Thread: hitting rev. limiter before shiffting 1st & 2nd gear

Potential Tuner

hitting rev. limiter before shiffting 1st & 2nd gear

i have an ls1 with a 4l60e in a 92 silverado (short bed single cab) with a 4.10diff with 24inch wheels runnung 275/30/24 and have a problem shiffting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 gear. i hit the rev limiter before it wants to shift. gear ratio and wheel measurements are correct on tune but still have this problem. my rev limiter is at 6,300 rpm and all my shifts are at 5,800 rpm. any help would be geat thanks.

Potential Tuner
    ok. ill try getting the tune file from the shop. but i also forgot to mention that the tune was originaly from 2000 ta with 3.23 gear ratio. line presure was increased aswell and engine is all stock. thanks

Yea post the tune. Also check your trans. fluid level, I did a trans service on my car and had it 1 quart low somehow, it would hit the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift.

Potential Tuner
    Be sure your WOT mph matches your 100% tps on the part throttle table. Have you data logged the truck to see when it is commanding the shifts?
    2000 Camaro SS
    H/C -Bolt-Ons
    Stealth Mode

Potential Tuner

unexplained rev limiter when full throttle shifting

I have a 92 shortbed 4x4 with 98 ls1 and 4l60e and had the same problem. Everyone pointed me in the same directions but nothing changed. I finally did some speedo setting comparisons with stock 98 tunes and noticed my Final drive ratio and/or my rev-trans was way off. I entered what a stock 98 camaro tune had and 'whala' it shifted perfect. I had asked people for about a year and put with it. Just thinking about it and comparing fixed it. Buying the hptuner program was worth it just for that!

The shift speed is off, log it, notice the mph where it hits the limiter and make the need adjustments.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the help guys. Sorry i have'nt responded, my computer crashed. I went back and the guy did some more tunning and now the truck is slipping into 2nd gear and it wont want to shift untill it hits like 30mph in 1st. On down shift fom 3rd to 2nd it will hit the rev-limiter in a split second. Also Sometimes it wont go anywhere when you go back on the gas after letting off to make it shift into 2nd gear. I really dont think its my trans. But i will post the tune as soon as possible. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    the mph vs rpm is probally not being met. Im sure that with 24/26 inch tires and rims arnt making the final drive ratio off causing is to read off. post a copy of the tune buddy

Hi, I have an 08 C6 with twin turbos and 3.15 rear diff. Every thing is great in drive in comp mode, but I would like to tune more response in to my padles. Can any one help?

P.S. for Adrian, when I got my tune from the gear guy the WOT speed and rpm settings were to high and the car took for ever to shift while banging the rev limiter, so I double check your final drive numbers and start reducing your speed and rpm settings a little at a time.
    Last edited by Fast7; 02-01-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for all the info guys but besides the fact that my tune is off, my trans just took a crap. i lost 2nd gear so im just going to focus on that first. im not sure what caused it to go out but maybe it was already going bad. please keep in touch to inform you guys if it was a trans problem all along or a bad tune. thanks

Tuner in Training
    Tranny problem is band is probally scorched or servo is hung up. If either was a problem was before then that may have been the problem. Also when you have a stock tune i think the rule of thumb is when you increase the wide open rpm then you have to increase the mph by 2 mph per 100 rpm increments. I.E every 1000 rpms 20 mph..100x10 = 1000 and 10 x 2= 20 mph. there is a window of them both that have to be met in order to shift.. Correct me if im wrong and i hope it help.. Im hell with a transmission and learing tuning lol!

Tuner in Training
    Adrian i also just read ur post above about it slipping after you let it shift into 2nd. Man i hate to tell you but band my friend

Potential Tuner
    ok this is the tune that my truck is running on with a fresh stock rebuilt trans. 1st to 2nd shift will hit the rev limiter and will try to shift at around 40mph and 3rd to 4th will also hit the rev limiter. please any advise would be helpful. thanks

Potential Tuner
    also i forgot to mention that i tryed to run a stock tune from a 05 silverado and that ran worst.

Senior Tuner
    I would change all your tables to read the same. I attached three for example. Use this as a start. Having everything the same seems to make my tranny work well and shift right on the money. These along with your 5600 rpm shift should keep you off the limiter. Unless you have another problem or an aftermarket converter.

Potential Tuner
    thanks man ill give it a shot as soon as possible.

Senior Tuner
    I reviewed one of my logs. My rpm will rise about 2 mph after shift is commanded. If your tranny does the same then for starters I would change the 2-3 to about 70 mph and the 3-4 to about 117 in all tables. This may be a little low from your 5600 desired but you can adjust after you test. The 3-2 down shift to about 68 also.