Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great 2007 TBSS Tune inside

Quote Originally Posted by zippy performance View Post
    The power enrichment is set at 1.190 which sets your afr commanded at 12.33:1. This means you're either compensating for a miss calibrated mass air and or miss calibrated v.e. table. You'll make much more power with a considerably leaner afr.
    Yea, I don't agree with this at all. I can't comment on the rest because I can't bring myself to start modding my daily driver TBSS (because then it'll turn into a never ending stupid ass project), but as far as power production, leaner is not meaner. Gen IVs work great with a mid 12 AFR on pure gasoline. They make more power, they fend off knock, they run more consistent, and they run smoother. I've checked this on multiple cars with both an inertia DynoJet and a load-based Dyno Dynamics. Slightly leaner might be better... but considerably leaner would be a dumb move.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

I don't have to own any vehicle at all to know what works. I've spent the time at the track, on the street, and on the dyno to know what works. I have also spent plenty of time with TBSS's and LS2's. Have you ever had a wideband on your truck? This is commonly the biggest problem. Power enrichment isn't a setting to adjust to get rid of knock. On almost every vehicle I work on that has been tuned by someone else I see power enrichment settings of around 1.19-1.23. When you actually put a wideband on them you'll commonly see that they run near a 13.0:1 afr. If your tune is right your commanded afr is what you'll get. If you're adjusting p.e. until you get rid of knock then you need to calibrate the v.e. table and maf table. The majority of tuning isn't really tuning at all, 80% of it is calibrating, not tuning. Before questioning whether or not I'm right or wrong with richer or leaner, do tell what your current afr is with an actual wideband reading. I'm saying 12.33 is way richer than needed. With your truck still running on a stock V.E. and a stock maf you're not likely running 12.33, but closer to 13.0 which at peak torque is too lean and is about right to fade to just before shift point. The LS2's are certainly more sensitive to knock due to a small and and high compression. The best thing you can do for an LS2, LS3, LS7, L76, etc. is to switch the stock spark plugs over to a TR6. You can make the same power as the stock heat range, but with much less sensitivity to heat and crappy gas. If you give those a try you'll find the spark table much easier to work with and a big gain for a $20 purchase.

I'm not sure if you're directing any of that at me, but I use an NGK AFX with an NTK sensor, and you'd better believe that my actual AFR matches my commanded AFR dead nuts throughout the entire RPM band. It's not a matter of adjusting PE blindly... it's a matter of 0.85 lambda working out better than 0.89 lambda. He already noted that the MAF and VE tables were stock because that's not something he can dial in for everybody's vehicle. That's obviously left up to the end user.

FWIW, my cammed Z06 has TR6 plugs.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I'm not sure if you're directing any of that at me, but I use an NGK AFX with an NTK sensor, and you'd better believe that my actual AFR matches my commanded AFR dead nuts throughout the entire RPM band. It's not a matter of adjusting PE blindly... it's a matter of 0.85 lambda working out better than 0.89 lambda. He already noted that the MAF and VE tables were stock because that's not something he can dial in for everybody's vehicle. That's obviously left up to the end user.

FWIW, my cammed Z06 has TR6 plugs.
    Nope, that I was directing at him. Good choice on your Z06 setup. As for power enrichment on something like your Z06, I run a roughly a .83 lambada all the way to 250rpm past torque peak and then slowly ramp it down to a .885 lambada by peak hp. This does vary depending on the vehicle though as some don't respond hardly at all to being leaned out. I run them as rich as I can without losing power due to it.

Senior Tuner
    I don't have to own any vehicle at all to know what works. I've spent the time at the track, on the street, and on the dyno to know what works. I have also spent plenty of time with TBSS's and LS2's. Have you ever had a wideband on your truck? This is commonly the biggest problem. Power enrichment isn't a setting to adjust to get rid of knock. On almost every vehicle I work on that has been tuned by someone else I see power enrichment settings of around 1.19-1.23. When you actually put a wideband on them you'll commonly see that they run near a 13.0:1 afr. If your tune is right your commanded afr is what you'll get.

You sound pretty level headed but you come across as an arrogant you know what.

Glad you have luck tuning your crap...here is how my tunes perform:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15095

Angry Criticism ruins most things....

?? Well that was whack to read. BBA was doing everyone a favor by putting together a, from what I have read, fantastic tune. The 6.0L is a wickedly complicated motor to tune and it seems BBA did a damn good job of mastering how to do it, and make an overall streetable tune that everyone could use and I do believe tow with as well. Pardon me if this comes off as rude, but i don't see you helping out the community and posting tunes for us to use at our will in our vehicles "zippy performance" Good job BBA and keep up the good work of pleasing the HP Tuners community.

-Robbie.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    ?? Well that was whack to read. BBA was doing everyone a favor by putting together a, from what I have read, fantastic tune. The 6.0L is a wickedly complicated motor to tune and it seems BBA did a damn good job of mastering how to do it, and make an overall streetable tune that everyone could use and I do believe tow with as well. Pardon me if this comes off as rude, but i don't see you helping out the community and posting tunes for us to use at our will in our vehicles "zippy performance" Good job BBA and keep up the good work of pleasing the HP Tuners community.

-Robbie.
    I totally agree, i mean, we all have ways of tuning and no one is perfect and just because we think something its perfect it doesnt necessarily mean it is, but if im going to question some ones ability to do a tune i better have some tunes out to share so that people see what i think its the right way tune keep up the good work BBA

I might as well take this opportunity to thank BBA for his help by PM. He has been very helpful for a newbie like myself. Helped me learn some new stuff. thanks again BBA

I don't rely on luck when tuning. The 6.0L is not complicated to tune and he did not put together a fantastic tune. He changed a stock tune with limited knowledge until it made gains. Welcome to the world of tuning. As for helping people, I do this on a regular basis and have a list of results more than I care to post here.

Senior Tuner
    I don't rely on luck when tuning. The 6.0L is not complicated to tune and he did not put together a fantastic tune. He changed a stock tune with limited knowledge until it made gains. Welcome to the world of tuning. As for helping people, I do this on a regular basis and have a list of results more than I care to post here.
    So, you still live in a disillusioned world don't you?

Senior Tuner
    As for eveyone who appreciates what I have done or helped, thanks for the compliments, I won't let one jerk with an attitude change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BBA View Post
    So, you still live in a disillusioned world don't you?
    God forbid Zippy and DSteck tried to help you out. They're here to offer their help just as you are trying to help out other TBSS guys. As previously stated, these motors aren't complex machines to tune if you know what you're doing and have experience tuning more than just your daily. I will admit that the L92 (irrelevant to your LS2) is a touchy motor with timing, but they just don't need it like other LS-based motors do. It's the small things you notice and pick up on after doing 100+ cars/trucks with various setups.. That aside, maybe you should read a little more and do some research on why some of your methods are right/wrong rather than just discounting someone else's efforts to help you.

As for eveyone who appreciates what I have done or helped, thanks for the compliments, I won't let one jerk with an attitude change anything.
    You're the only jerk with an attitude here to be honest. I noticed this thread the other day and was going to post some info and help, but when people like yourself don't want to hear what's right/wrong in their tune I just don't offer any advice because no matter what we may say you wont' accept it. Knowing/seeing the work of other resident tuners on this site like Zippy/DSteck/Frost/5_Liter_Eater/etc. I'd happily stand behind and take advice from them.

Just my .02
    Last edited by jakebdb56; 08-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Exclamation

So maybe zippy was trying to help, maybe BBA's tune isn't perfect.... But this is BBA's second Trailblazer tune, and from what I have seen, is pretty widely popular to people who have a TBSS and does have the numbers to back it. With that said he may even had a third, and/or fourth to accompany it. I believe this tune was designed with the user in mind, considering different altitudes, blah blah blah, and it was stated some minor mods might be needed to make it accommodate the use correctly. I can go on forever on all of what's wrong with all this.... What I'm getting at is that if you're going to criticize something that the public enjoys, be nice about it. But then again you're reading a post from a 17 year old kid who has a hot head, and I will admit, limited experience with tuning. Instead of posting the critiquing on a forum and disgracing the work that BBA has done, I would've of PM'd him and sent a comparison file with proven results. As for the 6.0L I should've been more specific. The "L76" is a weirdo.... with Timing, and fuel, especially with a tweaked out Supercharger sitting on top like I am used to. Now If you take a look at DSteck's post, he did everything the right way, "Not giving the illusion that I'm right and you're wrong and that's that." No one is perfect, and BBA is a really nice guy, and I think that he'd appreciate the "Constructive" sort of criticism. No one here is a Perfect Tuner, but honestly I don't that there is such thing as a bad Tuner either if they have the time, patience, and the guts to purchase a VCM and even screw with the computer. Maybe this will clear things up a bit, and sorry if I added fuel to the fire.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Thank you Jake, I appreciate someone understanding my point. I am amused that someone on here called me arrogant. Arrogance to me would be to post a file on a tuning site no only as your personal file, but as a file for others to use because it's that good. I'm not saying that trying to help others isn't a good thing. I do it myself on a regular basis and on a level that I'd bet BBA isn't even close to. My picking apart his tune as some may call it was in part to get him to look at those area's as items to improve in his tune. If you're going to post your tune on a tuning site as a tune for others to use it honestly had better be damn well perfect or close to it. My point was to try to help him improve it. If it were a site for hobby tuners I could understand it. This is the HP Tuners site. Most pro tuners that truely understand everything in the software on here wouldn't have the balls to post up a tune and say that if you own this type of vehicle here is your tune. No offense is directed at BBA at all in this. I will say though for anyone to call me arrogant out of this is just plain amusing.

Senior Tuner
    Zippy, I actually listened to your advice until you were wrong on the best AFR and the trans shifting advice. DSteck pointed out your AFR error, you agreed with and listened to him then turned around and blasted me. That's a little two faced.

Besides that, no where on this site does it say it's a site for professionals only. This site is to help people learn, diagnose, improve performance and so on. It's a learning site plain and simple. In fact, the learning aspect drives HPT sales (of course, you, as a 'professional tuner' would not want to acknolwedge that aspect since you would only care about your own sales and don't want non-professionals competition in buying HPT). I can see why you would shoot down anyones tune that isn't yours or that doesn't cost money.

All in all, I didn't go into your thread blasting you, try to return the favor.

Arguing over "whose tune is better" has proven to be a pointless pissing match and I definitely don't want to start something of that sort.

My point was just to point out that people were helping you whether the criticism was harsh/blunt/right/wrong.

You're more than welcome to do whatever you please, but just remember that if you don't want anyone picking your tune apart in a thread just post it to the repository. Posting a tune in a thread recommending people to use it is just asking for commentary/judgement.

Anyways, I wish you the best man. One day long ago I was in your shoes figuring everything out with the HPTuners software. The only way you get somewhere is with experience and reading absolutely everything you can. There's a lot of half-ass old school LS1-Edit tuners out there who cut corners a bunch that aren't worth listening to (not listing names, but if you know one you'll see). Just listen to what everyone has to say and filter the bullshit and you'll figure it out.
    '20 AT4

Maybe I should post my tunes so everyone can go, "holy shit what happened here!"

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

you, as a 'professional tuner' would not want to acknolwedge that aspect since you would only care about your own sales and don't want non-professionals competition in buying HPT). I can see why you would shoot down anyones tune that isn't yours or that doesn't cost money.
    A good handful of tuners on here have posted quite a few files to the repository to help out others. I haven't been able to go through all of mine and upload each and every one, but the tunes that gave me the most headache I've posted. I do it to help out others that need a good direction just how I was about 5 years ago when I first started messing with the software.

Anyways, If you can't take criticism don't post tunes, it's plain and simple
    '20 AT4

Guys don't make me post the whole "Why Can't We Be friends" lyrics on here. The moderators will probably get pissy.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Guys don't make me post the whole "Why Can't We Be friends" lyrics on here. The moderators will probably get pissy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

'20 AT4