Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install 2.22 and 2.23beta on same computer???

How to install 2.22 and 2.23beta on same computer???

How do I install 2.22 and 2.23 beta on the same computer?
    TSP H/C 430WHP

Quote Originally Posted by mvenom408 View Post
    How do I install 2.22 and 2.23 beta on the same computer?
    thats a great question. there should be a way to do this.

i have 2.22 on my old laptop. sometimes the 2.23 wont do things i need. problem is my old lap top is old and barely works.
    2017 camaro ss a8 with low mount twins

Install 2.22, copy out the scanner and editor EXE's into a 2.22 directory, upgrade to the latest beta and copy those EXE's to a 2.23 directory. Then just copy whichever version of either program you want to run back into the main directory.

ALL CRADET TO
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    use a flash drive with one or the other on it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Should be able to install a different version under a different windows login as well.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I think if you have 2 logical hard drives on the Lap Top, you should be able to do it without a problem.
    Install 2.22 on drive C: and 2.23 beta on E: , you should also be able to install 2 different groups for the start menu, just change names to 2.22 and 2.23

anyway, Im going to try it tomorrow

Where would the .exe files be located?

I found them. C:\Program Files\HP Tuners\VCM Suite 2 The editor and scanner there. those are the ones you copy out and replace with what ever version you want to run.

I tried it and its very easy.
    Just create 2 directories under C:\program Files\HP Tuners , something like this:

Then Install the 2.22 first into its directoy, make sure to choose the 2.22 directory you previously created when the installer prompts you. When Finished, rename the Start menu group to 2.22 or whatever you want.

After this, install the beta under its own directory, proceed same as always. You will end with 2 separate direcroties and 2 start menu groups:

Regards.

Didnt work for me instead it copied out the files in one directory so only one of them worked.
    Am I doing sometime wrong?

I created the HP tuners folder in the Program files then I created the sub folders for 2.22and 2.23 within the HP tuners folder.
    Then I installed 2.22 first under the 2.22 folder and after the install went to start all programs to rename to HP Tuners 2.22 and saved.
    I then installed 2.23 under the 2.23 folder and after the install went to start all programs to rename to HP Tuners Beta 2.23 and saved.
    Did I not do something right?

Tuner
    I tried this originally too and I couldn't get it to work out right either.

Tuner in Training
    I created two user accounts on my laptop. Named the accoutns HPTuners and HPTunersBeta. Since HPTuners makes use of C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\HP Tuners, having two accounts is an acceptable and easy means of using two versions of HP Tuners.

In the event you need to quickly change between 2.22 and 2.23, you can just switch users without even logging off. (just make sure one suite isnt connected to the vehicle while trying to connect with the other)

For installation, I just changed the target directory from C:\Program Files\HP Tuners to C:\Program Files\HP Tuners_222 and HPTuners_223.

Don't understand why you couldn't install both versions. Its really easy.

No need to change user.

I can even use both the 2.22 and 2.23 beta at the same time

Tuner in Training
    The only reason would be because both versions would try to access the same C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\HP Tuners folder.

If you mix and match configs across the different versions, it is a good recipie for a corrupted config.

If youre good enough at micro managing you can set up your ini files to read from certain directories by default, but thats not easy for the average user.

Tuner
    That's the problem I was having was that both versions create a folder in your My Documents called HP Tuners and I couldn't find a way to point the software to a different folder. If I changed the names of the folders it would always try to create a new one called HP Tuners. It would be nice if the software offered a way to change the file location pointer in the options settings or something.

Potential Tuner
    TIP:

You can choose where you wish to work, The software remembers the last location used. Otherwise it defaults. Most windows software has this inherent action. To change, just do a "save as" and browse wherever you wish creating directories in the standard windows way as you go. I do this over a WiFi connection to a central location. Only have on my laptop what I need. Keeps mix ups to a minimum.

Let me add that I organize my files based on version first. Data sub folders named "2.22" and "2.23b" so I have no doubt what version created the files.
    Last edited by Smoky; 04-25-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: update

Tuner in Training
    For me in Win7 64 bit, none of the above worked. The installer always erased the other version (normal or beta) no matter what User I was or what Folder I installed into within Program Files or some Subfolder of Program Files.

What did work was the following:

Created two users: HPTuner and HPTunerBeta

Change the installation folder for either the normal or beta software to the desktop folder of the corresponding user.

Thus I install into /Users/HPTuner/Desktop or /Users/HPTunerBeta/Desktop with the appropriate installer either normal or beta.

When I did this I end up with 2.22 Editor and Scanner installed on the HPTuner Desktop and 2.23 (current beta) Editor and Scanner installed on the HPTunerBeta's Desktop.

I conclude that the the installer wipes any files from "Program Files" when it installs and so you cannot install two HPTuner's programs in that folder. But install on two Desktops of two different users and it seems to work.

BTW the USB drivers had to be updated as per other threads instructions for Vista and Win7 MVPI drivers, but both HPTuner and HPTunerBeta users are able to use the same driver install, no duplicate installation there.

Potential Tuner
    i have 2.22 and i got a tune sent to me to help me out and he has 2.23 beta. how would i be able to use this? where do i get the beta info?

Whats this 2.23 beta you speak of I have just 2.22 where can I get 2.23 beta?