Thread: Idle timing

Idle timing

How does timing affect the way an engine idles? Is there any sense in increaseing/decreasing timing to have the idle be smoother or choppier?

Right now I have it back to the stock 550 rpm (automatic 4 speed) with 13-14* of timing. I had it for a while as high as 750 rpm with 22-23* of timing and it seemed smoother, but less of an exhaust note.

So what do you guys run for timing and rpm, and how does it feel? Smooth, choppy etc?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try using vcm controls, it'll give you a good idea as to what it does when you move timing up or down.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I tried that, for some reason the timing is greyed out and can't adjust it, but I can the rpm. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Email support your .hpt file, vcm suite infolog while connected to the vehicle in question and a screenshot of it being grayed out please.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Way too many factors go into this, no real easy answer and it depends on the starting point.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB