing loads?
    Eric, would your friend let me rent the dyno to tune my car?
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1SS View Post
    Eric, would your friend let me rent the dyno to tune my car?
    I honestly don't know. I've never heard of him renting his dyno to anyone, but I'll ask him. His shop is his playground and not a business, it's only been recently that you could actually get to the dyno because the shop was filled with parts and cars he'd been collecting over the last year.
    Eric Singer
    -------------

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Eric.

I'm just looking for a place to dial in my maf that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Eric.

I'm just looking for a place to dial in my maf that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
    I don't think it'd be a problem, if you're not doing anything next Saturday I could see if it's okay for us both to use his dyno. That way we can both operate the dyno and he can focus on whatever projects he's got going on.
    Eric Singer
    -------------

Advanced Tuner
    Cool, let me check with my "scheduler"....lol

Tuner in Training
    Cool, let me check with my "scheduler"....lol
    I'm planning on going over there this afternoon just to hang out, if you're interested in checking it out let me know. We should go voice or PM.

Eric
    Eric Singer
    -------------