Thread: burst knock retard question

Tuner in Training

burst knock retard question

I am running an LS2, 227/230 cam, ported heads, FAST, and headers. On occasion there is some burst knock retard occurring around high torque rpms, 4400-4800. The timing is 23-24 and the AFRs are approx 12.4. Note, there is no other knock retard occurring except the burst knock.

I will be going to the dyno soon and would like to add timing to see if I can gain any power. Should I be concerned about the burst knock?

I noticed Vengeance Racing was running 28 degrees advance on an LS2, which I would like to try out on the dyno.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/12952700-post186.html

Don't quote me on this, but I believe burst knock is to prevent knock. When the computer detects situations that may induce kr, it pulls timing in those spots to prevent real kr, which is the burst knock

Tuner in Training
    thanks Blackdevil77. I have read that as well... burst knock set off by cylinder pressure changes/deltas.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it's predictive/preventative KR. Takes timing out on airflow variations as you have seen so that the knock does not occur and therefore knock learn down does not take place. A good thing!