Thread: Cobalt Throttle Body Swap

Potential Tuner

Cobalt Throttle Body Swap

Ill be swaping the TB of my 2.4l cobalt with the lsj 2.0l TB. I understand that the ETC area scalar must be adjusted for this swap. Cold air intake as well. I was wondering if anyone has anyone else done this and what numbers worked best for them.

Also what are some clear signals of when i hit the right numbers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    Take the scaler off a stock LSJ cobalt tune its something like 2950... I think

Advanced Tuner
    Quick question... why are you going from a larger TB to a smaller TB? Isn't the big TB mod for the LSJ to put the 2.4TB on? So, essentially you would be reversing that.

Just curious.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Quick question... why are you going from a larger TB to a smaller TB? Isn't the big TB mod for the LSJ to put the 2.4TB on? So, essentially you would be reversing that.

Just curious.
    no. we would put an LS4 throttle body on. (which is larger)

Advanced Tuner
    Understood, thank you.

Potential Tuner
    ok i installed the throttle body with the new etc scalar. it was idling at 800 rpm's and running smoothly untill i gave it a shot of gas. i immediately got a bunch of DTC's and car was sputtering and not taking any gas. This is starting to piss me off cause it is not supposed to require a tune. Anyone have these issues or any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 100400470 View Post
    Ill be swaping the TB of my 2.4l cobalt with the lsj 2.0l TB. I understand that the ETC area scalar must be adjusted for this swap. Cold air intake as well. I was wondering if anyone has anyone else done this and what numbers worked best for them.

Also what are some clear signals of when i hit the right numbers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    First question.... WHY???

On a N/A LE5 up to a higher than stock (6,750 RPM redline), the MAP pressure done NOT drop.

So... what is your issue or goals????

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyHHR View Post
    First question.... WHY???

On a N/A LE5 up to a higher than stock (6,750 RPM redline), the MAP pressure done NOT drop.

So... what is your issue or goals????
    Why put on the bigger throttle body? more power!!! The car is not stock!! This is supposed to be an easy tune. My goal is to have this throttle body installed with no problems. As i said, the car will run for so long then start sputtering.

Is there anyone on this site who HAS done this tune???

The 2.4 TB is in fact BIGGER than the 2.0 ones.

The 2.0l LSJ TB is larger than the 2.4l LE5 TB. The LSJ TB has a diameter of 67.4mm. The LE5 TB has a diameter of 64.6. ETC Scalar areas are 2950.00 (LSJ) and 2668.00 (LE5).

Quote Originally Posted by 100400470 View Post
    ok i installed the throttle body with the new etc scalar. it was idling at 800 rpm's and running smoothly untill i gave it a shot of gas. i immediately got a bunch of DTC's and car was sputtering and not taking any gas. This is starting to piss me off cause it is not supposed to require a tune. Anyone have these issues or any thoughts?
    Hopefully you figured this out by now but...I don't think the LSJ TB is a simple plug and play. The wiring is different even though they both have an 8 pin connector. An easy fix would be the ZZP harness to run the LSJ TB on the LE5. I needed this to run the LSJ TB on my SC LE5.