Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual intake, Mafless tune... At least I hope

And so it has begun...

I got the MVPI Pro in the mail last night, as well as THIS bad boy:

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    Track The Executioner on Facebook
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    K&N FIPK (dual ram-air "under construction")
    2.75" exhaust, high flow cats, x-pipe, & Spintech "mufflers"
    Wilwood brakes, 14" rotors w/ 6 pistons in front, 4 pistons rear
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19
    Banshee hood (carbon fiber), RK Sport front bumper, one-off rear bumper

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04goat View Post
    fabrication alone will likely take a few weeks. But I'm hoping to make progress on my VE table in between *
    shouldnt you have all the components in place before you start any air -flo modeling ?
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    shouldnt you have all the components in place before you start any air -flo modeling ?
    Baby steps! Before I can go live with the new setup, I have to eliminate the MAF. Before I can switch to SD, I need a good MAF tune. And that works out, because Spectre Performance seems to take a LOOONG time to fulfill their orders (intake tubing). That gives me plenty of time to finish my MAF tune, install my WB O2, and then re-tune in SD while I am waiting on the pieces to be delivered.

Of course, I'm a novice, and this process is what I've pieced together from various bits of advice... I'm always open to any constructive criticism or additional suggestions!

BTW, if anyone is curious, I'm planning to mount my IAT sensor on the underside of this piece, right in the weld... Basically as far away from the throttle body as I can be while still detecting flow from both sides. Anyone see a problem with this idea?

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

Why waste your time tuning the MAF if you are going to remove it. Just work on the SD tune and the bias modeling so you don't have to worry about a retune when weather changes. The is the only downfall of an SD tune, depending on what is cut off in your operating system. Some control better than others.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    Why waste your time tuning the MAF if you are going to remove it. Just work on the SD tune and the bias modeling so you don't have to worry about a retune when weather changes. The is the only downfall of an SD tune, depending on what is cut off in your operating system. Some control better than others.
    Well, ok... That was the novice in me making assumptions. I had assumed the phrase "current setup" from this post earlier in the thread included the MAF:

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    You should have no problem running an SD tune (MAFless). Before you start make sure your VE table is in good order with the current setup.
    By "current setup", then, does that just mean current INTAKE setup, but with the MAF disabled, as described here?

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    ...setting the MAF Fail High to 0 Hz and set P0103 to MIL on first error.

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

If youre going SD why not unlock the 1 Bar SD and take advantage of RTT.
    ill be doing the same thing as you.. except my car is a tad more radical.
    Last edited by sidewayz28; 04-06-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes, I think he meant to tune your VE table now to get a good base.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Correctomundo.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayz28 View Post
    If youre going SD why not unlock the 1 BAF SD and take advantage of RTT.
    Cause I'm a newbie and I don't rightly know WHAT I should do...

I'm open to whatever is best, given my setup, will be the easiest for a n00b tuning a daily driver, with a beginner's understanding and a relatively low budget.

I've read just a little on RTT and the different "BAR SD" setups. I have unused credits, so I could do something like that... (It does take credits, right?)

So, yeah... I'm game. I'm just getting different advice from all sides, and I don't know the merits of one over the other.

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

If youre going SD why not unlock the 1 Bar SD and take advantage of RTT.
    Upon further reading, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a 1 bar SD setup will be overkill, since I'm not really doing anything more than eliminating the MAF and opening up the intake. Plus, I'm nervous about not being able to "roll back" to the K&N and MAF, should there be a problem. I mean, if I mess up the tune and can't get it to run right, then I can't get to work the next day...

GOD, I need a new daily driver...

Besides, if I disable the MAF, and get it tuned relatively well, then I can always upgrade to 1 Bar SD later and further refine the tune, if necessary, right?

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

Yes it does take credits. i know this is the route im going to take. RTT allows you to adjust idle, spark etc.. in real time and gives you instant results. i messed around with it a year + ago before my car sat for a while.

my tuning is going to be different experience since im reloading a stock tune for a car that has heads/cam/intake and a TH400 tranny.

you should be good to go, just keep a saved file of your stock tune (Always do this). you will be fine. just dont make any drastic changes to your tune take your time.

*someone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure just because you do a 1 bar SD tune, doesnt mean you cant go back and use your MAF.. youd just need to dial in your MAF*
    Last edited by sidewayz28; 04-06-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    2001 Camaro SS

my tuning is going to be different experience since im reloading a stock tune for a car that has heads/cam/intake and a TH400 tranny.
    Uh... Yeah, totally different experience (and goal too, it would seem).

you should be good to go, just keep a saved file of your stock tune (Always do this). you will be fine. just dont make any drastic changes to your tune take your time.
    VERY good advice! I'd strongly recommend the same advice for anyone!

I have a "system"... I save EVERY tune, including a "before tune" and "after tune" version, named by date (YYYYMMDD) followed by a revision letter (c=3rd revision of the day) followed by "before" or "after".

I learned to do things like this in programming (my daytime profession)... Problems can appear gradually over several revisions, and by the time you notice it, the previous version is no good. But going all the way to the beginning is a waste... So, saving EVERY one allows me to roll back to a point where I know the problem didn't exist. So, yeah... I'm covered on backups!

My fear was, after reading the page on the 1 Bar SD upgrade, that I would LOSE the ability to roll back to the MAF if I screwed it up, ran out of time, and needed to get it running to get to work.

*someone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure just because you do a 1 bar SD tune, doesnt mean you cant go back and use your MAF.. youd just need to dial in your MAF*
    The URL below says "Speed Density ONLY"... But I'd love to know if you can still switch back and forth in case of problems.
    http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_enhance.php

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

ah, i might have been a tad confusing. I think just cause you use the credits to get the 1 Baf SD application, doesnt mean you cant change back to the stock application/MAF.

anyways im right there with you, and will be happy to let you know how my tunes coming along in this thread. going to try and swap out injectors tonight. then i need to work on swapping the PLX for the NGK AFX
    2001 Camaro SS

ah, i might have been a tad confusing. I think just cause you use the credits to get the 1 Baf SD application, doesnt mean you cant change back to the stock application/MAF.

anyways im right there with you, and will be happy to let you know how my tunes coming along in this thread. going to try and swap out injectors tonight. then i need to work on swapping the PLX for the NGK AFX
    sweet. I doubt if I'll get anything done tonight... but the next step for me either way is still to get the AFX WB installed and set up in the scanner (no WB currently). maybe I can pull the K&N and mock up the new Y-tube and order the next pieces... we'll see.

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

injector swap: 1/2 complete.. now i just need to put the new guys in and hook everything back up.
    wont be fun smelling like fuel for the next 2 days
    2001 Camaro SS

In any OS where there is a secondary VE table, the MAF is hard coded out of the SD OS.

Well, this is it! It's going under the knife Thursday morning. We're totally relocating the radiator and battery, and either relocating or eliminating the windshield reservoir. Also may have to relocate some pulleys and change to a new serpentine. All of this will make room for the big dual intake that will be going in.

I switched to an SD tune the other night. It's running like crap, but it's RUNNING. I tried to tune on in, but I'm getting nothing from my AFX analog output (posted separately here)...

So, it looks like it'll go under the knife with a bad tune, and I'll have to clean it up on the back side.

I'll try to check back in here, but most updates/photos will be on the car's Facebook page

"The Executioner"

(More pics here)
    2004 GTO (LS1)
    Pedders drag springs
    245/35/19 & 275/30/19

I posted on your other thread, looks like you have the brown analog wire done wrong. Otherwise, good luck with the swap!
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

that Y design is cause some nasty turbulence around the TB

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Advanced Tuner
    why dont you get a good intake.. you can get any intake from AUS and they will fit that car...