Thread: Water Temp How To?

Tuner

Water Temp How To?

I need to log Intercooler Water Temp along side of IAT for a new product. What do I need for a temp sender? I have a wide band so I could use that for a 5v supply? I would guess a 2 wire sender, is there a setup already provided for a separate coolant temp sender?

Advanced Tuner
    temp senders are different as they are a variable resistor, you could try it like the way i do on the data loggers..

1k resistor accross the 5v supply and the input channel, then hook the input channel and the earth to the sensor like drawn below

then use these numbers for the config

Tuner
    Yes I still need a solution to this. Thank You I will look into that. We are having custom gauges made for customers and I requested 1 with output for HPT but have not heard anything. This would be great if I could make it work

Advanced Tuner
    well if you put those numbers in it will work as thats how i connect them to my data loggers using a standard 0-5v Input

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    well if you put those numbers in it will work as thats how i connect them to my data loggers using a standard 0-5v Input
    I’ not sure I understand are you saying example use my wide band for the 5V and just use the diagram to run wires to HPT EIO?
    I thought HPT Support would have commented by now.

Advanced Tuner
    yes that is correct..

Tuner
    DOH! Thanks that sounded to simple for HPT.
    We are swamped finalizing production now, Chris our Engineer has been hospitalized with Leukemia. I have had to resort to trial and error. Our plans for a complicated adapter never were finalized for CNC. Each time I make one by hand I find a new problem. I hope to be working on final model now. This part of testing has been pushed back but I will try this first chance.
    Last edited by TrekGTO; 12-13-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    you could also check your pcm pinout for the transmission temp sender and then wire a new temp sensor to those wires--then log transmission temp to get your intercooler temp.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by miker2 View Post
    you could also check your pcm pinout for the transmission temp sender and then wire a new temp sensor to those wires--then log transmission temp to get your intercooler temp.
    Oh that would be slick I wonder if my car has trans temp? 05 GTO 6sp

Advanced Tuner
    no manual trans E40's do not have temp sensor. only auto's and im sure it was in the TCM