Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e with 3000rpm converter. wont stay locked. pulsing.

The only thing they share is the case, internally its tottaly different.
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Potential Tuner
    Transgo has nothing available for the 6L80E or 6L90E at this time.

David Dolejsi
    Circle D Transmission
    Houston, Texas
    www.circleDtrans.com

Try adding the desired TCC Slip Parameter to your log. I've noticed that the G8 commands a constant 40 rpm desired slip and it appears as though the TCM is using something similar to a PID controller to maintain 40 rpm slip during lockup.

I've also noticed that by using the VCM controls in the scanner and commanding TCC lockup, the TCC Line pressure goes to a value well above 500 psi.

Unfortunately, untill we have access to the PID paramaters for the TCC line pressure controller and the desired slip tables looks like us G8 guys are stuck.

i pulled my valve body and control modual out of the tranny last week. looks like it will be pretty easy to get manual control of the line pressure and tcc. i will report back in a week or so and let you know how it went.
    2017 camaro ss a8 with low mount twins

issues are too low of actual line pressure with the hptuners tables having no effect and issues with the tcc lock up and no hptuners tables to fix that yet either. i didn't feel like waiting for hptuners to come up with a fix although i am sure they will eventualy.

there are several pins in the trans conector that do nothing. i took the ground side of the tcc noid to one of these pins. i should be able to ground that pin and get lock up when i want. for starters i will try locking it right after it shifts into 3rd while racing the local 1/8th mile. not sure of the control circuit i will use. i am thinking a spring loaded switch that will latch it on and a tap of the brakes to shut it off. then i can use it on the highway too when i want since the tripple disks have issues with lock up below 70mph.

2nd part of was to work on the line pressure. i only see 80psi at the top of 3rd and 4th. tranny slips when the power is turned up. i am told 80psi is too low but messing with the pressure tables in hptuners has no effect on actual line pressure. in order to get more line pressure i need to lower the current going thru the line pressure noid. for that to work i believe i will need to add resistance inline with the grounded side of the noid. to do that i had to cut that side of the noid and bring both leads out. for now i just have them shorted together. not sure if i will wire in a control circuit or just wire in a resistor and up the pressure a certain amount all the time. i am not an electronic expert but i am thinking i will need a resistor that has a low value and high current rating. if i knew the value of the resistor it could have been added internaly and not need any wires leaving the tranny.

next project is to get some factory pins to put in the tranny conector and start playing with them. see what effect i can have with the mods. there are lots of pics here >> http://www.neufamily.org/images/g8gallery/index.htm#41

Advanced Tuner
    all these converter problems with the a6's makes me lean towards the bottle more and more...
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04blackgmc View Post
    all these converter problems with the a6's makes me lean towards the bottle more and more...
    Only a dry kit, before the maf. You will have to do some tuning with a wet. The trans is controlled by torque. The nozzle is after the maf. The ecm cant see the extra torque to command the shift. Good luck.

i am not sure i see where a bottle has any effect on things. 600+hp is 600+hp.

you can get a single disk converter that will give you a good 60' and still lock up like stock(not at wot).

i want to be able to lock up at wot and i want to have control of my line pressure.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok guys, I am tuning a G8 with a circle D converter. Not sure if its single, or triple disk. I am gonna go ahead and say, I know very little about auto trans, and just as much about tuning them.

Now, the shop that 'tuned' the car before me left the trans tables stock (and said they tuned them). So, first, what pressure should I run on this converter? I was thinking about bumping it to ~120 psi too much, too little?

Second, we are having issues with the TCC locking up at the track. We don't want that, right? From what I have gathered in this thread we do not want it to lock at WOT? What table do i need to change to cure this? Otherwise, I think I have solutions for everything else, and thank you in advance!
    Matt

It's not so much of a problem with the converter as it is with not having access to the paramaters to correctly tune the TCM for the converter.

Tuner in Training

PI triple clutch 2800 stall NO FLARE during lockup

Im new to the forum, and have learned alot from people sharing their tunes. I have not shared anything, as I dont do well with neg remarks, but I feel I should share this.Although Im not done with my tune, I have stopped the tcc flare period.The convertor can lock at 40 or 80, and it doesnt flare. I have a PI triple clutch 2800 stall. When I first installed it , the trans would flare 300-400 rpm. My trans tune is very primative, yet shifts pretty good for a 550 RWHP A6 car.Ihave mainly worked on the TCC and shift speeds(also used the CTSV settings). The torque management is cut down,but still on. I have a harsh bump on the 2-1 downshift(not throw you through the window but annoying),which I hope to cure tomorrow.
    Bottom line, I wanted to give back to you guys for all the brain storming and kindness to help others. I will be working on this more throughout the week and ahsre the results. Im new to the trans tuning, so its one thing at a timefor me. Thanks Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam@ST View Post
    Im new to the forum, and have learned alot from people sharing their tunes. I have not shared anything, as I dont do well with neg remarks, but I feel I should share this.Although Im not done with my tune, I have stopped the tcc flare period.The convertor can lock at 40 or 80, and it doesnt flare. I have a PI triple clutch 2800 stall. When I first installed it , the trans would flare 300-400 rpm. My trans tune is very primative, yet shifts pretty good for a 550 RWHP A6 car.Ihave mainly worked on the TCC and shift speeds(also used the CTSV settings). The torque management is cut down,but still on. I have a harsh bump on the 2-1 downshift(not throw you through the window but annoying),which I hope to cure tomorrow.
    Bottom line, I wanted to give back to you guys for all the brain storming and kindness to help others. I will be working on this more throughout the week and ahsre the results. Im new to the trans tuning, so its one thing at a timefor me. Thanks Adam
    can't wait to give it a try.

check your shift torque factor multiplier for the 3-5 shift. Not sure if that was intentional.

Tuner in Training

3-5 was un-intentional

Quote Originally Posted by icicleboy View Post
    check your shift torque factor multiplier for the 3-5 shift. Not sure if that was intentional.
    That was a error. I was out tuning this at 11pm last night,after a 15 hr day. Just randomly pulling over on the freeway.Thanks for pointing that out. I already made the change this morning, but I wont get to do any more changes til tonight after work. Adam

i coppied over nearly all of that tranny tune.

on my car it still pulses. it did reduce how much i noticed it. before i was seeing 100-200rpm surges. now it is 20-70rpm surges. while cruising i think it is slipping around 20rpm all the time and then slips to 50 or so. it does this more quickly than the larger surges i had before. with your tune and my old tune above 70mph the slip goes to 0rpm.

can you try logging TCC slip below 70mph and let us know what you see? if you are seeing 20most of the time and pulses to 50 or more then it is slipping all the time and you are hurting the lock up clutch. if you are seeing 0 or very near 0(-3 to +3) then you do have it figured out but it just isn't working on my car.

i did go back to my tune, then added in just your TCC ramp rate. that was the diference. i thought it might some other odd ball setting but it wasn't. i think you just have it ramping in soo slow that it is harder to feel.

Tuner in Training
    What I did was set the trans to all stock, add the CTSV stuff, and work on the TCC ramp. Once I got the TCC better, I made the other changes.As you saw the tune is pretty light on the trans stuff. Ill try to log it here in a couple of hrs. I made another change this morning before I went to work, and fixed 80% of the harsh 2-1 downshift. Parish, do you have a datalog setup, that I can load and show you what you want to see?? Thanks Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam@ST View Post
    What I did was set the trans to all stock, add the CTSV stuff, and work on the TCC ramp. Once I got the TCC better, I made the other changes.As you saw the tune is pretty light on the trans stuff. Ill try to log it here in a couple of hrs. I made another change this morning before I went to work, and fixed 80% of the harsh 2-1 downshift. Parish, do you have a datalog setup, that I can load and show you what you want to see?? Thanks Adam
    i attached the config i have been using. i think that is what i need to send you. there are a couple of things that wont work for you but the tranny stuff should work.

i attached my latest tranny tune.

Tuner in Training

data logs attached

well I called it an early day due to a bad day. I did some datalogging on the way home, and the logs speak for themselves on the lockup. I did some light,moderate and hard throtle pulls.Now that I have the lock up part done, Im going to work on the drivability of the tune. Parish I appreciate the tune info, Ill look it over and see what works for me.Im pretty determined, so I know Ill get most of this, but help is always nice.
    Heres some data logs from tonight. Mill st to H st is alllight andmoderate driving. The Hst to home was2hard runs and normal driving.The first wot pull ended when a car cutme off. The second wot pull ended when I saw the CHP on the side of the road..look at how fast I slowed down..Was kinda funny tho.
    Ill be working on the shift feeland quality and post as I go. Adam

Tuner in Training
    Hey Parish, looking at your tune,I see some obvious stuff to help the drivability on decel. Ican increase the ct downshift time so its not so abrupt. I also made some changes since the last tune postedas well. Ill post it up.Gonna try someof your CT shift times tomorrow.