Thread: Trans learn adapts A6 G8

Potential Tuner

Trans learn adapts A6 G8

Hi just wondering if anyone has done the trans learn and fast learn adapts with the VCM controls in the scanner on th A6? its in a GM holden ute basically a G8. Just had trans rebuilt and need to do this so it can run through all the clutch clearances and pressures etc to set itself up. When you connect and bring it up it is in black bold but when you click on it seems like does nothing and it doesn't light up? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Anthony.

I dont think the VCM controls have the ability to do the trans fast learn adapts yet. You need to use a Tech 2
    VE Calais V 6.0L L98 V8 6L80E

Potential Tuner
    Doesn't it? I got the update on Friday and when your hooked up its there and in bold like its right to work and available but when click on it it doesn't seem to do anything?? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmanvell82 View Post
    Hi just wondering if anyone has done the trans learn and fast learn adapts with the VCM controls in the scanner on th A6? its in a GM holden ute basically a G8. Just had trans rebuilt and need to do this so it can run through all the clutch clearances and pressures etc to set itself up. When you connect and bring it up it is in black bold but when you click on it seems like does nothing and it doesn't light up? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Anthony.
    Where are you down under?

They do nothing mate. A few of the guys on the forum, who live in the States and have access to Tech 2, have mentioned what happens when you do a "Fast Learn". Bascially...you'd know when it happens cause it goes crazy and scares the you know what out of you. I've tried a Fast Learn and nothing happens when using the scaner? Like it has already been said, I think you'll need access to a Tech 2.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah i'm in Aust. Yeah i know its meant go through all the clutch sequences and rev up and carry on so thats why knew it wasn't working but the trans place that built it uses HPT so he's been talking with our part of HPT here to try and sort out wat to do?

Oh cool...keep everyone posted as to what you find out mate

Advanced Tuner
    While I Dont Know If They Do The Same Thing As Say The Tech Ii They Definately Do Something As When I Clear Them In My Car It Cleared Up The Flare Shift Issues I Was Having.

Tuner in Training
    what about disconnecting the battery will that reset it? it works on a few ford products.

You can also pull the fuse going to the TCM.

Ian
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah i'm in Aust. Yeah i know its meant go through all the clutch sequences and rev up and carry on so thats why knew it wasn't working but the trans place that built it uses HPT so he's been talking with our part of HPT here to try and sort out wat to do?
    Sounds like a very enlightened trans shop realising that that the fast learn is worthwhile. Which one is it?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Sounds like a very enlightened trans shop realising that that the fast learn is worthwhile. Which one is it?
    Hi mate its sureshift automatics in Brisbane they have built some tough transmissions and it feels great and i have just over 500RWHP. They are starting to tune them aswell as this is the problem initially from the factory. very nice shifting now!!

Advanced Tuner
    Hi mate its sureshift automatics in Brisbane they have built some tough transmissions and it feels great and i have just over 500RWHP. They are starting to tune them aswell as this is the problem initially from the factory. very nice shifting now!!
    Has HPT solved the fast learn issue for them yet? The competition handles it ok.

I don't have any concrete answers. But I click on the "Trans Adapt : Reset" and "Trans Fast Adapt : Reset" buttons whenever I change anything with the transmission. Mainly on recommendations I've read here. I've tried the real procedure with a Tech II. Not a fun experience. Something went screwy and I had a box full of neutrals. Could easily have been my mistake. Still, I don't plan on messing with that again. Certainly not every time I try something new with the transmission. Wouldn't enjoy watching the car beat on itself all those times.

My half baked theory is that the Tech II does all the tests and figures out what all the learned settings should be. Where as the HPTuners buttons just wipe them out and let the trans start relearning them again from scratch. I do know that the "busy" (or whatever it is called) LED on the interface does flash very briefly when you click the buttons. So I figured something must be going on.

I've always wondered what the "Trans Adapt : Preset" button does. Never tried it.

If I were interested in performing the real test again without a Tech II, I might look into using another popular software package. Just for that test, not for tuning. I think it would be free.
    2009 G8 GT