Thread: Is This Overkill For Me?

Is This Overkill For Me?

a buddy i work with swears by hptuner. he has a modified LS1 in a Trans Am and tells me about all control this gives him.

i have a bone stock 2010 Camaro SS and today i installed my CAI. i have Kooks LT's catted and a Corsa cat back yet to install. these are the only mods i'll be doing untill maybe someday a Maggie magically appears.

so my questions is.........do i need something this in depth for what i'm doing?

i know there's decel pop and the skip shift i'd like to tune out. also the trac control and competition mode could use adjusting......but can't this all be done with a predator?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

You would probably be better off with a tuner that you can revert back to the stock setup so you don't void your warranty. You aren't really modding enough to justify losing that.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    every modder starts by just doing intake & exhaust.

next thing you know its heads & cam.............

I guess look in the mirror and decide if you can really stop there or not before deciding
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    every modder starts by just doing intake & exhaust.

next thing you know its heads & cam.............

I guess look in the mirror and decide if you can really stop there or not before deciding
    it takes a strong will to stop with that, or a broke one. now if i could only claim to be the first.
    06 GTO M6: flowmaster 40 mufflers, x pipe, resonator removed, K&N cold air kit - sold
    08 G8 GT: flowmaster 50SUV mufflers, x pipe, resonators removed, ever changing tune, CAI sometime soon.

so if buy the $499 package.........Could I do my Camaro, maybe another Camaro and my Sierra Denali?

the whole credit things throwing me!

i'd like to play with the torque management and i do plan on a Maggie in a year or so. the tuner i plan to use is a a few hour drive and says i can save the dyno tune to reload should the dealer reflash my ECM.

i also spoke to me dealer......no issues with me playing so long as i do it safe!
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Buy the Pro, not the cheapo. You have to have a wideband to tune WOT and you really need to be able to log it without hassle.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    +1 ^^ I got the standard. Wish I would have got pro. Logging the wideband was a bit of a hassle, manageable, but a hassle. Plus the folks on this forum are priceless with their wealth of knowledge.
    02 35thSS,A4>M6, 3.73 gear, PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads,TS torquer v2 cam 232/234 .595/.598 112LSA,CAI,36lb injectors, shorty headers, gutted cats, racetronix pump w/ hotwire, HP Tuners,NGK WB through EGR, Bunch of UMI and Spohn susp. parts. All work done by me, and tuned with the help of some great people on this forum!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
    so if buy the $499 package.........Could I do my Camaro, maybe another Camaro and my Sierra Denali?

the whole credit things throwing me!
    you get 8 credits with any new interface purchase. each vehicle you listed is 2 credits so you could license those 3 and still have 2 open credits remaining.

I agree with these guys on buying the pro , I bought a standard , then bought a pro later for exactly the reason Frost mentioned - do it once
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

thanks for the info.....

i want more control and adjustability than a handheld will give me, but i still want the ability to go back stock upon command.

Tuner in Training
    If you want to go back to stock than all you need to do is save the tune and flash it back should you sell the car or take it in for maintenance. I have not heard of any issues with this before.