Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 63 - 99 in 4.97 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    Was this recently?
    A lil over a year ago, so pretty recent. Im 28 now. (just for age reference)

Sucks ass man!! Never thought I would say goodbye to my dad so young!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Yes it has the pill mod, only bolt on parts are a catless DP. Stock air filter, just snorkel removed. None the less, car did it under 4.9 sec's.
    Man you guys have dense air up there if you were able to pull 34lbs/min through the stock airfilter. Mine has never been able to pull more than 31 lbs/min through the stock filter.

But you seem to be able to run leaner with more timing down there LOL. So it's a trade off really! Getting similar results just different ways of getting there

Advanced Tuner
    But you seem to be able to run leaner with more timing down there LOL. So it's a trade off really! Getting similar results just different ways of getting there
    Yeah. The air down here stinks right now. I did a log a week ago 60-100 4.86 seconds. It was 62* and low humidity that day. Yesterday 84* 80% humidity same tune and the same stretch of road 5.26 seconds. Lots of variables unfortunately. I know you found your car faster on those intake cam warm settings mine so far has proven slower with those intake cam settings. I dunno. Come down to Florida and we will race. No pill though or I will put my MBC back on.

LOL! I honestly don't feel I have AS strong of a non-pill tune. Everyone wants the pill anymore, havent tuned a car without it in awhile lol.

I was thinking about pulling it for the winter and working on a non-pill tune some more, maybe I will. See if Im still under 5 without it.

EDIT: Wow this got really long, and has little purpose.

This isn’t directed at you BYT really, just kinda wanted to dog pile for no good reason. I've posted rants like this before on a million different forums.

First off a little about me. If anyone gets bored or wants to make sure I'm not lying, you can check my creds. I used to be very active in the Honda ECU hacking. We always shared our development with each other on the PGMFI.org community. I can tell you from spending many sleepless nights (at my own choice) reverse engineering obsolete OKI 66k assembly code, its a hell of a lot harder than moving a mouse around in VCM Editor.

I also did quite a bit of work on the HKS VPC (if anyone here knows what that is anymore) which I shared with the world.

Hacking this stuff and being a good tuner are two different things though. Like all things in life the art of theory & science is often divorced from implementation.

Obviously I'm no LNF tuning "expert", and I live in the arctic circle... which means I get to drive my play cars like 4 hours of the year. I could keep driving it I guess, but I really hate salt + brine on anything I cherish. Particularly I hate corrosive materials on things I'm paying 3 more years on

My point being, ... you'd never get pushback from ME on posting tunes/full logs and I’ve done it a few times testing stuff out. I make my living (and a decent one I don't mind telling anyone) implementing large storage arrays and things of that. I don't go around town trying to peddle tunes or anything automotive related. This is a hobby, and the minute money comes into play... it’s not a hobby anymore.

I realize that some of you do make a living from this stuff or side money, and more power to you.

BYT, having been in the position a few times... it’s quite the dilemma. Most people on forums are literally just tune beggars. I personally am fine with data logs and theoretical discussion on tuning these cars. I just like to listen more than anything and do my own thing. Tune begging really does bother me though, and I ignore those people.

I guess what I'm saying is: don't be too bitter with folks. I think we all know who tends to contribute around here, and frankly if my car is .4 seconds slower than Terminator2’s or yours…. Fuckit. I have way more important things going on in my life. Like I said, I also like data logs too.... data acquisition is a hobby of mine in general (my grandfather owns an electronics R&D firm that specializes in data aq. and flight simulator technology, so its in my blood). Not because I'm trying to steal someone’s ideas, it just really interests me. That’s why I did so much work on Mitsubishi data logging applications when I had a DSM

I'm here and on other forums to learn what I can, and teach when I can (which is rarely these days). There are a lot of solid gold nuggets posted on this forum really for tuning these cars and I'm thankful.

My question to you BYT is... what level of info sharing would you LIKE to see?

From a car I tuned, Catless DP is the only mod.

Im not posting anything from my own car anymore... At least not until someone else posts their own stuff. Im done comparing my actual logs with what someone says their car does...

Get a room you two.

On a serious note, if you guys really want to see whose tune puts down the numbers, I'll guinea pig my car and when I take the MR2 to the dyno after Christmas I'll run the Sky as well. Stock kappa, one pill tune and one non pill tune from each. The air is cool and dense in Texas right now and I'm a third party so no one can bitch :P

I typically measure my performance gains as 70-100mph runs. 70 mph is what I'm at when shifting at the top of second. I have pretty much a test track next to my house and just do quick 1-2-3 pulls until rev limiter hits in 3rd (6800rpm right now)

My best 70-100mph pull right now is 4.922 seconds, which I should mention was on an on-ramp with a slight incline. So obviously I have some room for improvment there, but my 91 octane fuel is crippling my (the tuning ability I have on this car anyway) of advancing my timing much further.

Airflow wise, I really dont know how much more I can ask of the car. Showing high 34/low 35 lb/min on my pulls currently.

http://www.ecimulti.org/scratch/HPTu...-100_4.922.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    LOL! I honestly don't feel I have AS strong of a non-pill tune. Everyone wants the pill anymore, havent tuned a car without it in awhile lol.

I was thinking about pulling it for the winter and working on a non-pill tune some more, maybe I will. See if Im still under 5 without it.
    Only one way to find out. I still wish that cold dense air you guys have up there except for the snow LOL.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
    Get a room you two.

On a serious note, if you guys really want to see whose tune puts down the numbers, I'll guinea pig my car and when I take the MR2 to the dyno after Christmas I'll run the Sky as well. Stock kappa, one pill tune and one non pill tune from each. The air is cool and dense in Texas right now and I'm a third party so no one can bitch :P
    I am broke has already tested BYT's tune and mine in his car. Not on a dyno but on the street.

I don't usually count my runs on the roll, but here is a 60-97mph in 4.555. You can see I wavered a bit on the throttle at the end because I thought I saw a cop heh. Broke loose pretty well on the punch there as you can see by the RPM and VSS irregularitys. Ever since I put a mans clutch in this car it spins them in 3rd a lot more.

http://www.ecimulti.org/scratch/HPTu...0-97_4.555.jpg

and heres my shitty tune. Same thing I was running in those pulls except I've started to lean out my PE after exchanging notes with Iam Broke awhile back.

http://www.ecimulti.org/scratch/HPTu...unes/Tune8.hpt
    Last edited by Gimpster; 12-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    I am broke has already tested BYT's tune and mine in his car. Not on a dyno but on the street.
    People can argue about street numbers, it's pretty tough to argue the same dyno back to back. It is either that or a drag race :P

And that wasnt my tune either... It was a tune I tweaked for him that he modified and ran on his car. I know his car knocks like mad, so he couldnt possibly run the tune I run on my own car, or others cars for that matter! His is a freak of nature! So I went very casual on it. He never sent a log or anything over to tweak it. Stop bringing this up, its a non point dude... I just showed you a log of a car with less mods going faster, what else do you want??

Advanced Tuner
    And that wasnt my tune either... It was a tune I tweaked for him that he modified and ran on his car. I know his car knocks like mad, so he couldnt possibly run the tune I run on my own car, or others cars for that matter! His is a freak of nature! So I went very casual on it. He never sent a log or anything over to tweak it. Stop bringing this up, its a non point dude... I just showed you a log of a car with less mods going faster, what else do you want??
    He cannot run my tune either because his car knocks even on 14* of timing. He is the only car I know of who has run both my tune and your tune (versions of them anyway) that is why I use him as an example. His car is faster on the stock intake cam table just like my car is. I have verified that the dyno says there is about 5-6 whp gained up top by advancing the intake cam but the fact of the matter is that it runs slower on the street where it really counts. Dynos do lie. You want a great example. Take my car for instance. Someone else originally dyno tuned my car when I first got it. The car made 343 whp 360 wrtq on the dyno but it felt slow as crap on the street. I came to find out that the car was knocking 6-7* in 2nd gear on the street and it was slow as hell. It was running super rich as well. That was when I decided to tune my car myself. Dynos do lie acceleration times do not. Dynos do not replicate real world loads.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
    People can argue about street numbers, it's pretty tough to argue the same dyno back to back. It is either that or a drag race :P
    Drag race in this case would be mostly driver skill and I am not that great of a driver.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, Now that my laptop got messed up and lost all my hpt stuff except whats on my mediafile link that i put here. Byt your gonna have alot of logs coming your way soon now that my wifes out of school. Now i can have the laptop. you guys can compare stuff on my hhr if youd like. I wont put the pill back on my car, cant afford a clutch lol. I need to look at my logs and compare them. I wish there was a way to take a few logs and overlap them.

What part of Florida are you in Terminator2? Im in Panama City.

2008 HHR SS 5-speed

HP-Tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    What part of Florida are you in Terminator2? Im in Panama City.
    1 hour North of Tampa.

My car is a toad, I know it. I might try a new WB O2 sensor just to see if it makes any difference, but that'll be a while.

Haven't had a chance to log the latest timing maps. Maybe next week when the wife comes home from the hospital and I get back to work.. Surgery is today to put her ankle back together.

You guys play nice, k?
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

The WB02 in my car at 23k on the clock, was TOAST! I replaced it and the idle and cruise smoothed right out nicely!! I then changed plugs again and went to .030 on the gap and just wow. The car purrs at idle now!!! Its actually quiet LOL!

Seems like 20K for WB02 and 10K for plugs. Anyone else finding similar??

Edit: We're playing nice now We have these lil spats LOL!