Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBDII cable

OBDII cable

Trying to find a right angle OBDII cable with the HPTuners style 15 pin connector. I need to run the cable so it does not hang down and rub on my legs.

The ones available have a different pin configuration from the HPtuners version.

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...db15m-6ft.html
    http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...b9m-4-5ft.html

At the least I need the pin out configuration so I can adapt a right angle cable to the HPTuners 15 pin connector.
    http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...-open-6ft.html
    Last edited by wstaab; 12-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.

This would be a GREAT idea.
    05 CTS-V l LS6 l Maggie l Magnaflow Cat-back l Meth l 439rwhp/414rwtq

Advanced Tuner
    my cars dont bother me but my 01 2500 hd the cable is as you described - right on my legs

good suggestion
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Isn't OBDII a standard and thus a standardized cable configuration?

All of the normal OBDII cables are the 'J1962' variety. I would think any of the J1962 to DB9 cables would work just fine. Or just get one of the extension cables with a male to female J1962 and hook your existing HPT cable to it....

I would be very interested in this so I could run my Aeroforce Inteceptor Scan Gauge with HP Tuners at the same time, although the data rate might make both devices slow down. That website reference has pass through and splitter cables. Hmm...
    Last edited by csementuh; 12-23-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
    Isn't OBDII a standard and thus a standardized cable configuration?
    All of the normal OBDII cables are the 'J1962' variety. I would think any of the J1962 to DB9 cables would work just fine.
    The problem is not the connector for the OBDII vehicle port but the 15 pin HPTuners MVPI connection. It is not a standard 15 pin connector. A 9 pin will not work.

Hate to bump such an old thread.. I was wondering if anyone ever tried one of the splitter cables? I was reading that some devices can tie up the OBDII bus and that even with a splitter two devices at once may not work. I reall want to use a splitter to run my Interceptor gauge and HPT Scanner at the same time. I think it *might* work as the Aeroforce gauge should only read parameters off the bus, but the problem may be that HPT uses a bidirectional communication with the bus and may cause an error on one or both devices. Anyone have any ideas?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As far as I know it won't work.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

^ Bill, thanks for the response. Do you happen to know why you think it won't work? Is it due to HP Tuners using a special cable, or due to HP Tuners utilizing all of the available OBDII bus?

I have read that it should work with with a vehicle that utilizes a real OBDII bus such as CAN. I have an 07' Cobalt SS/SC which is not CAN, but I do not know which OBDII protocol it uses. This cable may work with 2008 or newer vehicles since a scan gauge is just picking up paramters off the cable. I know the splitter will work with other tuning solutions I have seen on foreign cars, but that is entirely different.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Due to the bus's signal can't be split from my understanding. Pretty sure cobalts use 2 different protocols.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Well thanks for the information anyways!

Advanced Tuner
    You guys need to think the other way. ADD a ODBII port where you want it, then plug into that.

it is best not to relocate the existing OBDII port since it needs to be there for diagnostics done at the dealer, emission testing, stuff like that. However, you can ADD to that port wiring and have a 2nd connector like in the center console, or passenger side floor area.

For OBDII up to 2003, all you need is 4 wires. Pins 2,4,5,16 ... Pin 2 is data, 4 and 5 are grounds, and both must be there, 16 is all time power.

For OBDII 2004 and newer, there is some GMLAN involved in some models and you will need the additional wires for this, and then CAN came into the picture also.

The OBDII connectors are available on ebay, from me ( $15 includes shipping ), several places. Here is what it looks like from a ebay ad > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-02...Q5fAccessories

If you really have a problem with where the cable hangs get an "L" shaped piece of metal. Unbolt the OBDII connector put the L in its place now turn the OBDII connector 90degrees so it will face the direction you want and connect it to the other end of the L. Now it is out of your way.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Senior Tuner
    You could just buy a short extension harness like this one:

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...1962f-2ft.html
    Jaime

Well.. I happened to win a OBDII splitter cable for cheap on eBay, so I guess I'll be trying out my Interceptor and HPT at the same time when I get it...

In case anyone cares... The OBDII splitter cable works while scanning with both an Aeroforce Interceptor and HP Tuners. The splitter cable however does not work when trying to write a config. The solution is easy however, as you can easily unplug the Interceptor, write the tune, and then plug it back in. Overall I am satisfied with it. It makes it much easier to drive and watch the scan gauge instead of trying to unsafely glance at a laptop screen.

Tuner in Training
    In case anyone cares... The OBDII splitter cable works while scanning with both an Aeroforce Interceptor and HP Tuners. The splitter cable however does not work when trying to write a config. The solution is easy however, as you can easily unplug the Interceptor, write the tune, and then plug it back in. Overall I am satisfied with it. It makes it much easier to drive and watch the scan gauge instead of trying to unsafely glance at a laptop screen.
    I'm about to do the same thing here. I need to add EGT monitoring to the Aeroforce but want to datalog using HPT at the same time so that i don't have to wire up two gauges. When you did this, was the vehicle CAN or an older protocol?

2007 Cobalt SS, so straight OBDII, no CAN.

Adding another interface may slow the data rate down too much, but you can certainly try. The splitter will only work for reading, and not writing. The HPT box won't even find the PCM to do a write unless it is plugged straight in. Not sure about CAN. CAN is supposed to be faster, and this may work differently? Good luck!

:: 07' Sport Red Cobalt SS/SC-TVS --> 08' Raven Black Cadillac CTS 3.6DI AWD --> 11' Summit White Chevy Avalance 1500 LT Z71 ::
    :: CDS Arms, LLC :: Class 3 Dealer :: FFL7 / SOT2 :: www.cdsarms.com :: [email protected] :: www.facebook.com/CDSArms ::

Tuner in Training
    2007 Cobalt SS, so straight OBDII, no CAN.

Adding another interface may slow the data rate down too much, but you can certainly try. The splitter will only work for reading, and not writing. The HPT box won't even find the PCM to do a write unless it is plugged straight in. Not sure about CAN. CAN is supposed to be faster, and this may work differently? Good luck!
    Thanks. The research that I've done so far is split 50/50 on whether or not it will work on CAN. I'll continue to poke around in the meantime and work on a backup plan.

Just to add some date both a 98 pontiac Bonneville and an 2003 Grandprix will allow you to read and write with the y-cable connected, they both use the came pcm. I was able to do this as I had a ultragauge hooked up.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

thread from the grave (twice apparently), in searching I don't see where if we need to completely replace the HPT MPVI cable there is a place that sells them? Mine is damaged. That OBDII cable site sells a 15 pin, but it is only a 2 row (link). My cable is 3 rows of 5 pins (the MPVI end of things). The OBDII head has superchips on it but I still suspect HPT buys these by the lot as standard J1962 and then puts their own ends own. Help? Where can I at the very least buy a new 15pin head that matches. Preferably the complete unit?
    2K ECSB 4WD 1500 Silvy 6.0L(swapped), 2600 Suncoast TC, TransTech4L80E, '02 PCM upgrade,Patriot Stg 2 Heads,TVS1900(2.8 Pulley),custom 224/228 568/571 114+4,meth inject to wet a 75 shot of nitrous,dynatech hdrs,gutted cats,4.1 gears w/Eaton LSP,HPT-EIO,DynoJet WB, and tuned by the seat of my pants.
    12.22 @ 110.75 blower/meth/110 (76*) (radix)
    11.66 @ 115.95 bower/meth/110/50shot (45*) (radix)
    11.35 @ 117.35 blower/meth/110/75shot (45*) (radix)