Thread: Custom car with 97 regal L67. Starts and dies after 3seconds

Tuner in Training

Custom car with 97 regal L67. Starts and dies after 3seconds

Hey guys,

Hoping someone could have a quick peek at my file and see if I am missing something obvious. I have a custom rwd car that uses the engine/pcm from a 97 buick regal GS. SeriesII L67. It starts, and then shuts off always after 3 seconds or so. Even if I rev it. Mechanicals seem good. Injector signal dies the instant the car shuts off. Sure seems like a VATS problem to me. I have set the VATS to PWM and the codes to be ignored as per
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12399

Unfortionatly my log didn't work and I ran out of time to try again. I will log it tommorow if no help and have a close look at MAF signals etc. Only codes are for cooling fan relay and pitch sensor. Ive seen VATS work before and it sure looks like it is what is shutting the engine off.

Thanks for any help.
    Cory

PS: those things sound surprisingly nasty with open headers

Senior Tuner
    It appears you did what was required. Something else to check is the 97 model used a resistor to cut voltage to the fuel pump. Full voltage is given when the key is turn forward, then run through the resistor to cut voltage. I believe full voltage is re-enabled after a certain tps. Anyway, if this resistor is bad or not installed the moment you get a run signal the fuel pump shuts off. Something to check for.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks.

There is no resistor and I have my pump set to run at full speed all the time off the fuel pump relay control (not the high low/relay). Pump is still running when it dies.

Also realized I don't think I will get a log from it because it loses connection when cranking, and takes a couple seconds to reconnect.

Should mention the car is converted to a RWD camaro T5 trans.

Thanks again. Late for a dinner so I cant play anymore tonight....

Senior Tuner
    my only other suggestion is to try and write entire, not just write calibration. Have had to do this for vats problems myself. Good luck.

Tuner in Training
    My 97 Lumina PCM freaks out if I try to disable VATs.

And yes, it sure sounds like VATS to me.
    2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL AWD
    LX9 Swapped

Tuner in Training
    I tried a write entire, same thing. I managed to get a bit of a log which is attached. That was cranking,running and dying with no throttle. Throttle will make it rev until it shuts off (same amount of time).

My new cable has a bad connection where the USB cable goes into the box so I won't be able to do much until that it fixed (bugger). Certainly no more writing anyhow.

The other tread says to email support regarding VATS so that's what I will try now.
    Thanks.

Tuner
    Sounds like your building a Super Stalker. If this is correct I can send you my latest tune and you can go form there. Should get you pretty close.
    Scott in San Diego with a L-67 Super Stalker.
    Mods in the next month or so, yeah its a moving target!
    Gen 5 blower, N* throttle body, LQ4 MAF,3.4 pulley for starters.

Tuner in Training
    Same engine/trans as the Super Stalker. Same as the Stalker it is (loosely) based on the Seven but this one is my design. I hope it works

I would love to see your tune. Can email it to [email protected] if you like. Also feel free to send a pic or link to your car.

Thanks,
    Cory

Tuner
    Tune sent, car not picture worthy just yet............Many bugs to be worked out but am down to the short list. Hope to paint soon!
    Scott in San Diego with a L-67 Super Stalker.
    Mods in the next month or so, yeah its a moving target!
    Gen 5 blower, N* throttle body, LQ4 MAF,3.4 pulley for starters.

Tuner
    This might sound dumb but. My MAP died on my GTP, and it exhibited the EXACT same problems as the Resistor frying does. I did the hard wire trick from the fuse box and the same thing.

Like I said it turned out it was the MAP. Try unplugging your MAP.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it runs on speed density
    99 Regal- CT PT 61 turbo, IC, 65# injectors, 1.9s, LT1 MAF, Custom built Trans, 3000 stall converter, 11.84 @ 117 1.81 60'

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the delayed response. Life has been stupid lately. Only reason I have time now is because I'm sick at home.

I had a hardware problem with my mpvi which was dealt with professionally/quickly by HPtuners. While it was away being repaired I had to go on to other things and the car is no longer in a state to run. I think what I will do first is put the OEM tune back in with only the VATS disabled and see what happens there. I made a bunch of changes which make sense to me, but maybe one was incorrect. After that I will try your suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks for the tune Scott. It's interesting to see the differences. If you feel like it, it would be nice to see your OEM tune as well. Looks like there was a different idea on how to do things between yours and mine. Keep me posted how the stalker is coming along as well.

Cheers,
    Cory