Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI Tuner vs HP Tuner?

Tuner in Training

EFI Tuner vs HP Tuner?

Anyone done a comparison between the two products and analyse the advantages disadvantages of the two methods of tuning in HPT vs EFI?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The comparison is constantly changing because both products are continually moving forward, the highlights are ours is less expensive by ~$150 and ours comes with more licenses and we cover more vehicles other than that its purely preference.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Here is a comparison that was done back in the day (thanks Bill);
    LINK

But please note, as Bill said, both products are constantly changing. Your best bet is to read up on what both products have to offer, and make a decision based on what is right for you.
    Tyler

If you've already dabbled in one, you may as well stick with it. I chose HPT because I had already seen the software and watched people use it, so I was already slightly familiar.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    Here is a comparison that was done back in the day (thanks Bill);
    LINK

But please note, as Bill said, both products are constantly changing. Your best bet is to read up on what both products have to offer, and make a decision based on what is right for you.
    Yeah that comparison is at least a couple of years old so vehicle support for both has expanded as have features, just a pita to keep up with lol

Potential Tuner
    I know EFI has there COS for the nitrous users, that would be my only reason to switch, but Bill, will you guys come out with something like that or will we have to basically reproduce it with what hp tuners can do through tables?

thanks,
    Cameron

Advanced Tuner
    i own both, my efi live hasnt been used in almost 12 months now.. HPT has it all over EFI for gen 4 tuning. they are not in the same leauge...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by camscam02 View Post
    I know EFI has there COS for the nitrous users, that would be my only reason to switch, but Bill, will you guys come out with something like that or will we have to basically reproduce it with what hp tuners can do through tables?

thanks,
    Cameron
    Yeah we currently have no plans to add any new custom os's to the older gen 3 platforms, however, with that said most of our gen 3 custom os's do come with real time tuning, something that efilive doesn't offer without purchasing a 3rd party hardware device.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by camscam02 View Post

thanks,
    Cameron
    I use a relay/IAT replacement resistor that is activated with N20 solenoids. It pulls the IAT low and let's you pull timing JUST at WOT and any amount... if you have an 01-up OS, there is an IAT modifier for PE also. This means that WOT fueling with this module can be adjusted instead of re-jetting or MAF tweaking for dry. It will also let you run a dry hit with NO MAF.

This isn't a sales pitch, as I am in the open on parts, but I sell the modules with OEM IAT connectors so they plug right in and have an LED to indicate status. PM for details.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I use a relay/IAT replacement resistor that is activated with N20 solenoids. It pulls the IAT low and let's you pull timing JUST at WOT and any amount... if you have an 01-up OS, there is an IAT modifier for PE also. This means that WOT fueling with this module can be adjusted instead of re-jetting or MAF tweaking for dry. It will also let you run a dry hit with NO MAF.

This isn't a sales pitch, as I am in the open on parts, but I sell the modules with OEM IAT connectors so they plug right in and have an LED to indicate status. PM for details.
    I like that idea! very nice

2017 Silverado LTZ

Potential Tuner
    Frost, thanks for your suggestions, we are aware of the IAT stuff but no big deal right now as its a track car so I can just upload tunes quickly with the timing changes I need. Although that extra table I didnt know about and maybe using a 12 volt source we can use that to add the extra fuel when the second stage which is a dry kits activates. Something Ill have to look into. and I could run it behind the maf and just add the fuel ourselves to make it less complicated.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    Anyone done a comparison between the two products and analyse the advantages disadvantages of the two methods of tuning in HPT vs EFI?
    I find EFI has more options for early stuff...but HPT is better for Gen4 (at this stage..lol ....as Dale has stated)...That why I have both...plus you can tune more platforms with HPT.....No harm in having all available tools gives you more options.

Cheers
    Kyle

Ive been tinkering with EFILive for a while now, but have found that tuning in general has a fairly steep learning curve. I really want to work on the the driveability and idle part of my truck, that I never took the time to learn properly.

Everyone I talk with likes HP tuners better, the tuning books and DVDs seem to be HP tuner based also.

The thing that tipped the tables for me is HP Tunersactive forum, I see lots of intelligent people and people at HPT reponding. At EFILive there are a few extremely smart people and everyone else asking questions hoping the few reply. I used to come here and search out what I wanted then figure out how to use the information in EFILive.

My HPTuners hasent arrived yet, but it will soon!!!
    Last edited by SweetS10V8; 01-29-2010 at 04:19 PM.

GEN IV's HPT is easier to use hands down. The custom OS's are good in that you get a nice easy normal VE table to use. EFI LIVE does now have custom OS's and one fantastic feature is switchable tuning for the GEN IV's so you can use the dormant flex fuel tables for an alternate tune, alternate fuel, or even N20.

But what it comes down to is what your used to. If your on a budget and haven't used either HPT is certainly the way to go. EFI LIVE is more expensive up front but it can level out in some situations when custom OS's come into it as they offer them all for free. Feature wise they both will get the job done in most situations
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 01-29-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    my efilive was cheaper then HPT? by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hymey View Post

ok i'll bite, why was it so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by hymey View Post
    When you look at the GenIV and the fact that you have to buy streams for not only the ECM's, but the TCM's, the EFIL cost quickly gets out of hand.

Not only that, but let's take the 2010 SS's for example... I don't have the bank roll to buy into all of GenIV. However, after tuning enough 2010's, the credit purchases worked towards unlimited VIN. I got unlimited VIN and never came out of pocket for it. With EFI Live, my previous vehicle purchases only work to HALF of the cost of the stream. I still have to come out of pocket by thousands of dollars to get the stream, regardless of how many vehicles I single-license. Don't even get me started on Autocal either... it's the reason I bought EFI Live. If I had known what an utterly ridiculous cost they would put on them and the fact that you are bullied into basically forcing the customer to buy it, I would have never even bought the software. I was looking for a handheld that could come and go from the shop on deposit, but since they only allow them to program up to 4 vehicles, that's not possible. It's back to Tunercat and their Winflash cable for remote delivery. Too bad that I can't log using that route, but at least I'm not taking it dry on the cost.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I'm anxious to see HP Tuners release their handheld... I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I've yet to have a complaint with support or the way things are handled with HPT.

If the handheld supports 5v sensor inputs... then even better.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I'm anxious to see HP Tuners release their handheld... I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I've yet to have a complaint with support or the way things are handled with HPT.

If the handheld supports 5v sensor inputs... then even better.
    No doubt... I've been waiting for this since I saw it at SEMA in 2007..... The inputs would be a killer idea, but I doubt it would have those....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    I think it will be interesting to see how SCT deals with the GM stuff since they are starting to get into them as well. I have used the advantage 3 software on many many newer mustangs and it offers a ton of control, plus they have value files which makes your job as a tuner so much quicker if you have the experience. This is all with the ford cars though but if they do the GM stuff as well as they do Ford it's should be a very good option.

I haven't played with the GM's as of yet with SCT as I always use HPTuners for GM as that's what I have been using for years now, and for the most part it does a really good job in most applications.
    1998 Cavalier Z24 - Fully built 3800 V6 running a Precision PT67 billet ball bearing turbo. 601WHP and 511WTQ @ 18psi on 91 octane pump fuel

Raven Autosports