Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The final truth: LTFT's and WOT

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you think tuning via trims is comparable to tuning with a wideband, you haven't spent much time doing it both ways. That part isn't an opinion. I can map 3 VE tables before you can do really do the cruise portion of just one using trims; especially down low on anything with much cam and LTs. Trims make rocky-ass VE tables if you aren't constantly refining by hand too.

The more I think it about it, I'm not sure how using LTFTs on modded cars is just opinion either. I can make a list of reasons NOT to have them, but I can't really think of a reason TO have them if the car is properly tuned. What is the reason that you would want to keep them?
    I'm not going to argue against you, since I think I've learned a thing or two from your earlier posts already since 2007 when I joined this forum and on the other hand I have no previous tuning experience with any cars and I only tune my Vette anyway. So who I am to recommend anything? Instead, I DO listen what you write here!

Being said that, I think that at least earlier there has been some false information in this forum. I guess it's just a nature of Internet forums, where everyone can post whatever they want. But since this is a community, false information gets corrected sooner or later. Which is good.

Now, since you say that LTFT's are not that useful for tuning compared to WB, my response here is: maybe it's not that black and white. For milder cams, maybe it's just ok to use LTFT's, but on the other hand, for big cams maybe WB is better. In any case, hand smoothing is always preferred, right?

A minor topic here I would like to mention is that many tuning tricks do seem to depend many other things. For example things like "remember to copy high octane table to low octane table"... but then later I noticed that since I have 2 bar COS, that doesn't apply. And so on. Maybe the applicability with LTFT-based tuning is another example - perhaps it only works with small cams.

Finally, I do have something to ask from you. How come there seems to be variation between pro tuners what to do in certain situations? You see, it was one from the pro's here I learned to use LTFT's for VE tuning. They do state in their documents roughly following: "There are many ways...to make changes to the...VE table. This is the method presented....and recommended by....NNN."

After purchasing pretty much all books and documents available for GM PCM tuning and some .hpt files from pro tuners as well, I have a some understanding of the basics and now my car runs fine. But what's the final truth of the right way to do tuning...let's see if we'll get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you think tuning via trims is comparable to tuning with a wideband, you haven't spent much time doing it both ways. That part isn't an opinion. I can map 3 VE tables before you can do really do the cruise portion of just one using trims; especially down low on anything with much cam and LTs. Trims make rocky-ass VE tables if you aren't constantly refining by hand too.

The more I think it about it, I'm not sure how using LTFTs on modded cars is just opinion either. I can make a list of reasons NOT to have them, but I can't really think of a reason TO have them if the car is properly tuned. What is the reason that you would want to keep them?
    after reading this thread I think just turning of the LTFT's will solve the problems I see with my PE at WOT.
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX