Thread: OK guys I have the 408 running did my first drive files added.

Cool OK guys I have the 408 running did my first drive files added.

one side is lean -18 the other will go to +- -2. I am guessing a stuck injector. I have another set in my Z of green tops. Ill swap that side tomorrow.

However two problems my throttle cracker or idle is horrible no matter what I tune it wants to go to about 700 rpms which eventually will shut the car down at idle. I set the commanded idle at 1300 even and it doesnt matter. I added 25 percent to the throttle cracker... same thing.

So
    1. rich condition is still there. Short terms are fighting hard continuously.
    2. idle how can i set it to say 1050 for now.
    3. please check my injector tables.

Frost will be doing a base tune for me when he gets caught up. I may bring it down to his shop. For now though I am not trying to race or even go WOT just a 20 minute drive from time to time. its a 4 YEAR project so im beside myself right now.
    I didnt want to drive it far like that so the log is only for a few miles. Any pointers by PM or directly here on the forums would be appreciated.

Iron 408 25x 25x cam, stage 3 243 heads, 1 7/8" headers, ported fast 92 and a 90mm TB from an LS2, VARARAM, 42lb green tops, and ASP pulley in a 97 c5 vette
    Last edited by ssdungeon; 04-19-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Per Greg's data, your IFR is close but the SPA, min PW and Offset are off....do you have his DVD? If not, without giving away the keys to the cript cut the offset in half from 10 volts and up

Change the cyl vol from stock to .83625 (408 CI). Set ETC Area Scalar to .0192 (90mm TB). Look for an exhaust leak to try and explain the large differenece in FT's. The RAF is stock, but you would think it would need to be almost doubled, which we can look at after the above changes. You are dumping way too much fuel, would like to see MAF HZ vs AF as Calc cyl air is about 1/2 of Dyn Cyl Air? Thinking vacumn leak.

Will keep looking, don't want to make any heavy changes in fueling until the basics are firmed up. I would put follower back to stock for now also.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 04-22-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Thanks ill check. Yes I have the DVD I went back and made a few corrections. Ill put up a long run file tonight.

I have a leak alright its where im trying to use a 78mm maf with 90mm everything else. its before the Maf the vararam intake setup. The coupler is clamped to give some vacuum. I am thinking about ditching it until I can get an SD tune which I have been trying to get someone to help me with. The only reason im doing the MAF is for ease of tuning....but thats not going too well.

Quote Originally Posted by ssdungeon View Post
    Thanks ill check. Yes I have the DVD I went back and made a few corrections. Ill put up a long run file tonight.

I have a leak alright its where im trying to use a 78mm maf with 90mm everything else. its before the Maf the vararam intake setup. The coupler is clamped to give some vacuum. I am thinking about ditching it until I can get an SD tune which I have been trying to get someone to help me with. The only reason im doing the MAF is for ease of tuning....but thats not going too well.
    If the leak is before the MAF then it really shouldn't be a problem. Only extra air entering the thottle body and/or engine (i.e intake) that hasn't been registered by the MAF would represent a problem.

Initial MAF tuning only is the way I start, a bit easier and gets most of the other parameters in order before tackling the more tricky VE table. Obviously the dyno makes the VE tuning easier.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Per Greg's data, your IFR is close but the SPA, min PW and Offset are off....do you have his DVD? If not, without giving away the keys to the cript cut the offset in half from 10 volts and up

Change the cyl vol from stock to .83625 (408 CI). Set ETC Area Scalar to .0192 (90mm TB). Look for an exhaust leak to try and explain the large differenece in FT's. The RAF is stock, but you would think it would need to be almost doubled, which we can look at after the above changes. You are dumping way too much fuel, would like to see MAF HZ vs AF as Calc cyl air is about 1/2 of Dyn Cyl Air? Thinking vacumn leak.

Will keep looking, don't want to make any heavy changes in fueling until the basics are firmed up. I would put follower back to stock for now also.

Ed M
    Ed,

Thanks for your time I think I have made the changes correctly but something still makes me hella rich when cranking and idling. I finally got the coupler I need in to seal off the MAF. Not sure what RAF stads for and I cant find the ETC area scaler I am in line waiting on a Frost tune now. The car runs so rich that I have fouled a set of plugs so its dangerous. If I had stockers to put in it for now I probably would. I have the GB DVD and as far as I know I have gone completely through the injector portion and done everything. Attached is what I end up with. If I can get past the fueling I can install the wideband that I have and really get this show on the road I have a LOT of money tied up in this engine so I really need a little help with the fueling. I am DEFINATELY going to get a dyno tune but there are no dyno shops near me so I want a decent enough tune to drive it there.
    Last edited by ssdungeon; 04-18-2011 at 11:59 PM.

RAF = Base Running Airflow

Injector data looks good now. Way too much fuel. Check Rail pressure I think on the 97/98 vette, the pressure regulator was a part of the fuel rail IIRC ...stock or after market fuel system?

Edit Update 4/25/10 -- Just saw the pic of your intake and fuel rail.....not stock Still, verify the fuel rail pressure.

PM sent...

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 04-25-2010 at 05:33 AM.

[email protected]