Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boosted 98 Cavalier LN2

Tuner in Training

Boosted 98 Cavalier LN2

I was wondering what operating systems are available for the 97 and up Cavaliers. Two bar? Three bar? I know there are people here with boosted 2200s, so I am assuming the software has greater than one bar capability. If it doesn't what are you guys doing, going to the last cells on the VE and spark tables and putting in rich AFR/conservative timing?

Thanks,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wagonwes View Post
    I was wondering what operating systems are available for the 97 and up Cavaliers. Two bar? Three bar? I know there are people here with boosted 2200s, so I am assuming the software has greater than one bar capability. If it doesn't what are you guys doing, going to the last cells on the VE and spark tables and putting in rich AFR/conservative timing?

Thanks,

Wes
    No custom OS (no 2-3 bar) systems are available. You are basically stuck with the Alpha-N.... You can, however run the LD9 SC (2bar speed density) if you do a write entire. On 2000-2002 cars, its pretty seamless. On the ore 2000 cars, you will lose most gauge functions.

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Could you please go into a little more detail on the LD9 conversion for a 98?

I am curious as to what gauges would be lost, if I can still have my speedo I wouldn't care. Although I would like to have the gas gauge too, but if I can't it's no big deal.

So if I had a two bar setup, and wanted to run 20 psi, would I just account for the extra 5 psi like I mentioned earlier?

By the way, I have seen you over on the JBody forums. Sick car. I just did the 90-94 Storm GSI trans internals swap. What do/did you have done for your trans to take almost 400 whp?

Thanks a lot,

Wes

Could you please go into a little more detail on the LD9 conversion for a 98?

I am curious as to what gauges would be lost, if I can still have my speedo I wouldn't care. Although I would like to have the gas gauge too, but if I can't it's no big deal.

So if I had a two bar setup, and wanted to run 20 psi, would I just account for the extra 5 psi like I mentioned earlier?

By the way, I have seen you over on the JBody forums. Sick car. I just did the 90-94 Storm GSI trans internals swap. What do/did you have done for your trans to take almost 400 whp?

Thanks a lot,

Wes
    I know that some people are running some '99s with it, they seem to have lost their tach, temp, and A LOT of idiot lights. I don't recall about the fuel gauge. This is all due to the lack of a BCM.

As for my tranny, so far its basically stock internals. (minus clutch)... My biggest problem was shearing the flywheel bolts doing pull on the highway... They were new bolts, loctited and properly torqued. Luckily I was able to get them all out. ARP bolts now in it(out of a Mustange 4.6).. So far, so good...

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Well, I guess that is what I will do. It will be much less frustrating then Megasquirt.

How do I trick the software/computer into thinking it is a 2.4?

Advanced Tuner
    ryan were you ever contacted by the person with the na 03 eco on here? he was looking for a good tuner I the st charles area, didn't know if you tuned them also... sorry for the thread jack, listen to imphat0260 tho, he's knowlegable lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
    ryan were you ever contacted by the person with the na 03 eco on here? he was looking for a good tuner I the st charles area, didn't know if you tuned them also... sorry for the thread jack, listen to imphat0260 tho, he's knowlegable lol.
    We are working on it in PMs....

P&P Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Good deal, he had PMd me asking but I wanted to make sure he got ahold of you.

Well, I guess that is what I will do. It will be much less frustrating then Megasquirt.

How do I trick the software/computer into thinking it is a 2.4?
    You donlt trick it. Both motors have the same sensors etc..

Is the car a manual or auto?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    You donlt trick it. Both motors have the same sensors etc..

Is the car a manual or auto?
    I know the sensors are the same, I am wondering how you make HP Tuners think your car is a 2.4 instead of a 2200.

IMPHAT said that I can use the LD9 2 bar setup if I do a "write entire". I am wondering how this is done.

I am not new to tuning, I just haven't used HP Tuners before.

And the car is a manual.

Advanced Tuner
    usually when uploading the tune to the car, you just wwrite the calibration. if you choose write entire, your writing a whole new tune to the ecu. have to do the same thing for using stage kit/gmpp tunes on cobalts and hhrs.

Tuner in Training
    usually when uploading the tune to the car, you just wwrite the calibration. if you choose write entire, your writing a whole new tune to the ecu. have to do the same thing for using stage kit/gmpp tunes on cobalts and hhrs.
    Okay, I was under the impression I had to have the LD9 SC tune flashed to my ECU first by GM or something. You are saying everything can be done in HP Tuners? If so, I should be all set.

Advanced Tuner
    yes, obviously you'll need a stock ld9 tune to flash but otherwise it seems you have everything else already bolted to your engine lol.

Tuner in Training
    Good deal then. You don't happen to know how much a flash will be and where I should get it from do you? I hope it can be done at a local GM dealership for not a TON of money.

Oh, and if I get it flashed, how much boost is it tuned for stock? So at least then I could have something driveable until I crank up the boost
    Last edited by wagonwes; 02-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    hp tuners is how you fllash, it seems yoou mmight want to do a little more research, its not realllly as simple as installling a turbo and cranking the boost. you need to learn how to adjust a ton of different things...

Tuner in Training
    hp tuners is how you fllash, it seems yoou mmight want to do a little more research, its not realllly as simple as installling a turbo and cranking the boost. you need to learn how to adjust a ton of different things...
    I am a calibration engineer, and I am extremely familiar with spark timing, AFRs, VE tuning, and the like. I have tuned a couple cars on Megasquirt.

Like I said, I am not new to tuning. I have also seen some friends cars on HP Tuners, and I know about the tuning aspect of it. I just wanted to know how I get to the step of actually tuning my car, because once I get there, I can handle the rest.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, I did a little digging on this and found something on the Jbody Forums:

Open 2 windows at one time.

one with your tune, the other with the GM 2k up charger tune.

copy and past the fuel and timing maps.

PRESTO a 99 gm SC map....

thats REFLASHED ON TO YOUR PCM....

Is this what needs to be done?

If so, I am sure I can find the base LD9 SC tune from someone on here. Also, I heard someone say that you had to swap to a 2000-2002 LD9 ECU if you have a 97-99. I am assuming that is not true, because the guy who posted the info from above said that is ALL that has to be done.

I really appreciate all of your help,

Wes

Okay, I did a little digging on this and found something on the Jbody Forums:

Open 2 windows at one time.

one with your tune, the other with the GM 2k up charger tune.

copy and past the fuel and timing maps.

PRESTO a 99 gm SC map....

thats REFLASHED ON TO YOUR PCM....

Is this what needs to be done?

If so, I am sure I can find the base LD9 SC tune from someone on here. Also, I heard someone say that you had to swap to a 2000-2002 LD9 ECU if you have a 97-99. I am assuming that is not true, because the guy who posted the info from above said that is ALL that has to be done.

I really appreciate all of your help,

Wes
    Its a little bit more involved than that. The LD9 SC file is pretty much a "fake" 2 bar tune, but it is speed density. You can't just copy/paste. You would need to adjust cordingly...

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    I know that it would not be fully tuned, but it is where I start at correct? And, does someone here have the base LD9 SC tune?

I know that it would not be fully tuned, but it is where I start at correct? And, does someone here have the base LD9 SC tune?
    Auto or manual? What size injectors?

P&P Tuning