Thread: Injector Balance Rates Help

Potential Tuner

Injector Balance Rates Help

Could anyone give me a bit of a quick rundown of the best way to check injector balance rates? I've run through every thread I can find trying stuff, but I cannot seem to get the PID supported no matter what I do, so I must be doing something wrong.

Oh, and it's on a mostly stock 2005 Silverado 2500HD LLY/Allison.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, I'm new to diesel tuning and I haven't used my HPTuners for a gas engine in so many years that I'm beyond rusty to the point of not remembering anything.

Tom

Potential Tuner
    Nevermind, I got it to work. Man it has been too long...

Tom

Tuner in Training
    ok, Can someone steer me in the right direction. I rarely check balance rates with this program. I see the option in the scan tool but i can't get the item to work. Says bad PID or something.

Tuner in Training
    u00bse1 - did you find out how? I too will be trying to do this.
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges

Tuner in Training

Scanning Balance Rates

Open VCM Scanner, go to the Table Display, right click and insert, go to Fuel System, injectors, choose Balance Fuel Rate Cyl 1. Do again for the other 7 cylinders. Open gauge display, right click Add gauge or meter. Do that 7 more times. Right click on each gauge or meter, select properties, select the same PIDs you entered in Table Display. Your gauge or meter should read from -7 to +7. You can put an upper and lower alert from -5 to -7 and +5 to +7 for a Duramax. Good luck!
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Dashman, I'll give it a go.
    Roy

- PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls

Tuner in Training
    I did this today and it seems to me that the injectors are all over the place. Here is what I got and keep in mind that these numbers are kind of the running average. Some fluctuated quite a bit and others remained fairly steady.

#1 -4.5 and -1.0
    #2 -3.2 and -2.5
    #3 +2.5 and +1.5
    #4 +0.1 and +0.2
    #5 +1.5 and -0.2
    #6 +3.1 and +3.3
    #7 - 2.2 and -2.0
    #8 +2.2 and +1.0

I think I read somewhere that -1 to +1 was ideal but anywhere from -4 to +4 was acceptable. The second readings were after I revved it up for a minute or so and seemed to be steadier than the initial ones. #1 has me kind of worried.

What do you guys think of these numbers? I do have a intermittent surge/miss at idle at a stop light and thought this might give a clue. My schrader valve is also wet which apparently might also lead to the surging.
    Last edited by roy67ss; 03-18-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Roy

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
    Open VCM Scanner, go to the Table Display, right click and insert, go to Fuel System, injectors, choose Balance Fuel Rate Cyl 1. Do again for the other 7 cylinders. Open gauge display, right click Add gauge or meter. Do that 7 more times. Right click on each gauge or meter, select properties, select the same PIDs you entered in Table Display. Your gauge or meter should read from -7 to +7. You can put an upper and lower alert from -5 to -7 and +5 to +7 for a Duramax. Good luck!

I tried to do this today and when i go to fuel system there is no injector menu to choose from. I even uninstalled and reinstalled still nothing. I also told it to forget last vehicle connected still nothing. Anyone know why I could not see this info? I have version 2.22. Is there a new one, this version is from 2008 and is the newest one to download from customer center. I'm I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    I don't know, but it stores the PIDs for the last vehicle scanned. Maybe you need to be plugged in and at least "connect" to the vehicle. I have only ever scanned my one vehicle, so I'm not sure what needs to be done when going from one to another. I did the balance rate check with version 2.22. It is the latest official release. You sure you're opening the scanner and not the editor?
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Tuner in Training
    Dashman is right, I went thru this same ordeal a while ago. I re-read entire and all was well again.
    Roy