Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing WOT Tuning Tests Runs....

I would never run 40 degree's timing while in WOT. I would think u would never want anymore than 30 degree's most of time 26-28 degree's at WOT. I also set my PE tables at 1.13 and leave it alone most of the time. I also run OLSD.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

I'm the same way when tuning I set the PE to the same thing all the way across that way your commanding the same AFR the entire RPM range so the wideband isn't chasing different commanded AFR's the whole time. Once I get tables in line I'll usually command 12.7afr at peak torque RPM's instead of 13.0.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I'm the same way when tuning I set the PE to the same thing all the way across that way your commanding the same AFR the entire RPM range so the wideband isn't chasing different commanded AFR's the whole time. Once I get tables in line I'll usually command 12.7afr at peak torque RPM's instead of 13.0.
    So do u set one cell in PE or several at 12.7?
    LSx what track do u race at in Ky?

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Advanced Tuner
    Which heads are you running 243, 241, 853? Your VE table is whacked man, reload the stock ve table and timing. You're friend is a mechanic and far from an LSx tuner, please do not go to him for advice. If you are running 243 heads look into loading the 04 ZO6 timing tables. The stock 2000 Camaro timing tables seem to be fairly agressive for 241 / 853 heads. You are running the stock cam with 1.8 rockers and ported heads correct? Knock is hard to hear on these cars, and when you can actually hear it, it is very severe. Your VE table is supposed to represent the airflow requirements of your engine, does your VE table look anything similar to how air flows?
    Last edited by Nitroused383; 01-10-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if you replaced the knock sensors? I know the tune needs work. I'd make sure they were good or new also, if they aren't already new. Just to make sure they don't skew the knock as well. My 98 was having all sorts of fits, till I replaced them. Mine had the updated harness already too.
    98 TA
    06 1500hd cc 4x

Yes they are the stock heads that I rebuilt. As for the knock, I desensitized the knock sensors very slightly in the tip in and now I have 0 knock retard, it seemed like the immediate change in throttle was making them pick something up. I have since that log fixed my timming, its almost stock but running around 27 28 29 in the power range as I had a recommendation of this on the post, the table I have now works great. Also, I have logged AFR and % error in hpt now and I have the PE set at 12.8 commanded (ik its actually a ratio I'm just translating it to AFR). The VE is a little spikey but when I click smooth once it evens out, I am looking into why and its simply because I am not hitting all of the cells in the VE table when scanning, so you have to account for the cells not hit its obviously not going to jump from 96 to 80 to 96 again so I am using some common sense and fixing those areas. My MAF curve is much smoother that it used to be after some scanning and tuning, I am concerned about the 2nd gear run from 2k to 6.4k and I have a straight line of 12.8 actual now on those scans running just off the MAF so I think I have it set pretty well. What is interesting is it follows the factory MAF values in an exponential curve just amplified in the amount that is flowing, so I thought that was pretty interesting.

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I will be taking it to the track now to make sure everything stays within 12.8 from 1st into and through 2nd (1/8 mile).
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    So do u set one cell in PE or several at 12.7?
    LSx what track do u race at in Ky?
    Really depends on the setup. Usually a stock cam car has a peak torque of around 43-4600rpm but usually carrys it out to around 5krpm. To determine the places I enrich the fuel I go off my VE table to see where it peaks. My x3 cam TA I have it in the 4800-5200 cells at 1.16 eq and in the 4400 cell I had it at 1.14 just to smooth the transition a little. Once above peak torque I don't lean it back out to 1.13/13.0 eq/afr either. I usually leave it commanding 1.14-1.15 on out. Some cars like a really rich mixture in the high rpms though so it's really app specific.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400